Methodist Health System - Dallas

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014
2.8

Stephen L. Mansfield

One of the best places to work!

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Methodist Health System - Dallas part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The workplace culture is outstanding! Methodist exhibits a team oriented environment from the bottom to the very top of the organization. Competitive salary.

Cons

As with working at any hospital, time off will vary.

N/A

There are better places to work

Former Employee - RN in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - RN in Dallas, TX

I worked at Methodist Health System - Dallas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large Health System
    Many ares and other facilities across the metroplex to transfer to
    Benefits are pretty good

Cons

Dallas Main Campus
    Sub par internship training
    Voted best places to work by employees "anonymously" but survey "demographic" questions make it obvious who's is completing them and the answers affect annual reviews
    Floor performance affects personal raises
    HR turns a blind eye to work place threats and violence
    No consideration for employee loyalty/seen as disposable

Less than the best.

Former Employee - PCC in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - PCC in Dallas, TX

I worked at Methodist Health System - Dallas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. There are too many fake meetings where they SEEM TO CARE BUT THEY DON'T IN THE END.

Cons

Many problems with reverse racism in this company. If There are problems in your department HR does not care about it nor does management and typically management IS the problem. It's very sad when the medical field focus should be about the patients and managers make it about themselves.

If you aren't in it as a team find another career. It isn't about you.

Have had some negative experiences eraly in my employment but as time as gone by the work environment has improved for m

Current Employee - Clinical Support Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Support Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Methodist Health System - Dallas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hospital environment is small enough so that it is possible to have clinical input in most areas, but not so large as to be compartmentalized, as is the case with some large tertiary care hospitals.

Cons

Opportunities for advancing, or breaking "out of the rut" have been limited.

It's not possible for me to know the quarter to quarter fiscal health of the company, but it seems like the corporate leadership does not have a clue what individual departments need, in terms of staffing, to even meet the minimum requirements of meeting the needs of patient care and implementation and maintenance of policies and procedureswhich are needed to comply with the various regulatory agencies. When employees leave, the positions are immediately "frozen," which disallows for keeping a full roster.

Working at Methodist in the IS department is normally a slow pace for work and plenty of time to have long lunches..

Current Employee - Systems Support Clinical Analyst II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Support Clinical Analyst II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Methodist Health System - Dallas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We are all close in age (younger than 40) and all get along. Management is really good!

Cons

We work in the basement and it is really stuffy and gross. They can't regulate the air so some days it 30 degrees and others 90.

Get a better work environment for those in the office. Everyone is always getting sick and bringing it home to our kids.

Very Old Fashioned Company

Current Employee - Collector in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Collector in Dallas, TX

Pros

-Pay was very good for my position with options for bonuses.
    - My particular work area (& others I noticed) was laid back with no micro-managing from supervisors, only other employees.
    -Lots of benefit options. You can get very low cost health insurance and health care w/ lots of different services if you choose to use Methodist facilities.
    -My office also had flexible work hours and days off which made for a better work-life balance.
    -Positive mission and values of the company. Methodist has a cross on the logo and that definitely reflects the mission and values of the company, and that is what makes Methodist different from other hospitals.

Cons

-No company provided training at all. I was trained completely by my fellow coworkers, and inconsistently at that. Does not seem like a safe or smart business move considering this is HEALTHCARE.
    -No opportunities for advancement unless you can wait 10-15 years for someone to retire.
    -Very old fashioned, using outdated software and equipment. Healthcare today is cutting edge and this company is definitely behind the times.
    -Methodist spends little to no money on its employees, meaning that you will not get any new equipment until you absolutely have to have it. My office was using outdated computers that barely ran the software we used, & with tiny monitors and broken desks and office chairs.
    -There is no communication between upper management, supervisors, and employees. It seemed like no one knew what the rules and policies were until the right person did something wrong.
    -Lots of sticks in the mud. Employees who have worked there 10, 15, or 20+ years and are no longer productive employees, they just waiting for pay day.
    -As someone else mentioned, there is lots of soliciting from the company. They are always wanting you to donate this or contribute to that.

-Effective communication to all departments and employees is key.
    -Effective training programs establish a solid foundation and a safe and productive work environment.
    -Investing in your employees and equipment is essential in a technologically advancing health care industry, and could improve efficiency, profitability, and care delivery.

BEWARE! Danger in the work place.

Former Employee - EHR Analyst in DeSoto, TX
    Former Employee - EHR Analyst in DeSoto, TX

I worked at Methodist Health System - Dallas full-time

Pros

This company lost (2) Vice Presidents within 7 months. One died of medical issues and the other left the company due to medical issues. Too much stress. Very High turnover for small company.

Cons

Small company, with several older people in key positions. Company culture is straight out of 1950.
     New energy is not welcome. New ideas are not welcome. Proper protocol is not welcome. Misery loves company, beware, danger, do not enter. proceed to nearest EXIT! Very high turnover for small company.

For New Vice President, follow your instincts and remove any personnel that cannot or will not look you in the eye, and except new ideas. Beware of anyone that is always complaining about other employees, because they are complaining about you to the Senior VP. Watch your back!

5 year employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Methodist Health System - Dallas (more than 5 years)

Pros

Managed well from a financial standpoint

Cons

Poor raises! Frequently strongly encouraging employee giving campaigns.

Value all employees equally.

Poor Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Methodist Health System - Dallas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good leadership back 10 years ago.

Cons

Poor Management - Unrealistic goals for employees. Management does not value employees.

Treat people fairly and recognize their gifts and talents. Get to know people. Did not treat employees fairly. Making money is the bottom line.

great place to work

Former Employee - Pharmacy Tech IV in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Tech IV in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Methodist Health System - Dallas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a lot of great people

Cons

pay could be a lot better

incentives