Metals USA Reviews

C. Lourenco Goncalves

1. Good place to be

Current Employee - Plant Administrator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Plant Administrator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Metals USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay benefits and extras. You'll enjoy the family style environment and all that metals USA offers its employees. They take care of their people.

Cons

Hot sweaty redundant work. Also the steel industry is a "good ole boys" club- most of these men and women have been doing this for their entire lives and so have their fathers and mothers- it's hard to get in because they hand pick their people from their family and friend groups.

2. warehouseman

Former Employee - Warehouseman in Seekonk, MA
    Former Employee - Warehouseman in Seekonk, MA

Pros

there is not many pros here. the co-workers are good guys,night manager is a good guy.The beggining pay is low for the job,but this does increase to rate after time.

Cons

worst company you could ever work for. no heat,leaking roof,alot of times you can't get the protective equipment and/or tools you need for the job. Trained to take as much time as needed and work safely and get the job done right the first time.This all changed once on the job; gogo go ,hurry up,your not working fast enough.No concern for safety.

Advice to Management

work more closely with employees to find out what they need and any problems you could help with. Pay employees what you owe them when you owe it to them. Make sure employees have the proper protective gear and tools they need for the job.

Frustrating. The company has tremendous opportunities, but poor leadership is hindering success.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Metals USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is acceptable. Reliance acquisition of Metals USA will bring much needed changes, but it may take too long.

Cons

Politics and poor leadership are major obstacles.

Advice to Management

Remove self-interested managers. Talent is eroding because of politics and self-interested managers.

5. Terrible

Pros

The company has enormous resources in the steel business.

Cons

Management there is only interested in promoting themselves and will do or say anything that benefits them to upper management. I was in charge of my own division and received minimal help from the division vice presidents. They were interested in only their jobs and how they can get promoted to the next level. They never did anything to help their new employees. If you work their in a management position, be ready to receive the minimal help from you superiors, it is all for themselves!

Advice to Management

They all need to stop being intimidated by the CEO and the hierarchy of the company and stop being robots.

6. This was one of my best positions. I loved it!

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Metals USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Independent, worked on important projects, trained, counseled and managed

Cons

None - I have no cons about this company- they were well rounded

Advice to Management

None- Management was very professional, understanding and all times very dedicated to their work and company.

7. Electrical Maintenance Technician

Former Employee - Electrical Maintenance Technician in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Electrical Maintenance Technician in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Metals USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with strong and experienced maintenance crew with over 5yr. safety record.

Cons

Worked Night Shift 6pm-6am mon.-fri. and no helper most of the time.

Advice to Management

In charge of all Maintenance responsibilities during night shift hours.

8. Worst company that I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Account Manager in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in North Canton, OH

I worked at Metals USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting a paycheck. But promised commission and this was a broken promise.

Cons

I've worked in the metals industury for over 20 years. This company has the worst General Manager and the worst Sales Manager that I have ever experienced Iin any job. Be prepared for negative assaults when you achieve major sales sucess. Sounds insane but its the real truth here.

Advice to Management

Upper managment needs to replace both the General Manager and the Sales manager at this location. Your business is being injured by them. Your assets are being mismanaged and damaged. Your human assets are being injured and wasted

Ready to move on

Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX

I have been working at Metals USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is not many positive things I can say. The option of having flex hours is good I guess.

Cons

Corporate Accounting is a sweat shop. All work "NO PAY". No annual reviews are done so there are no annual raises. Insurance sucks. 2 days sick time a year which sucks for parents with small children. Employees are not appreciated. No bonuses or other incentives.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your devoted, valuable employees. Give notice to those who go above and beyond. Don't blatantly show favoritism between your employees. Give financial compensation to those who show improvement as well as take on others responsibilities.

10. Dissapointing

I have been working at Metals USA full-time

Pros

Most of the people in the office enjoy working together. It is a small office and a tight knit group.

Cons

Management is a joke. They push and push that we need to be a team, but they keep us seperated. Litterally. The office personell are not allowed to talk with the warehousemen.

11. The start of my steel career was here

I worked at Metals USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smaller, family oriented and close knit. Definitely have a few key "older" people who are the glue of the company and strive to keep it's good reputation. Pretty good benefits.

Cons

Pay is not so good, definitely a "good ol' boys club" and jobs and advancement are based on who you know and how well you buddy up.

Advice to Management

Management definitely needs more professionalism displayed at this company

RSS Feed </> Embed