Methode Electronics

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014

Methode Electronics President, CEO, and Director Donald W. Duda
Donald W. Duda

Very understaning and flexible employer.

I have been working at Methode Electronics (less than an year)

Pros

Lenient with time off and have an orderly, non-stressful work environment. Very stable and secure, they are not likely to fire someone except in serious circumstances. Okay benefits.

Cons

They do not pay as well as some other companies.

Paying the intellectual laborers, like myself, a higher wage will help retain more talent. I'm likely to leave after I get the experience I want here, I doubt I will be offered the salary I would like to stay and I know other companies will pay fairly for the skills I have.

Quality Manager

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Methode Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is nothing to consider unless you like free bagels

Cons

Management is clueless on how to lead a company

Quality is not even an afterthought at Methode

Too many H1B types

Former Employee - Commercial Manager in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Commercial Manager in Southfield, MI

I worked at Methode Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, local management tries to communicate, but there is a much different agenda afoot most of the time as directed by Chicago headquarters that NEVER visits. Bagel Monday's is good.

Cons

Chicago has minimal tolerance for major automotive customers. Headquarters management keeps far away from day to day, allowing them to be outwardly critical to local automotive team that now provides more than two thirds of company billings.

I am confident that the Southfield office has abandoned US citizens in favor of lower cost H1B visa types. Farsi would be a good second language here.

Decent company to work for (southfield, mi office)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Methode Electronics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bagels on Mondays, often free food is in the lunchroom, decent pay, located near major expressways, management is understanding for time off needed for emergencies, quiet work environment, small enough company that one person can actually make a difference rather than being just a cog in the machine. Company is growing, seems to have found direction and winning business. You are not smothered in paperwork and processes. You can actually get stuff done in a short amount of time. Flexable hours and lunchtimes. Company picnics happen a couple times a year.

Cons

Benefits are probably a little below the industry average. You get insurance, 401k, but company seems to be shifting more of the premiums to the employee. You also have to participate in a health program called Vitality in order to get rates that are affordable. You get the major holidays off, but no more. You are required to work between Christmas and New Year's unlike everyone else in the auto industry. You can get those days off but you have to burn vacation time. Communication from executive level management is non-existant. Only just recently did quarterly financials get communicated to employees. Interior of building is drab and uninspiring. No bonuses this past year inspite of the company's stock price tripling over the last 12 months. Company is also known for letting people go out of the blue. So if you notice you are feeling less busy lately, then get busy -- updating your resume.

More communication is needed. Such as: What are the company's goals? What are the criteria for bonuses? What type of new markets are you looking to get into?

Acknowledge the work the employees do in order to win businesses that make the stock price go up.

Back-stabbing environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Methode Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. Lack of advancement and support.

Cons

Can't trust upper management. Not willing to invest in employees, infrastructure or equipment.

Listen to floor management instead of telling them how it is.

Long Hiring Process, but satisfied in the end

I have been working at Methode Electronics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Methode is a well established electronics manufacturer. Coming from a large company to a smaller sized Methode has taken some adjustment, but in general the people are very supportive and there is a general desire to do things better across the entire workforce

Cons

There could be a little more delegation and some of their support systems could be updated. The ones used work, but not as efficiently as new systems

Need to have a more know long term strategy.

If you like political BS, back stabbing and poor management, work for Methode, you'll fit right in.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Methode Electronics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They pay weekly and give a semblance of a work life balance, but the pay is minimal compared to industry averages and you're hounded for taking time off.

Cons

Where to begin... You'll either work for a manager who doesn't know the product, doesn't care about the product or doesn't care about managing his group. Be prepared to regularly be thrown under the bus if you bring up any types of improvements that they can undertake. Management, at all levels, plays a polarizing, political game that makes upward mobility not only impossible, but frowned upon. Culture is that of doing whatever it takes (including lying, cheating and stealing). I had my manager tell me that I needed to fit better with the culture of the company and lie to get things done. Be prepared to work your tail off for little recognition and a lot of headache. There's discrimination in all portions of the hiring process as well as in corporate as well. If you are a woman or a minority, be prepared to get paid less and be treated poorly. Average age of employees at the corporate office is quickly approaching 60. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Change your culture or you'll run yourselves out of business. Stagnation at all levels is a negative form of change that will eventually leave you with too many employees retiring and not enough interested in working for an archaic organization.

Good Company to Work, Balanced Work Loads, and Flexible Schedule

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Methode Electronics as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

good working environment, nice experience

Cons

Group is too small. Learn by myself

more teamwork

lack of Management in some areas

Current Employee - Quality Liaison Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Liaison Engineer in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Methode Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some good grow opportunities, Good co workers .

Cons

Bad Manager's desition as they does not know the product, in detail.

need to be more involved with the product and ther people. that will result on a good Team work from up to low/

high turnover, managers don't know how to manage

I have been working at Methode Electronics full-time

Pros

bagels on monday, bbqs, lots of free food in break room
    friendly and interesting coworkers

Cons

high turnover
    systems don't work
    inexperienced managers micromanage whatever catchs their attention while ignoring big problems they don't understand or don't want to deal with
    you may be asked to go to the Mexico plant often depending on your job

need to start addressing real problems