Methodist Health System - Dallas

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stephen L. Mansfield

Have had some negative experiences eraly in my employment but as time as gone by the work environment has improved for m

Clinical Support Staff (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsHospital environment is small enough so that it is possible to have clinical input in most areas, but not so large as to be compartmentalized, as is the case with some large tertiary care hospitals.

ConsOpportunities for advancing, or breaking "out of the rut" have been limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not possible for me to know the quarter to quarter fiscal health of the company, but it seems like the corporate leadership does not have a clue what individual departments need, in terms of staffing, to even meet the minimum requirements of meeting the needs of patient care and implementation and maintenance of policies and procedureswhich are needed to comply with the various regulatory agencies. When employees leave, the positions are immediately "frozen," which disallows for keeping a full roster.

Working at Methodist in the IS department is normally a slow pace for work and plenty of time to have long lunches..

Systems Support Clinical Analyst II (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWe are all close in age (younger than 40) and all get along. Management is really good!

ConsWe work in the basement and it is really stuffy and gross. They can't regulate the air so some days it 30 degrees and others 90.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a better work environment for those in the office. Everyone is always getting sick and bringing it home to our kids.

Very Old Fashioned Company

Collector (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros-Pay was very good for my position with options for bonuses.
    - My particular work area (& others I noticed) was laid back with no micro-managing from supervisors, only other employees.
    -Lots of benefit options. You can get very low cost health insurance and health care w/ lots of different services if you choose to use Methodist facilities.
    -My office also had flexible work hours and days off which made for a better work-life balance.
    -Positive mission and values of the company. Methodist has a cross on the logo and that definitely reflects the mission and values of the company, and that is what makes Methodist different from other hospitals.

Cons-No company provided training at all. I was trained completely by my fellow coworkers, and inconsistently at that. Does not seem like a safe or smart business move considering this is HEALTHCARE.
    -No opportunities for advancement unless you can wait 10-15 years for someone to retire.
    -Very old fashioned, using outdated software and equipment. Healthcare today is cutting edge and this company is definitely behind the times.
    -Methodist spends little to no money on its employees, meaning that you will not get any new equipment until you absolutely have to have it. My office was using outdated computers that barely ran the software we used, & with tiny monitors and broken desks and office chairs.
    -There is no communication between upper management, supervisors, and employees. It seemed like no one knew what the rules and policies were until the right person did something wrong.
    -Lots of sticks in the mud. Employees who have worked there 10, 15, or 20+ years and are no longer productive employees, they just waiting for pay day.
    -As someone else mentioned, there is lots of soliciting from the company. They are always wanting you to donate this or contribute to that.

Advice to Senior Management-Effective communication to all departments and employees is key.
    -Effective training programs establish a solid foundation and a safe and productive work environment.
    -Investing in your employees and equipment is essential in a technologically advancing health care industry, and could improve efficiency, profitability, and care delivery.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BEWARE! Danger in the work place.

EHR Analyst (Former Employee) DeSoto, TX

ProsThis company lost (2) Vice Presidents within 7 months. One died of medical issues and the other left the company due to medical issues. Too much stress. Very High turnover for small company.

ConsSmall company, with several older people in key positions. Company culture is straight out of 1950.
     New energy is not welcome. New ideas are not welcome. Proper protocol is not welcome. Misery loves company, beware, danger, do not enter. proceed to nearest EXIT! Very high turnover for small company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor New Vice President, follow your instincts and remove any personnel that cannot or will not look you in the eye, and except new ideas. Beware of anyone that is always complaining about other employees, because they are complaining about you to the Senior VP. Watch your back!

Poor Management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood leadership back 10 years ago.

ConsPoor Management - Unrealistic goals for employees. Management does not value employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people fairly and recognize their gifts and talents. Get to know people. Did not treat employees fairly. Making money is the bottom line.

5 year employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsManaged well from a financial standpoint

ConsPoor raises! Frequently strongly encouraging employee giving campaigns.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue all employees equally.

great place to work

Pharmacy Tech IV (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

Prosa lot of great people

Conspay could be a lot better

Advice to Senior Managementincentives

experienced team

Histocompability Technologist (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosflexible schedules, a lot of down time

Consmonotonous job; you will not learn a lot of things in this job, but what you do learn you will be able to do in your sleep

Work anywhere but the 5th floor

Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) Mansfield, TX

ProsVery good pay with bonuses for extra shifts (+$8); generally welcoming spirit in overall hospital; helpful orientation; make your own schedule.

ConsI worked on 5E the medical telemetry floor. It was always too busy and we were always understaffed and the nurses acted like they were too good to help the nurse aides. But they still wanted us to bathe all 12-18 patients we had, in addition to doing vitals every 4 hours AND hourly rounding. In addition to that, the management would ask you to complete stupid, inconsequential tasks like making sure empty rooms were stocked. Other than pay, they weren't making the overworking worth it. Many of the employees who've been there for years have left the hospital recently.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep at least 4 aides on the floor and hire sitters. It's more efficient and helps with patient satisfaction.

Don't Buy Into Their "Great Place To Work" line.

ProsThe people. Primarily the rank and file caregivers. Dr's and Charges tend to be too egotistical.

ConsPoor benefits. Worse Medical I have ever had. You get sick hours but can't use them unless you run out of vacation days. Never heard of such a thing. They might as well not bother.

In-House Police Force that is second only to the Stormtroopers of Nazi Germany.

Constantly being asked to give to this and that. Pay here is below average and still you get panhandled by the staff frequently.

Did I mention pay (see above). lowest average among all local health facilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more tolerant of your employees. Your H/R is a continuous revolving door. You will not gain a long-term experience base if you continue to drive off people.

Worked for Methodist Health System - Dallas? Contribute to the Community!