Methanex

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
3.7

John Floren

Work culture here is second to none!!!

Current Employee - RC Team in Geismar, LA
    Current Employee - RC Team in Geismar, LA

I have been working at Methanex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have worked hard to find a group of individuals who are friendly and fun loving and want to work as a team toward a common goal. I am exited to come to work everyday. The benefits and pay are just the icing on an already awesome cake.

Cons

Construction.... It's an inevitable process, but I can't wait for the day when it's no longer a construction zone.

Keep up the great work! I plan on retiring from here.

Best Employer in my Career

Current Employee - Engineer in Geismar, LA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Geismar, LA

I have been working at Methanex full-time

Pros

- Coworkers are very competent, intelligent, and helpful.
    - Coworkers share one vision, which ensures that everybody is striving for the same goals, with the same high standards.
    - Fun team building activities; coworkers feel more like extended family.
    - Great company culture; strong emphasis on work/life balance. Relaxed office atmosphere.
    - 9/80 work schedule; flexible.
    - Interesting and rewarding work; challenging problems to solve.
    - Top notch compensation and benefits package in the petrochemical industry.
    - Small town feel (1100 employees); there is easy access to upper management. I don't feel like a number here. Not plagued by too many levels of middle-management, like much larger corporations.
    - Strong emphasis on safety and doing what's right.

The best employer I've had in my career. The company really cares about its employees. I plan to work here until retirement (20 years from now).

Cons

- Traffic to/from the plant; this is temporary because there are several large expansions at neighboring plants.

Keep it up. As the company grows, maintain the same company culture and focus on your employees. We work hard because we love to work here. Never lose the small town feel.

Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Geismar, LA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Geismar, LA

I worked at Methanex as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Given meaningful projects for an intern. Everyone was always willing to help when i had questions. competitive pay. New location made everyone excited to work and contribute.

Cons

New organization in geismar which means not all procedures are in place. Small time frame makes it difficult to complete all the assigned projects.

Continue the current management practices as the plant become operational.

Nice benefits but career opportunities are not there

I have been working at Methanex full-time

Pros

Has good benefits for such a small company.
    Enjoy the people I get to work with.

Cons

If you're not considered a high potential, you will not get the development needed in order to move into other roles. Basically have to play office politics with local senior management in order to get promoted.

Not everyone is meant to be strategic. And by having that mentality seems very snobbish on the part of management. People that are "strategic" will want to move up the ladder quickly and will not be happy staying in a role for more than a year, 2 years at the most. Do what the company says it does by developing all of your employees and not just your "high potentials". Everyone needs a chance to develop even if management thinks otherwise.

An interesting experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Damietta (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Damietta (Egypt)

I have been working at Methanex

Pros

Follows Responsible Care ethic. Safety comes first. The management is trying to create a dialogue with its employees

Cons

No well developed career path. High turnover. Training and development are not a priority. Promotions are not defined according to clear standards.

Wonderful Company - Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Methanex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Methanex Is a great company for anyone that is willing to work hard and earn their opportunities. I have worked there for almost 2 years and have loved every minute of it. My boss has given me every opportunity to excel in my work and participate in training programs. Lots of opportunities to advance in the company (If you're willing to put in the time and effort) Lots of opportunity for young people to interact with everyone in the company all the way up to senior management. Great culture of social responsibility and community. When it comes to health + safety, the company goes above and beyond to make it a #1 priority. A very social culture where colleagues regularly spend time with each other outside of work. Compensation is on par (if not better) than most other large companies operating in Vancouver, and the benefits package is phenomenal. Working for Methanex is a no-brainer if you have the opportunity!

Cons

Depends heavily on the department, but due to the nature of the business ( Logistics) , the hours can be quite eratic ( 24/7), so it certainly takes the right personality and mindset to be successful in certain positions.

While it is a delicate balance, clarifying the boundaries of responsibility between departments would help reduce inter-departmental conflict and help improve teamwork.

great company

Current Employee - Internship in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Internship in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Methanex as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

very considerate for this time-honoured company

Cons

few people in my team so a bit boring

Methanex walks the talk on development of employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Methanex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Global opportunities, support for learning and development of employees, a great work hard/play hard environment. The company hires for culture, so there are a lot of like minded people walking around the halls - lots of lunch running groups, lots of after work drinks. The people I work with are the same kind of people that I want to hang out with on the weekends. Compensation is competitive and time off policies very generous.

Cons

Expectations are really high of employees at Methanex.

Commitment to support services (IT in particular) sometimes come up short.

Excellent employer with a great reputation

Current Employee - Finance in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Finance in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Methanex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Strong emphasis on professional development and growth within the company for your career
    - Excellent work-life balance with time-off as well as social activities for all types of people
    - Very competitive compensation for any grade level in the organization

Cons

- Company is susceptible to swings in the general economy as with any commodity-based business
    - Flat organization which creates decentralization in most functions (this can be good if it suits you)

Consider a better retirement compensation package for employees of all levels.

Operations admin assistant

I have been working at Methanex

Pros

promotion, compensation, one team with one vision

Cons

load of work as I work with a huage team