Metia

www.metia.com

Metia Reviews

2.6

Steve Elis

Definitely the best place to work!!

Current Employee - Account Director in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Account Director in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Metia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Metia totally deserves the award for the best place to work. I have worked in many places, but never had the opportunity to interact with the management as I have at Metia. They are as keen to help you grow as you are, there is a lot of scope for success and the learning opportunities are incredible.The co-workers are nothing short of artists, which explains the detailed interview process. Each person is hand picked, screened very severly, interviewed by a large panel and therefore, the results are stellar. The User Experience team is the best I have ever seen ( and I have worked at some of the top companies in the US ). The digital marketing team is enormously experienced, hard working and gifted. Which is the reason why each client is thrilled to work with Metia. The company, from a culture perspective, is nothing short of home. I have seen colleagues help each-other move, watch pets, help each other with work even when it is not really their area, the management is tremendously warm and helpful. They want to see you succeed, so they give you challenges . If you fail, they don't make you feel bad, they actually make time to teach you and show you how it is done. The President is an exemplary leader, his door and mind are always open to new ideas and suggestions, the Regional Vice President outstanding ( and very friendly!), The Director of Client Services is a walking computer, who knows everything and has a solution for everything. The HR team is very helpful in times of crisis and always supportive. Great benefits, great vacation policy, a great team with an OUTSTANDING body of work!

Cons

I wouldn't be working here if I didn't like it

Stay this warm and willing to help us grow.

Okay for entry-level individuals, experienced individuals should look else where

I worked at Metia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- 4 weeks vacation to start.

- Decent location with free parking.

- Okay place for individuals getting their foot in the door in digital marketing or the agency world.

- Good group of people to work with overall.

Cons

- Relatively low compensation compared to other agencies in the area.

- No 401k matching.

- Little to no support for training opportunities.

- Senior management needs a clear vision for the future, still relying too heavily on Microsoft work (their bread and butter).

- Extremely disorganized internal processes around estimating / scoping work, which lead to a lot of unsuccessful projects.

- Little to no support from IT when you need hardware or software to get your job done.

- I never felt like I could trust people in upper management or HR.

- The technology / development department is pretty much non-existent and has been in a steady decline for years.

- Due to all of the above, more experienced and skilled employees quickly realize that they will be better off somewhere else and move on after 2-3 years.

Proceed with caution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Metia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

4 weeks vacation, great health care (if you're an FTE)

Cons

If you're coming to work here as a full-time employee and don't mind cliques and can easily join the "in crowd", this could be your place. But if you're being hired as a temporary worker, I'd steer clear -- especially if you're on your own and not through a placing agency, as you'll have no one who will back you up -- you'll constantly be fighting battles.

I was hired to do someone's leave of absence and it was clear to me from the first day that I was a second class citizen. HR didn't even have the courtesy to welcome me and my paperwork was sent to my private email address and I was told to sign and drop off. I wasn't happy with the offer letter and had to rewrite it myself.

As for being introduced to people at the company? Oh, that didn't happen at all. I only met a few, and never once did the company's president greet me during my time there. I was pretty perplexed by how unfriendly and unwelcoming everyone was. Yes, people at Metia are busy, but too busy to even say hello or to show a new person the ropes???

I was asked to be added to the company's emails so I would know what was going on (after having found out as a "by the way" that the office would be closed on certain days and I wouldn't be working), but that never happened either, despite my pleading for this several times. Everything seemed to be on a "need to know" basis or I'd often find out about things only after just trying things out myself and later hearing how I did something wrong (which could have been avoided if people had merely had the foresight to let me know in the first place!).

Day to day life at Metia is chaotic. Projects seem to be done ad-hoc, with no real time for planning or preparation to do a halfway decent job. And yes, it's true what another reviewer wrote -- most projects -- 90% -- are for Microsoft…. so you are indeed a Microsoft extension employee and nothing more. This is not a true agency, for if it was -- they'd have more clients!

Some reviewers have complained about accounting for all of their time and how much was devoted to a particular project. I think this is pretty typical at agencies and I didn't think it was such as a hassle. The only thing that bothered me is that I was constantly reminded of how I didn't fill out my time sheets correctly, when I, in fact, had…. people forgot all the time that I wasn't paid for holidays and then would remind me of that constantly… again, second class citizenship became apparent each time.

On my last day, HR wasn't even present to collect my laptop or say good-bye and I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I also had to fight to see my pay stubs -- was I simply supposed to rely on trust? It certainly seemed that way.

Most employees have 1:1s. I did not, but would have welcomed this. I brought up concerns a few times (i.e. not having a phone or a monitor, keyboard or mouse (!!) in the beginning, receiving snarky emails from a co-worker who clearly thought he could abuse me), but they largely went unheard. Again, the second-class citizenship was very evident.

I've never encountered such a hostile work environment. I was happy when this contract came to an end.

Know what you're doing. Treat people with kindness and respect.

Wants to be world-class, doesn't know how

Former Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Metia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people are very nice, and most are easy to work with.
    Easy to get to (405 & 520, near park-and-ride).
    4 weeks vacation.
    Small gym in the office.
    Near Kirkland walking paths and Lake Washington.

Cons

Focus on billable time, either on making more hours OR not using as many as needed to ensure the project is "profitable".
    Sales writes contracts the production side can't deliver, then blames production.
    Dysfunctional systems and process.
    Talks about growing the business beyond the core of Microsoft, but struggles.
    Demanding clients call at all hours.

Move beyond time-billed contracts.
    Listen occasionally.

Metia is what you make of it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Metia full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    lots of time off
    flexible work hours
    opportunity to learn and be involved in as much as you want
    Great group of people to work with
    stable, long term client relationships

People that are complaining are not the successful people at Metia. If you have drive and are committed, you can and will succeed here. People that just want to sit around and have work handed to them, and have a timeclock mentality are not going to be happy here.

For an agency in this economy to not have done any lay offs is pretty commendable. To know that I have a job to come to every day, I am fairly compensated, I enjoy the people I work with, I am challenged in my role and don't work 50+ hours a week is amazing.

Cons

Whining co-workers that don't know how good they have it. A few bad apples trying to spoil the bunch
    People tend to hide in their cubes
    People expect to be promoted just for spending time here. Not for actually doing the work.
    Clients can be tough, but that is agency life in general

Great place to develop your skills and shape your own destiny and career path

Former Employee - Development Lead in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Development Lead in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Metia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great flexibility in setting your own career path and skillset
    - Good variety of projects to grow your skills and explore technologies
    - Awesome vacation benefits
    - Talented and experienced peers
    - Passionate leadership

Cons

- Revenue driven decisions (To be honest, in this economy this isn't much of a negative)
    - The business is highly Microsoft focused (Again, not really a negative considering the physical location of the Kirkland office)
    - Decisions are sometimes reactionary rather than proactive.

I wish the decision making process was a little more nimble.

Two Years of My Life I'll Never Get Back

Current Employee - Developer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Developer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Metia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Umm...I'm going to have to get back to you on that one. You do get to work at the intersection of 520 and 405.

Cons

Poor leadership.
    Microsoft grunt work.
    No community.

For more cons, the previous negative posts say it all - avoid Metia at all cost.

I don't think advice for the current management is going to work. I think new management is the way to go.

Opportunity does not live here

Current Employee - Account Team in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Account Team in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Metia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

4 weeks paid vacation.
    Free parking
    Close to the park and ride

Cons

There really is not much opportunity here. Previous reviews have said all that needs to be said. After one negative review, the Vice President of the company called a company meeting and shouted at everybody saying if we didn't like it we could leave. It really isn't that easy for most of us. We have families and responsibilities. Most of us took the job because it was over sold in the interview and in the job listing. Almost everybody was sold the dream of a great working environment, awesome opportunities, open standards and a hardworking but friendly atmosphere. It takes about a couple of months before you realize the truth, by which time it is harder to start the search for work, explain to your husband why you need to leave the job that you thought was going to be great.

There are also some very sneaky folks at all levels of the company. So much so that you never really know who to trust. The communal eating areas are always empty because nobody trusts each other. Senior management is very closed too. Sure, the VP made a question box for staff to ask questions that he answers in front of the whole company, but nobody asks a serious question because they are afraid that they might identify themselves. Instead, a few stooges ask wasted questions about personal habits and suchlike.

The company was voted in the top places to work for by Seattle magazine, but these things are really not hard to get into... you just have to enter and pay the fee. I worked in media before so I know how it works. As an editor you are so desperate to fill your slot of 20 top companies that you take anyone who enters and still try to find a couple more to make your number.

Overall, this is an unhealthy working environment. There is no trust, no opportunity, and not very much talent. The talented folks leave quickly, leaving behind the rest who are happy to just mail it in every day for a pay check.

There are much greater places to work. Move along, there is nothing to see here.

Replace the HR person with a real HR department, one that cares about the people, and one that understands that people need more than a bowl of candy to make their careers worthwhile.
    Change your attitude. The VP is all about making his target so he gets his own bonus from Corporate in the UK. Start measuring results instead of just measuring the nodding heads from all the "yes" people in middle management.
    The VP should also realize that almost nobody buys his lies once a month in company meetings. People just listen and say nothing so they can get back to their cubes and finish their uncontrollable workload.

Pathetic Place to Work

I have been working at Metia

Pros

Easy access to 520
    Nice coworkers

Cons

The Regional VP has no strategic vision for the company.
    The Regional VP is incapable of motivating his staff.
    The office is a dark dim version of the movie Office Space.
    The primary clients are small internal teams at Microsoft.
    The leadership team (including the Regional VP, Director of Operations, Director of Delivery, and Creative Director) are low-level players unable to drive company success.
    The company does not provide strategic vision for their clients, just tactical grunt work.
    They give you 4 weeks of vacation, but encourage you not to take it.

If you're looking for digital agency work in the Seattle area, try POP, Razorfish, Ascentium, ZAAZ, or Filter before coming here.

Stop pretending to be a cutting edge digital marketing agency. We're a staff extension of Microsoft. With your leadership we're only capable of low end web sites and 1990's e-mail campaigns.

A solid and supportive workplace

I have been working at Metia

Pros

The grass is pretty green here. 4 weeks vacation to start, benefits paid for 100% medical/dental/vision, fairly relaxed work environment, competent co-workers, solid work ethic for the most part, approachable management, training opportunities, fun team competitions (holiday decorating contest), great holiday gifts (iPad in 2010)

Cons

No matching 401k. The office is pretty drab, cubicle life could be spruced up a bit like other comparable agencies. I'm uncomfortable having clients visit our office.

It would be nice if the office was a more inspiring workplace and a show case for our talent and work.