MetraTech

Add Photos

Scott Swartz

Sales

I worked at MetraTech full-time for more than a year

ProsGood intelligent people with great ideas and passion for their daily tasks. Very misguided and unclear of daily/weekly goals.

ConsProduct was not on par with competition. Not priced to competition. The functionality of the product was not on par with competition.

Abusive Working hours and Work Ethics

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at MetraTech full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Team Engineers Professional Services Support.
Very friendly and Responsive to queries.
Good Pay.

ConsAbusive Working Hours
Lack of Respect by senior Management sometimes
No Visionary in the Company.
Brain drain
People are kicked out normally Just before they go to vacation or when they are vacationing.
Good Knowledgeable People get fired and new people with lesser skills are hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people who actually know their stuff so that the working hours for others are reduced

Great place place to work...while you are there

Techie Stuff (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA

I worked at MetraTech full-time for less than a year

ProsThey make you feel comfortable and part of the team; they train you; people are friendly; people actually help you learn and will talk to you when you have a problem; managers are approachable; good technology---databases, coding, and more; they had a team dedciated to helping with travel arrangements and stuff like that; nice kitchens; fussball table; great location in Waltham. I've heard they built a lounge for the employees.

ConsThe company appears to churn employees. People just disappear. I'm not sure management has a plan other than to save money. I looked online: Plenty of articles stating how MetraTech has solid financial backing yet is appears to be run on a shoestring. Just about everything and everybody seemed to be outsourced or a contractor, except for a few people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wasn't there long enough to be sure they knew what they are doing or not. I thought I saw a pattern: Company meeting announces good stuff, followed by another company meeting at which a bunch of people disappear, followed by yet another meeting at which people are told not to worry. Maybe I'd say they should be more honest with the troops. The CEO and the VPs, like I said, seemed nice and approachable.

For the optional stuff below:
I didn't interact much with Mr. Swartz. But, given the CEO is supposed to set the tone for the company, I reluctantly give him a thumbs down.
I'll recommend the company based on my short tenure. Just be prepared to be let go at any time.
The outlook? I left some months ago. I don't know what's going on there precisely, but I've heard some people were just let go again. So. I have to guess the outlook isn't good right now.

dysfunctional management, poor communication and lack of advancement and growth opportunities, employees have no voice

Engineering (Former Employee)

ProsSmart, experienced, supportive workers
Decent salary and benefits
Convenient location

ConsDysfunctional, inexperienced, unprofessional management
Lack of communication from upper management to employees, lack of communication across departments and teams
Little to no opportunities to advance and grow
Hard work taken for granted and undervalued
Micromanagement nightmare

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. Hire completely new management. Hire professionals with years of experience and actual management experience and people skills. Stop hiring under qualified people to manage teams they have no business even being a part of. Reward people for their hard work and dedication. At the very least offer thanks for work well done. Learn to appreciate your employees and offer them opportunities to grow and advance. Consider offering incentives such as options or bonuses or time off for exceptional work completed and deadlines met. Treat employees with respect and kindness. End the micromanagement nightmare. Start paying attention to why people are so dissatisfied and unhappy.

Consider hiring a PR firm and/or mental health professionals to provide training and support to those in charge so that they can learn how to treat others with kindness and respect. Give the employees a voice by allowing them to review their managers, directors and VPs. Take that insight and apply real positive changes.

Also the company showed very poor taste when the CEO decided to participate in a local news program about job growth and discussed upcoming hires when the company had just facilitated a reduction in force of approximately 25% of the workforce due to a 'downsizing and restructuring'. That downsizing took place at the end of January 2012, 10 days before going on the program to boast about growth and employment opportunities. Stop sending mixed messages to current and former employees.

Abusive hours

I worked at MetraTech

ProsSome nice people, decent location, interesting technologies

ConsTotally abusive of salaried employee work hours, excessive off hours work, poor information sharing, and much more pressure to find work arounds than to solve problems. No respect for vacations, family events, or sleep.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolve the underlying problems before moving forward with new stuff. Consider that employees work better when they are not constantly tired from working overtime.

Very poor company. I was one of the disappeared...

I worked at MetraTech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's funded by the CEO's father, so if you are liked, then you'll be OK (for senior management). The bell will toll for everyone, however.

ConsSoftware which is out-of-date, and the company has been going for more than a decade and has never broken the mold; in fact other technology is way ahead of metratech now. I reckon that the CEO doesn't actually know what a decent billing system is (it isn't batch based one where you have to write code for functionality!). I never could figure it out, and I'd seen a few! I'm in the fortunate position now of giving advice to those seeking billing solutions, and I would never recommend Metratech. I guess what goes around comes around.

Every few years they cycle around getting rid of their workers and key management when they don't hit the numbers; which is quite often. On the whole the other senior management where very second division.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up. It ain't going anywhere!

The little train that couldn't... but it keeps on trying...

I have been working at MetraTech full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNice, very bright and conscientious people. Superior workplace location.

ConsArbitrary, haphazard management. Some sudden layoffs, followed by management denial that anything was different. Also lost a lot of great people and talent through frustration and lack of advancement prospects. Long hours for engineers. Multiple issues with legacy product.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within the company - there's plenty of talented, highly experienced and loyal employees. Stop hiring managers who know little or nothing about the product - and take 2 years to bring up to speed. I wouldn't want to manage this company.

Sweatshop

I worked at MetraTech

Prosgreat people, good location, interesting product

Consbad, unprofessional management, total lack of respect to hard working employees, no appreciation for work being done

A Nightmare

I worked at MetraTech

ProsOverall good bunch of people. Varied Work. Good experience of technology. Small company with lots of ambition. Good team spirits.

ConsVery bad line amangement. Very little respect for personal time. Very poor work life balance. Senior management turns blind eye to bad managers/directors and other staff which have either been with the company for a long time (kept on thier networking skills) or are in a senior position but treat thier teams like rubbish.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the people that make it bad for everyone else and not the hardworkers who are the ones which bring real value to the company. You've heard the complaints - pay attention!

Worked for MetraTech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MetraTech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MetraTech CEO Scott Swartz. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by MetraTech employees.