Meteor Games

Updated Feb 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Donna Powell

Games were great, management was unfocused

I worked at Meteor Games full-time for less than a year

ProsIt had a relaxed atmosphere, lots of creative ideas, nice location.

ConsThe company no longer exists due to money being withdrawn by advertising partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to structure more robust financial backing that doesn't count so heavily on just one financial partner.

Great peers poor management

I worked at Meteor Games full-time for less than a year

ProsEnergetic, creative environment, great people to work with

ConsGreat people except management. Owners let people go depending on their results from gambling on Vegas over the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and treat the business as business not as a grade school playground

A promising opportunity vanquished

Quality Assurance (Former Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I worked at Meteor Games as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI was allowed to work on my own devising test cases and having ownership of areas of test. The area we worked in was enclosed and allowed for free communication among our team.

ConsPoor treatment overall towards contractors and their opinions on the project. No unity whatsoever. Massive downtime between builds, lack of communication between the devs and publishers funneling information about changes to our team.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your employees advise you..

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Team, Terrible Owners

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Meteor Games full-time for more than a year

ProsI loved the people I worked with at Meteor. Truly some amazing talents who were a joy to work alongside. People really pulled together to do wonderful work, and I'd take that team of people with me anywhere.

ConsBad management calls crippled the company, alongside some truly bizarre business decisions that ultimately spelled its doom. I remember the execs paying a rather large chunk of change to get one of the best producers in the business working there -- and then refused to listen to his advice (he was eventually fired for the sin of pointing out they were wrong too often.) I'd work without hestitation with any members of the game teams that worked at Meteor, but never, ever, ever again with the people who owned the company and held the top positions. Things got very sketchy at the end, from laying off all but a handful of employees without severance to reneging on hiring agreements with prospective employees after they'd already quit their jobs and moved out to Beverly Hills. Truly a horror story.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your bottom line relies on an online presence, maintaining server stability should be your number one priority. Great art and solid programming isn't going to help if your server team can't keep your games operational.

Great team

I worked at Meteor Games

ProsMeteor Games had a great team of people, especially at the end. It's a shame the glass door closed. Meteor had a sense of camaraderie not found in many jobs and the team has largely stuck together even after the doors closed. Many of the staff pitched in to help others find jobs after 90% of the company was laid off.

ConsProduct lacked direction. More than one game was stopped or redone completely after an entire team was ramped up for production.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild games that are successful in the marketplace, not just pet projects of the founders.

Good gaming company - too bad it is almost gone.

I worked at Meteor Games

Pros* Excellent work atmosphere - team is like a family.
* Good Facebook games.
* Management is open to flexi-time.

Cons* Management changes mind frequently.
* Company is now almost dead.
* Senior managers are not consulted even though they may contribute.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your senior managers and/or directors - they bring a lot of experience to the company and this experience can be leveraged to the company's benefit.

Chaos

Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Meteor Games

ProsExciting Projects, location, field of business

ConsBad Management and decision taking from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe humble and listen to others have to say. Treat people with fairness and transparency

Great collegues, horrible executives

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Meteor Games

ProsThere is an amanzing group of people that was brought together with the plan of creating a world class game studio. My peers were pretty amazing at accomplishing alot with very little direction.

ConsQuite simply the C-level execs and founders of the company are utterly useless. When they aren't out of the office taking a trip to the Caribbean, Europe or someother exotic location they just caused confusion and showed a superb lack of judgement. Eveyone is entitled to their free time and vacations but when everyone else has to work the weekend while you cut out, something is wrong.

Again the management had know idea on how to run a creative company. The goal is to have a sucesssful and profitable company, but you have to focus on creating a quality product first.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust get out of people's way. You hire people to do a job, let them do it. Make sure to tell people what is going on within the company and the strategy. You can't sit in your offices and expect information to go out through osmosis.

Great coworkers, horrible management

I worked at Meteor Games

Pros-Talented art team
-Nice coworkers
-Free soda
-Social game experience is a good thing
-You can occasionally run into celebrities in the hallway of the office building

Cons-Horrible upper management. They change direction every five minutes and are awful at communicating it out to the team. Instead, they expect their employees to be psychic and just magically know what it is they want.
-Employees get fired weekly. Literally. An employee can get fired for anything at all - asking a question, or looking at someone funny, or just not making the founders happy that week. Don't get too attached to your coworkers as they can be gone in a flash.
-This company is clearly just a plaything for the very rich founders. They don't care about long-term strategy, or their players, or their employees. It appears to just a big game to them. They frequently take long vacations while their employees struggle to get their games done, only to come back and change direction again.
-There is no solid project management. Deadlines are just whims and don't mean anything. Employees are expected to work nights and weekends, and be prepared to be fired if you dare take time off.
-Employees are seated on tiny desks with no cube walls, have no admin access to their computers, and are not given telephones.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement, you need to trust your employees to make decisions, and realize that your employees are people with lives that are every bit as important as your own. You need to change the balance of power at the company - and not allow people who have no business sense to make all of the decisions. Meteor's reputation is already so damaged in this industry that it may be too late to save it. It might be best to leave and start again without the founders.

Friendly coworkers, horrible management

I worked at Meteor Games

Pros- immediate co-workers are friendly and fun to work with
- occassional nerf wars

ConsTo anyone thinking of submitting your resume to Meteor Games, read through all the reviews here thoroughly. What has been said is beyond true. The problem with Meteor Games isn't at the ground level. It's not the design, the flash, the php, or the art team that has the problem. Your coworkers will be hardworking, funny, talented, and easygoing people.

Be wary of the executive team, too many cooks in the kitchen, and absolutely no trust in the good people of the company to do their jobs. The exec's would rather fire an employee (or two or three!), than admit to their own incompetence. The turnover rate is ridiculous.

While working here, you will constantly wonder if you'll be on the next up for the firing squad. There will be discriminatory commentary, retaliation by the executive team for going through the proper channels to voice your dissent with upper management, and re-occurring sudden major changes to a game at the very last minute. You will be asked why you're asking for pertinent information needed to do your job, and chastised for asking for any sort of details or feedback to give the execs exactly what they wanted. The biggest overall problem: they don't know what they want. Directions will shift with little to no information being passed down to the teams. Let me make this crystal clear: in order to work here, you must be psychic.

Payscale? Horrid for industry standard. In the same breath, they will make you feel guilty for asking for a raise, while talking about the extended trip overseas they absolutely must take (flying first or business class... of course).

Location: Horrible. Nothing within walking distance as far as food places go, so you must either bag your lunch, or go out. Note, the lunch time given is 30 minutes, far too short for any real lunch. If you take an hour, you must make that 30 minutes.

How to work here: As long as you do not have to directly speak with, take direction from, or engage in any type of conversation with the executive team, you'll be fine. Unfortunately what this means is that if you have any vision about moving up in the company, it only means you're a step closer to being fired.

Take the advice of another reviewer, if you MUST work here, keep your resume updated, and if you can interview with another company, jump ship from here as fast as you can, because this is a sinking ship. Meteor Games ranked in the top ten of Social Gaming back in 2009, but since has fallen past the rank of #198 as noted on AppData.com's Developer Leaderboards.

This is a company that could be awesome, but unfortunately, lives up to its name. Because what else do Meteor's do except burn up in the atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the teams do their jobs. Let the creative teams be creative, let the programmers come up with the solutions. You have hired immensely talented people, and you squander their talent with your inability to direct or manage them. Stop pretending you know better than the rest of your company, because many of these people have years more experience than you do.

Worked for Meteor Games? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meteor Games reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meteor Games CEO Donna Powell . All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Meteor Games employees.