Metaswitch

Add Photos

Metaswitch CEO John Lazar

John Lazar

Great company overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEvery effort is made to be fair and equitable. Work is hard, but rewards are great

ConsMetaswitch went through a difficult period where senior management was not great. They are back on course now.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more creativity.

Training

Trainer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat company with excellent prospects.

ConsCustomers are thight with money this year.

For benefits and working conditions

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent benefits and conditions, lots of good and smart people, open sharing culture, great work life balance, great opportunities for travel and relocation.

ConsLow pay, happy to take advantage of employees who don't stick up for themselves by giving them boring tasks, bad managers for example. Managers have too much responsibility for managees (there is no HR department worth the name) which can exacerbate the above issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore checks and balances to ensure equal opportunities across the company are needed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive environment where management genuinely cares about the employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alameda, CA

ProsFull of smart, talented people - great colleagues
    Culture of quality, doing the job right
    Commitment to people - the company is owned partly by an "employee benefit trust" so is run with the employees' interests central to key decisions

ConsStill learning how to grow into a multinational organization - can be a bit UK-centric

Advice to Senior ManagementIT and HR systems / processes need upgrading to become a truly world class organization. E.g. no employee handbook, antiquated intranet, weak collaboration tools

Clearly was a great company once... but not these days

Graduate (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros* Mostly smart people
    * Working hours were civilised
    * Lots of socialising with colleagues, subsidised drinks and company events
    * Lots of lunchtime sport

ConsI worked there for four years before leaving for the City.

* When I was there, there was an extremely hierarchical management structure, which was inefficient. I didn't get an 'initial' three-month review for over a year, and if I wanted to communicate something to management, it had to go all the way up the chain and down again.
    * They don't offer great opportunities for development and growth.
    * They almost never sack people, which might sound like a good thing, but I came to learn is actually a red flag for a company. It meant that the better / more personable coders tended to move on, while the people who wouldn't get a job elsewhere stayed on.
    * Salary is opaque and not competitive... beware (at least when I was there) the figure quoted to graduates is a "total package", which includes e.g. value of healthcare, employer contributions to pension, etc. Clarify the actual salary before accepting the offer, and sadly, take any assurances about profit share or future salary growth with a lorryful of salt.

Ultimately the reasons that I left were the uncompetitive salary, the lack of opportunities for development, and the sense that MetaSwitch was stagnating.

However, there is a strong company culture, and I met some great people there (though it has to be said, they have all now also left...).

Great Company Culture!

ProsRich history and understanding how to take care of their employees.

ConsSpread across two continents (UK and US) some aspects could be delicate to manage.

Supportive employer with strong emphasis on personal development

Software Development Manager (Current Employee) Enfield, England (UK)

ProsLots of very sharp people, with a rewarding blend of technically challenging work and a supportive environment. There's a very strong focus on personal development, and the company is getting gradually better at properly delegating responsibility.

ConsThere have definitely been growing pains as the company has got larger, older and multi-national, and it feels less cohesive as a result.
    Bonuses have been very lean recently, and there's some concern about salary competitiveness for specific groups of employees.

Excellent employer who genuinely cares about their employees

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt feels as though the company actually values its employees and their opinions, and that includes the canteen and reception as well as the engineers and management. There's no large HR department; your line manager is also your personnel manager, which means you get personal support from someone who manages you day-to-day, and there's a lot of focus on personal development.

ConsAs an engineer, there is a lot of technical debt -- stuff that was done badly a long time ago, and nobody has got around to fixing. The company seems to be getting better at handling this, but it's still frequently a drag.

Well-intentioned company and fun, but few career opportunities and pays below market rates

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThey will hire you with no software knowledge, and train you well technically in 1-2 years. You'll get as much responsibility as you want to take on, and plenty of exposure to lots of complex technology. There's a decent starting salary for a graduate, and some very flexible working hours.

ConsAfter 1-2 years, the remuneration becomes uncompetitive. Base salaries are low compared to other software jobs for your level of experience. There is little or no further training in e.g. management, personal development, certifications etc, and few career opportunities beyond the purely technical.

The company has an uncertain commerical outlook, so right now there's some pretty low morale and whether any bonuses will be paid is uncertain.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to what you're good at, and listen to what the organization is telling you.

Talented workforce, need to be treated better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNon-political environment, expectation to produce but never too much pressure, intelligent developers who in the main work well together to achieve good qulaity output

ConsBroken promises, low remuneration, lack of opportunity to progress career, poor morale over last couple of years, very little structured training

Worked for Metaswitch? Contribute to the Community!