Methodist Healthcare System Reviews

19 reviews filtered by
Jamie Wesolowski

1. Occupational therapist

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System

Pros

Good variety of settings (NICU, PICU, outpatient, impatient, clinics)
    Management works with your schedule
    Supportive environment

Cons

The Children's Hospital is facing some challenges with growth
    Staff turnover can be high due to young therapists making life changes

The staff needs more opportunities for continuing education

2. Marketing and patient relations

Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid company. Great leadership.

Cons

Sector is under extreme financial pressures. If you are in Marketing budgets are shrinking and job security can be a concern.

Shift paradigm. Think out of the box. Diversify. Think beyond domestic market for growth opportunities.

3. Busy, fast-paced. Co-workers, supervisors, and management kept everything positive and mostly fun.

Former Employee - Food and Nutrition in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Food and Nutrition in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Methodist Healthcare System full-time

Pros

Great management, supervisors and co-workers. Good benefits, good pay, good working conditions.

Cons

High patient counts leading to hectic work environment. Sometimes under staffed.

Ensure employees have the tools to complete the tasks asked of them. Sometimes under staffed, sometimes equipment or software malfunctioned leading to greater difficulty in completing tasks.

5. Overall good experience

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at Methodist Healthcare System

Pros

Staffing is usually pretty good.

Cons

Nursing is difficult, especially in the hospital setting, regardless of the employer.

6. Gratifying work, lack of professional support.

Former Employee - Social Worker in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Methodist Healthcare System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I truly enjoyed my colleagues and felt that they valued the supportive services that I provided to patients and families.

Cons

Very heavy workload with excessive expectations for nights and weekends. Lack of professional support.

It would be helpful to assure that employees have reasonable work loads with adequate support in order to help meet patient needs.

Social Worker

Former Employee - Social Worker in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Methodist Healthcare System full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In all my career I have never worked in such an awful environment. There were no pros as far as I am concerned. I couldn't wait to get out of the toxicity.

Cons

Terrible management that doesn't listen to its employees. Staff are allowed to bully their peers and management don't acknowledge there is a problem. It's a vicious, back stabbing environment and extremely unhealthy. To survive you have to be brutal and cut throat or you will drown.

Listen, be pro-active and follow through. It's a sad and ugly environment.

8. Great place to work

I worked at Methodist Healthcare System

Pros

Fun environment. Worked during the magnet process so always trying to improve.

Cons

For profit hospital. Cafeteria in the dungeon but had good food.

Consistency among everyone

they treat employees like dirt

Former Employee - Anon in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anon in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Methodist Healthcare System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

decent benefits, but the upper management in several departments at the corporate office and Methodist Main, all have a mindset that it's acceptable to treat employees like slaves - and HR looks the other way

Cons

there is ZERO paid holidays - other hospitals have them, why doesn't MHS? the system administrators care more about HCAPS and patient satisfaction ratings than employees satisfaction - are they stupid enough to think that those two things are not related?

Senior management are a gang of bullies - open your eyes to how you treat people! This is not 1960 - you can grind up and spit people out until no one in this town wants to work for you.

10. Great Place to Work: Dedicate, Passionate Employees at a Community Minded, Financially Sound Organization

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collegial environment in majority of the departments, flexible schedule offers great work life balance, family oriented, Passionate Staff that truly care about their patients, in an era of Hospital financial instability, Methodist Facilities offer a stable and financially secure environment. As with any company, there is always room for improvement, but leadership is dedicated to improving employee engagement and addressing concerns that impact the abilitity for employees to thrive and provide the support our patients deserve.

Cons

invest more in career development and career growth opportunities, incentivize and recognize top performers...would help improve department moral as well as encourage performance improvement.

High Turn-Over For a Good Reason

Current Employee - Staff RN in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can transfer to other hospitals within San Antonio

Cons

Two words - Assistant Manager

I am an experienced RN with many years of hospital nursing behind me and am used to different work environments. I've worked here for 1-2 years and am finally making the time to write reviews online warning future applicants about the PCU floor at Stone Oak Methodist in San Antonio.

You should know that SOM hospital has only been open for 5 years so my guess is that the "green horn" managers/supervisors are left to "start up" this hospital.

PCU/Telemetry has a high turnover rate of nurses because of the following four reasons -

1. Extremely intense work environment
    2. Understaffed nurse aides for a 40-patient floor
    3. Our assistant nurse manager "unapproachable" as several nurses have put it.
    4. Morning huddle consists of verbal "beatings"

75% of the day shift nurses are looking for work elsewhere, including myself now. Save yourself time and energy and don't bother applying to this floor!

If you would ask the nurses on PCU how to increase morale and productivity on the floor, we have LOTS of ideas. We don't understand why you don't work harder to keep nurses on our floor. We're losing hundreds of thousands of dollars just in turnover rates! This is not hard to comprehend!