Metrie Reviews

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
3.1

Greg Stoner

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Metrie

Pros

Good mix of competent people.

Cons

Policies can be somewhat difficult to understand with the shifting winds.

Be better listeners.

No training, no growth, management is a joke.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Metrie full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can surf the internet all day, there is no actual pressure to sell anything.

Cons

Management is a joke, hardly any of them had an actual education. The buddy system was the only way to get promoted. If you drove sales, there was no reward.

Implement training, just because someone has experience doesn't mean they're intelligent and should be running an operation.

An employee of several years working at several locations...

I worked at Metrie

Pros

You can get a job there with very little experience
    There is decent advancement potential (I've been promoted), but you have to be very willing to give up your work/life balance

Cons

M & M can be ok as s stepping stone job at the entry level. You will work long hours for relatively low pay compared to similar jobs elsewhere. I don't know many people at all who planned on making a career there. There is very high turn over (some of the worst I've seen). Employee apathy is also very present. The higher I got in the company, the more I saw that to be successful in this company, you absolutely have to give up your work/life balance. No question at all. You will put in a lot of time and the company will expect huge sacrifices from you (especially if you are moved by the company to another location, which is also a clearly stated fact by the company if you plan to be promoted). Some management there is ok, but is varies so much by location. And since it is very much a revolving door, it's very inconsistent. Customers see it clearly, which is the sad part.

It could be a good company, but unfortunately the family that owns the business has a "good old boy" network, which you also must "join" to get anywhere. That will never change unless the company is sold to new owners.

The area that I would avoid the most is the Home Center Division which is the part of the company that sell strictly to Home Depot (common knowledge, not a secret...that's what they do). Nothing against HD at all, it's the way that senior management controls that division that makes it particularly bad. They have a very high turn over and a very apathetic staff.

Benefit are not great, but not horrible.

Despite this unfavorable review, if you must work for this company, do not work for the Home Center group, do it only if you are just entering the work force and need to build the resume a little, but get out after a year. This is not a company you want to be with for very long, if at all!

I have literally heard management state that employee morale is a relative thing! Don't plan on it changing, it's part of the culture. The people who stay with this company are either not "go getters" enough to get themselves out of a bad situation and into another company, or somehow they just put up with it. I had a recruiter who works with this company a lot tell me that M & M asks a ton of their employees for what they pay them.

Lastly, the company has a good old boy culture that does not forget. If one manager decides the don't like you (the reason is totally irrelevant), you are blacklisted and you will never get promoted. I watched it happen and then became part of that culture as a manger there...before I couldn't look at myself in the mirror anymore and left the company. I now do essentially the same job, but make literally twice as much money somewhere else.

Until there is a shift in senior management and the Sauders (family that owns the business) management of the company, this company will continue to see more flat growth and closings, high turn over, and poor employee satisfaction.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am Proud to Work Here

I have been working at Metrie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good family-driven culture with plenty of dynamic self-starters who are eager to do great things and consistently improve performance. The Company culture is well established with a strong focus on the customer and the employees.

The company encourages career development and personal growth and focuses on unlocking talent in a big way.

Cons

There's not much to say here. I really enjoy my time developing my career in a professional, yet family-like environment.

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Metrie full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People, perks, career advancement opportunities

Cons

Base pay and bonus structure are low compared to other companies in the same industry.

Was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, when I finally decided that I had taken enough abuse.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Metrie full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None that outweigh the cons and are worth talking about.

Cons

The managers set their sights on how they can climb the corporate ladder. They don't care how they get there. They use the backs of all of the good employees to achieve it. They don't care about your well-being at all. On more than one occasion I spoke with the branch manager about my stress level. He acted like he was really concerned, and said he would fix it. Nothing was ever done. I honestly have a feeling that he was laughing about it behind my back. Looking back now, I find that he was quite senseless. I find it difficult to beleive that he actually has an education in management.

The stress was created by way too much work expected of me. They did not manage the other reps properly, and thus the division of the work was totally off balance.

The branch manager and regional manager tried to prevent me from leaving, but at the end I did not trust that the branch manager could accomplish the changes that needed to be made to eleviate the stress that I was enduring. I didn't trust his willingness to initiate any kind of positive change.

They hire many individuals who don't have a lot of common sense, or people who like to ride on the coat tails of others. They hire on the basis of a couple of tests they give you. I believe one decides what personality you are and the other one is a type of IQ test. The tests must be flawed, because there are only a few people who actually turn out to be an "ok" fit.

They also allow warehouse personnel to verbally abuse the office staff on a daily basis. I spoke with the same manager about the abuse and nothing was ever done. He even went so far as to say; " maybe he is treating you like that because you are a woman"......Really! I'd say you really need to deal with this then.

The only reason I stayed for the 6 long years is because I don't like to change jobs frequently. I was avoiding the stress of changing jobs and for some ridiculous reason I expected the management to do something about the heavy workload. I also developed some really great relationships with the customers.
    I really enjoyed the actual duties to achieve the companies goals, but the constant over expectation, and my complaints falling on deaf ears, offset that in a real hurry.

In the end, when I finally walked out the door, I received some e-mails from the branch manager explaining how he could make some really quick changes to ensure my request for change had been met. In the same paragraph, he frets that he was really hoping to see how we would do with our new equipment and how much more production we could get out of the facility, then he continued to say that it was unfortunate that I wasn't going to be there to help. Yah, that statement is really going to make me stay. My translation of that is: " We really need you here..who's going to do all of the work.?" I'm so happy I moved on. I didn't realize how awful it was until I removed myself from it.

The end.

Start taking an active role in dividing up the work load and quit hiring people based on a couple of ridiculous tests. Do some actual reference checking. Remove people who don't work. Anybody can answer the phone and type 3 words a minute, but if they lack work ethic, why keep them? Remove warehouse staff with bad attitudes and actually deal with abuse accusations properly. Quite allowing the warehouse to run the business. Don't expect your sales desk to log info on Salesforce.com, make it optional...it is not possible when you are a slave to the phone and on tight schedule for order entry. Make your sales meetings meaningful instead of a show up and throw up session, with some baffoon talking in riddles for an hour. Prior to hiring new sales people disclose to them before they start that they must be in at 7:00 a.m for 2 days a week to attend company meetings. Keeping that info from them is a real dishonest way of hiring. Portray a certain amount of integrity to your employees, so you can expect the same when they are ambitious to achieve a promotion.

A Fantastic Company with Motivated Achievers

I have been working at Metrie

Pros

- Tremendous people
    - Continuous Improvement
    - Competitive Salary for Acheivers

Cons

- Work/Life Balance Can be a Struggle

Decent starter company

I have been working at Metrie

Pros

The benefits, profits sharing and insurance is good

Cons

Hard to advance, salaries are below industry average, gender discrimination

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Sales Management Trainee  in  Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Management Trainee in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Metrie

Pros

a discount on products. .

Cons

terrible place with high turnover. They prey on the young and inexperienced and if you have any sort of opinion forget about it.

Have some respect for your emplyees and treat them as more than just a number in your revolving door. .

Worked for Metrie? Contribute to the Community!