Methodist Healthcare System

2.7

Jamie Wesolowski

Great place to work

I worked at Methodist Healthcare System

Pros

Fun environment. Worked during the magnet process so always trying to improve.

Cons

For profit hospital. Cafeteria in the dungeon but had good food.

Consistency among everyone

they treat employees like dirt

Former Employee - Anon  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anon in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Methodist Healthcare System full-time for more than a year

Pros

decent benefits, but the upper management in several departments at the corporate office and Methodist Main, all have a mindset that it's acceptable to treat employees like slaves - and HR looks the other way

Cons

there is ZERO paid holidays - other hospitals have them, why doesn't MHS? the system administrators care more about HCAPS and patient satisfaction ratings than employees satisfaction - are they stupid enough to think that those two things are not related?

Senior management are a gang of bullies - open your eyes to how you treat people! This is not 1960 - you can grind up and spit people out until no one in this town wants to work for you.

Great Place to Work: Dedicate, Passionate Employees at a Community Minded, Financially Sound Organization

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collegial environment in majority of the departments, flexible schedule offers great work life balance, family oriented, Passionate Staff that truly care about their patients, in an era of Hospital financial instability, Methodist Facilities offer a stable and financially secure environment. As with any company, there is always room for improvement, but leadership is dedicated to improving employee engagement and addressing concerns that impact the abilitity for employees to thrive and provide the support our patients deserve.

Cons

invest more in career development and career growth opportunities, incentivize and recognize top performers...would help improve department moral as well as encourage performance improvement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High Turn-Over For a Good Reason

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can transfer to other hospitals within San Antonio

Cons

Two words - Assistant Manager

I am an experienced RN with many years of hospital nursing behind me and am used to different work environments. I've worked here for 1-2 years and am finally making the time to write reviews online warning future applicants about the PCU floor at Stone Oak Methodist in San Antonio.

You should know that SOM hospital has only been open for 5 years so my guess is that the "green horn" managers/supervisors are left to "start up" this hospital.

PCU/Telemetry has a high turnover rate of nurses because of the following four reasons -

1. Extremely intense work environment
    2. Understaffed nurse aides for a 40-patient floor
    3. Our assistant nurse manager "unapproachable" as several nurses have put it.
    4. Morning huddle consists of verbal "beatings"

75% of the day shift nurses are looking for work elsewhere, including myself now. Save yourself time and energy and don't bother applying to this floor!

If you would ask the nurses on PCU how to increase morale and productivity on the floor, we have LOTS of ideas. We don't understand why you don't work harder to keep nurses on our floor. We're losing hundreds of thousands of dollars just in turnover rates! This is not hard to comprehend!

Methodist a hospital with misguided priorities.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

There not many, there are a lot of hospitals in the Methodist system so if you are willing to move around to more than one facility you have a lot of work options.

Cons

They stopped all pay raises, they are cutting benefits, the work conditions are horrible in most of the large hospitals.

Remember your greatest asset is you work force if you continue treating them as your are you will not have much of a work force left soon.

It is an Ok place to work in.

Current Employee - Pct  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Pct in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System part-time for more than a year

Pros

Experiance, education reimbursement, flexible schedule,

Cons

Hardly any bonuses, low pay raises, short staff, management

Need to hire floor managers with more experiance, communicate with staff more often

I enjoyed the people I worked with.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System

Pros

Professionalism, flexibility.....I found my coworkers to be dedicated professionals.

Cons

Not much upward mobility for nursing staff.

The medical imaging department is very disorganized

Former Employee - CT Technologist  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - CT Technologist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Methodist Healthcare System

Pros

It is a new hospital, so employees have a stronger influence on procedures and protocols

Cons

Management does not necessarily have the experience needed to handle setting up a new department. Scheduling employees was very poor and often resulted in uncovered shifts. There was no call schedule in place, so uncovered shifts resulted in employees getting last minute calls asking if they can cover shifts.

Figure out the schedule and procedures and put them in writing. Employees would like to have a life outside of work, not constantly waiting for a phone call and then not being paid for on-call status.

methodist systems

Current Employee - Speech Pathologist  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Speech Pathologist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System

Pros

Facility offers flexibility with scheduling and competitive pay for clinical positions. Moderate opportunities for advancement at Methodist Systems.

Cons

Use of capital to reinvest in the physical structures of some of the hospitals. Needs updating which would improve patient's impression of facility and the care provided.

Overall the management has both employees and patients best interest at heart. Some challenges with reinvesting capital for up to date equipment at some facilities.

The Pay and Benefits are Great, but the handcuffs are tight

Current Employee - RN  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - RN in Houston, TX

I have been working at Methodist Healthcare System

Pros

Co workers are terrific, great attitudes, and a special camaraderie. Deliveries come up to the unit quickly, and other departments seem to care about making things work too.

Cons

Tic tock, we all wear devices that constantly monitor our whereabouts. We have to account for every second spent in a patient's room, an extra minute explaining test preparation, or assisting the patient in some small way, throws management in a tizzy. The 20 year old IV pumps just got replaced. The hallways may be spacious, but the patient rooms are cramped.

Take two steps back. Find ways of letting RNs make more decisions on our units. Spend less on advertising and public relations and more on what matters.

Worked for Methodist Healthcare System? Contribute to the Community!