Metro

Updated August 19, 2014

2.9

Metro President, CEO, and Director Eric Richer La Flèche
Eric Richer La Flèche

Pros
  • Flexible hours and nice people made my experience a good one (in 5 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers are nice people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough full-time employment offered (in 3 reviews)

• no support from upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

metro

Pros

it was a fun job

Cons

didnt have as many perks as i expected

Developper

Pros

Nice environnement, very friendly and team work oriented.

Cons

Projects are being constantly delayed.

Great Job, slightly different than most stores, but treated with respect

Pros

Flexible hours, daytime hours. Great team working there.

Cons

Scheduling issues, improper/inadequate management. Bad attitudes with some employees, doesn't seem to be fixed

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

shop stop

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good on resumes.

Cons

Run by senior management who just want a pay cheque and a pension while doing nothing to earn it.

Metro Quebec needs to overhaul senior management ranks with qualified and able teams rather than have the same crops of A&P high school dropouts running the show. Better still, sell. The local union is slowly but surely, with the help of incompetent management, running the ship aground. If you find yourself working here, keep looking. Long hours, unrecognized contributions unless you are proficient at kissing you know what. Shift can and would be changed at the whip of your Manager. Expect to work on days off and if you don't, you are given the evil eye and come review time, expect the worse review ever regardless of you contributions.

no support from upper management let you swim in shark tank by yourself

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

money is good. benifits are ok. vacation time is ok hours are ok. sick benifits are great .

Cons

the very strong union. no support from upper management . own peers stabb you in the back . no company functions

protect the management staff that you have do not be scared of the union grow some balls

Corruption hassle is too much for a minimum wage P/T job

Current Employee - Store Clerk  in  Milton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Clerk in Milton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Most of my co-workers are nice people. It is a no-fun, no-future, no personal growth job, that I have to subsidize with other jobs. Even so, you cannot take it for granted that people don't stab one another.

Cons

The rest are all cons. The wage is low and I got $0.10/hr pay raise in 4 years. It is unionized. The union dues take away over 3% from my very minimum earnings. Unifor Local 414 is corrupt to the core. I was given discriminatory treatment, the union did not want to know about it. When I took my complaint to Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, the union jumped right in and tried to get me into their hands by lying about a non- existent "Grievance Process." The company favours only insiders, promotion mainly given on the basis of nepotism. My former supervisor had no prior retail experience but was hired as a Department Manager. The product she wasted each week was more than my monthly pay. There is a "Collective Bargaining Agreement" between the Union and the Company, but neither of them wanted us to know anything about it. When I eventually learned about it and realized that my rights have been violated, I insisted on my rights according to the "Agreement", and I have been punished by both the company and the union.

Some co-workers would say good things about the company because they are given unfair favours.

My advice is to marry the boss's daughter or nephew and mind only to advance yourself.

This company does not deserve me.

They won't listen anyways. I will publish an open letter to the topdog Eric Richer La Flèche. I will tell him though I have better education and only make a fraction of his earnings, I am happy to still be a decent man not a crook. I believe he is a crook because of the company culture.

Decent place for part timers

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros

Hours are flexible, staff is nice

Cons

Pay is a bit low, no employee benefits/discounts

8 years of Retail Customer Service

Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service  in  Gatineau, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

Pros

Unionized; you are protected from manager or employee harassment
    Management have very good benefits, sick leave, paid vacations
    Work and school schedule flexibility

Cons

Health benefits and Vacation are offered only after a year of service and before a certain month of the year.
    I started in June after the fiscal year had ended and had to work 2 years to get vacation time.

Not enough full-time employment offered
    No Career Development

This job requires exceptional customer service
    Hours of work aren't always great, you could be working until 10:15 at night than start back up the next morning at 8am.

As a new employee you are REQUIRED to present yourself at work when they ask you. Failure to do so is a strike out of 3.

In a year i had gotten 2 weekends off, the rest of the time was a day off here and there during the week at random.

If you are going to school or your on summer leave. In the beginning of your job you get 3 weeks of training, full time hours. After that it could drop to 10 hours a week or none at all. You might find yourself wondering why they needed to hire someone at all.

Train potential employees as managers
    Offer career training to long standing employees
    Offer education loans

If the company can't afford to pay their employees a fair wage, they should stop paying all the customers credit card points and rewards. Reinvest that money into their work force.

If you don't start showing to be an example in our communities. The next young work force you have will fail miserably. Than it will be a matter of time before your senior managers give up on you.

Friendly Staff

Pros

Very friendly and helpful co-workers

Cons

No room for advancement within the company

awesome place to work

Pros

great people , you can really build great friendships here during your work

Cons

they don't like to hire full time due to too many benefits

some of your employees really deserve the full time title, while others don't.

Worked for Metro? Contribute to the Community!