Methanex Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
John Floren

Work culture here is second to none!!!

Current Employee - RC Team in Geismar, LA
    Current Employee - RC Team in Geismar, LA

I have been working at Methanex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have worked hard to find a group of individuals who are friendly and fun loving and want to work as a team toward a common goal. I am exited to come to work everyday. The benefits and pay are just the icing on an already awesome cake.

Cons

Construction.... It's an inevitable process, but I can't wait for the day when it's no longer a construction zone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I plan on retiring from here.

Best Employer in my Career

Current Employee - Engineer in Geismar, LA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Geismar, LA

I have been working at Methanex full-time

Pros

- Coworkers are very competent, intelligent, and helpful.
    - Coworkers share one vision, which ensures that everybody is striving for the same goals, with the same high standards.
    - Fun team building activities; coworkers feel more like extended family.
    - Great company culture; strong emphasis on work/life balance. Relaxed office atmosphere.
    - 9/80 work schedule; flexible.
    - Interesting and rewarding work; challenging problems to solve.
    - Top notch compensation and benefits package in the petrochemical industry.
    - Small town feel (1100 employees); there is easy access to upper management. I don't feel like a number here. Not plagued by too many levels of middle-management, like much larger corporations.
    - Strong emphasis on safety and doing what's right.

The best employer I've had in my career. The company really cares about its employees. I plan to work here until retirement (20 years from now).

Cons

- Traffic to/from the plant; this is temporary because there are several large expansions at neighboring plants.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. As the company grows, maintain the same company culture and focus on your employees. We work hard because we love to work here. Never lose the small town feel.

Nice benefits but career opportunities are not there

I have been working at Methanex full-time

Pros

Has good benefits for such a small company.
    Enjoy the people I get to work with.

Cons

If you're not considered a high potential, you will not get the development needed in order to move into other roles. Basically have to play office politics with local senior management in order to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is meant to be strategic. And by having that mentality seems very snobbish on the part of management. People that are "strategic" will want to move up the ladder quickly and will not be happy staying in a role for more than a year, 2 years at the most. Do what the company says it does by developing all of your employees and not just your "high potentials". Everyone needs a chance to develop even if management thinks otherwise.

5. DCS Administrator

Former Employee - Distributed Control Systems Administrator in Medicine Hat, AB (Canada)

I worked at Methanex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, a lot of Company Functions. Training offered.

Cons

New type of work, not much support.

6. 10 Years in Methanex

I have been working at Methanex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great company with values.
    - Walk the talk
    - Safety is first
    - very good benefits
    - work life balance is great.

Cons

- Training and development still needs improvement.

Advice to Management

- Focus on career development.

Great organisation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at Methanex

Pros

Great company to work for. It has a great culture and you really do get the sense that there is "One Team" in getting things done. Each person is given a lot of responsibility and expected to perform; this is empowering. Managers are couched to support their staff and encourage professional development. Overall, a very professional company with a good working environment.

Cons

Very lean and flat organization with specific hiring needs which means that they do not have regular recruitment drives. It depends on need and openings at any given time.

An interesting experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Damietta (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Damietta (Egypt)

I have been working at Methanex

Pros

Follows Responsible Care ethic. Safety comes first. The management is trying to create a dialogue with its employees

Cons

No well developed career path. High turnover. Training and development are not a priority. Promotions are not defined according to clear standards.

Wonderful Company - Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Methanex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Methanex Is a great company for anyone that is willing to work hard and earn their opportunities. I have worked there for almost 2 years and have loved every minute of it. My boss has given me every opportunity to excel in my work and participate in training programs. Lots of opportunities to advance in the company (If you're willing to put in the time and effort) Lots of opportunity for young people to interact with everyone in the company all the way up to senior management. Great culture of social responsibility and community. When it comes to health + safety, the company goes above and beyond to make it a #1 priority. A very social culture where colleagues regularly spend time with each other outside of work. Compensation is on par (if not better) than most other large companies operating in Vancouver, and the benefits package is phenomenal. Working for Methanex is a no-brainer if you have the opportunity!

Cons

Depends heavily on the department, but due to the nature of the business ( Logistics) , the hours can be quite eratic ( 24/7), so it certainly takes the right personality and mindset to be successful in certain positions.

Advice to Management

While it is a delicate balance, clarifying the boundaries of responsibility between departments would help reduce inter-departmental conflict and help improve teamwork.

Methanex walks the talk on development of employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Methanex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global opportunities, support for learning and development of employees, a great work hard/play hard environment. The company hires for culture, so there are a lot of like minded people walking around the halls - lots of lunch running groups, lots of after work drinks. The people I work with are the same kind of people that I want to hang out with on the weekends. Compensation is competitive and time off policies very generous.

Cons

Expectations are really high of employees at Methanex.

Advice to Management

Commitment to support services (IT in particular) sometimes come up short.

Excellent employer with a great reputation

Current Employee - Finance in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Finance in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Methanex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Strong emphasis on professional development and growth within the company for your career
    - Excellent work-life balance with time-off as well as social activities for all types of people
    - Very competitive compensation for any grade level in the organization

Cons

- Company is susceptible to swings in the general economy as with any commodity-based business
    - Flat organization which creates decentralization in most functions (this can be good if it suits you)

Advice to Management

Consider a better retirement compensation package for employees of all levels.

RSS Feed </> Embed