Methodist Hospital of Southern California

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
2.6

Dan F. Ausman

Great for patients but not so great for RN's and other employees.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Methodist Hospital of Southern California full-time

Pros

Great patient care. I was a patient here myself and received great care. My family also received great care when they were admitted.

Cons

Employees are not well taken care of. Benefits cut, pay rate increases are frozen and rarely occurred in my many years of employment. RN's that are willing to help out get taken advantage of. This hospital does not like to train employees to work in other areas or departments making it hard to get varied experience. The pay is low compared to other hospitals and years of experience.

Well management is non- existent and sometimes for years. There is a high turn over rate and there is a need for a management training program so that the whole hospital is on the page. And if there was any type of management training it does not show.

been working there for twenty years and berely making 16.17 an hour

Current Employee - Distribution Tech Ll in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Distribution Tech Ll in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at Methodist Hospital of Southern California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Got a lost of experience on few departments like environmental cervices. transportation and distribution and surgery department

Cons

unfortunate the level of responsibility and the load of work is not compatible with the salary and three percent anally raise they offer

stop being gritty and selfish.... and spend more time with new training resources to your employees

Everyone was friendly however management/ CEO etc could be better.

Former Employee - Secretary in Arcadia, CA
    Former Employee - Secretary in Arcadia, CA

I worked at Methodist Hospital of Southern California part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really liked the people here everyone was helpful, and the environment feels like everyone was a giant family.

Cons

I hated being flexed and cancelled. Basically cancelled in the morning then called to come back in just to flex. I hated how they tried to cut pennies and dimes in every corner. Underpaid than surrounding hospitals and definitely under appreciated. Several co-workers left due to the fact that we never got full-time hours and were required to use personal vacation/sick time to cover those hours due to the fact that we were constantly being sent home.

Amazing community, good benefits, underpaid, under promoted, unappreciated, enjoyable work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA

I worked at Methodist Hospital of Southern California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people to work with for the most part
    - The community of the employees has a real desire to be like a family even though Administration no longer fosters a family atmosphere
    - The work is enjoyable

Cons

- Employees have not been given a real raise in over 5 years.
    -Promises made to promote were delayed and rejected due to politics and personal vendettas to keep costs low and keep their own job looking good to Administration for more than a year before I quit

Management should not make false promises to employees because as you can see, it will reflect poorly on the entire organization. Requests for promotions should go through more than one person for review and approval to avoid individuals in administration denying employees their hard earned promotions just so they can look good and keep costs down.

New Management provides little comfort to the new direction of the hospital

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at Methodist Hospital of Southern California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of your peers are good people to be around.

Cons

Top management fails to share important information with staff. Information that is shared has been watered down and sanitized compared to the actual truth.

Be more open with information and involve employees on the decision making process. This isn't a public company catering to shareholders. In this case, you need to listen to employees and patients for the direction. Don't just do what you believe to be correct because it worked at other places.

Since new management team came in almost one year ago, staff loyalty and morale have steadily declined.

Current Employee - Coordinator in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Arcadia, CA

Pros

In general, the staff is friendly and helpful. It is a nice family atmosphere. The longer one is here, the more comfortable it feels.

Cons

The current environment is not supportive of the staff in general. Some of the new management team appear to spend money freely on lunches, dinners, gifts, office renovations while reducing and eliminating benefits for the "rank and file." It is not a morale booster. People have been hired as well-paid directors while others have been loyally pulling their weight and more trying to fill in gaps, yet with seemingly no recognition or financial remuneration.

New leaders, you CAN learn from people who have been here and who have been doing their jobs well. Stop assuming that you know more than the people here. Any great leader will listen to those who know their jobs and will listen to their advice. This ship is headed straight for the rocks. There is no loyalty left. People are leaving faster than rats jumping from a sinking ship. Excuse the cliches, but that is exactly what it seems like.

Where excellent employee's stand out.

I have been working at Methodist Hospital of Southern California

Pros

It is a family-like atmosphere.

Cons

The communication from top management can be improved.