MetraTech

Scott Swartz

Marketing intern

Current Employee - Intern in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Waltham, MA

I have been working at MetraTech part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, full involve in different marketing channel

Cons

It's a company that makes you feel pressured but not excited.

MetraTech- great product, poor strategy

Former Employee - Director in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Waltham, MA

I worked at MetraTech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product that could be solve the issues of complex multiparty monetization issues.

Cons

A husband and wife executive team that ran through 4-5 sets of senior management teams. No strategy and limited leadership skills.

Sell and let the professionals in.

Arrogant staff! Too much playtime while working.

I worked at MetraTech

Pros

Vacation time - if working from home is vacation

Cons

Hard to concentrate watching Administrative staff be too involved in others personal life's. Disaster when too much alcohol and 'affairs' happening all around. Hire educated young people that stay to play until better opportunity comes there way.
    Family people never have time for family.

Unload top AA who is nothing but trouble. Also, shares confidential info - not appropriate at all.

Terrible Management, mistrust, appalling treatment of employees

I worked at MetraTech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. Extremely disappointing from a career perspective. Abusive and unhealthy work environment. Management afraid of CEO and doing anything to upset him. Major reason for lack of success of this company.

Cons

Management, poor vision, poorly managed product. Management inhibiting progress. Oppressive and depressing place to work.

None. Management layer is really bad. Recommendations or suggestions for fixing problem are seen as threat.

Metratech

Former Employee - Global Support Principal QA Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Global Support Principal QA Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at MetraTech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a very dynamic product that has endless possibilities within the billing industry.

Cons

The management does not have a clear business path and there are times when the only way the company looks good on paper is after a massive layoff.

Stop trying to make the product so complicated and build on what you already have.

Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at MetraTech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good intelligent people with great ideas and passion for their daily tasks. Very misguided and unclear of daily/weekly goals.

Cons

Product was not on par with competition. Not priced to competition. The functionality of the product was not on par with competition.

Abusive Working hours and Work Ethics

Former Employee - Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Waltham, MA

I worked at MetraTech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Team Engineers Professional Services Support.
    Very friendly and Responsive to queries.
    Good Pay.

Cons

Abusive Working Hours
    Lack of Respect by senior Management sometimes
    No Visionary in the Company.
    Brain drain
    People are kicked out normally Just before they go to vacation or when they are vacationing.
    Good Knowledgeable People get fired and new people with lesser skills are hired.

Hire more people who actually know their stuff so that the working hours for others are reduced

Great place place to work...while you are there

Former Employee - Techie Stuff in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Techie Stuff in Waltham, MA

I worked at MetraTech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They make you feel comfortable and part of the team; they train you; people are friendly; people actually help you learn and will talk to you when you have a problem; managers are approachable; good technology---databases, coding, and more; they had a team dedciated to helping with travel arrangements and stuff like that; nice kitchens; fussball table; great location in Waltham. I've heard they built a lounge for the employees.

Cons

The company appears to churn employees. People just disappear. I'm not sure management has a plan other than to save money. I looked online: Plenty of articles stating how MetraTech has solid financial backing yet is appears to be run on a shoestring. Just about everything and everybody seemed to be outsourced or a contractor, except for a few people.

I wasn't there long enough to be sure they knew what they are doing or not. I thought I saw a pattern: Company meeting announces good stuff, followed by another company meeting at which a bunch of people disappear, followed by yet another meeting at which people are told not to worry. Maybe I'd say they should be more honest with the troops. The CEO and the VPs, like I said, seemed nice and approachable.

For the optional stuff below:
    I didn't interact much with Mr. Swartz. But, given the CEO is supposed to set the tone for the company, I reluctantly give him a thumbs down.
    I'll recommend the company based on my short tenure. Just be prepared to be let go at any time.
    The outlook? I left some months ago. I don't know what's going on there precisely, but I've heard some people were just let go again. So. I have to guess the outlook isn't good right now.

dysfunctional management, poor communication and lack of advancement and growth opportunities, employees have no voice

Former Employee - Engineering in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Waltham, MA

I worked at MetraTech

Pros

Smart, experienced, supportive workers
    Decent salary and benefits
    Convenient location

Cons

Dysfunctional, inexperienced, unprofessional management
    Lack of communication from upper management to employees, lack of communication across departments and teams
    Little to no opportunities to advance and grow
    Hard work taken for granted and undervalued
    Micromanagement nightmare

Start over. Hire completely new management. Hire professionals with years of experience and actual management experience and people skills. Stop hiring under qualified people to manage teams they have no business even being a part of. Reward people for their hard work and dedication. At the very least offer thanks for work well done. Learn to appreciate your employees and offer them opportunities to grow and advance. Consider offering incentives such as options or bonuses or time off for exceptional work completed and deadlines met. Treat employees with respect and kindness. End the micromanagement nightmare. Start paying attention to why people are so dissatisfied and unhappy.

Consider hiring a PR firm and/or mental health professionals to provide training and support to those in charge so that they can learn how to treat others with kindness and respect. Give the employees a voice by allowing them to review their managers, directors and VPs. Take that insight and apply real positive changes.

Also the company showed very poor taste when the CEO decided to participate in a local news program about job growth and discussed upcoming hires when the company had just facilitated a reduction in force of approximately 25% of the workforce due to a 'downsizing and restructuring'. That downsizing took place at the end of January 2012, 10 days before going on the program to boast about growth and employment opportunities. Stop sending mixed messages to current and former employees.

Abusive hours

I worked at MetraTech

Pros

Some nice people, decent location, interesting technologies

Cons

Totally abusive of salaried employee work hours, excessive off hours work, poor information sharing, and much more pressure to find work arounds than to solve problems. No respect for vacations, family events, or sleep.

Solve the underlying problems before moving forward with new stuff. Consider that employees work better when they are not constantly tired from working overtime.