Metro

Updated January 30, 2015
2.9

Metro President, CEO, and Director Eric Richer La Flèche
Eric Richer La Flèche

Pros
  • Flexible hours and nice people made my experience a good one (in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers are nice people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough full-time employment offered (in 3 reviews)

• no support from upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great group of people

Current Employee - Zap in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Zap in Portland, OR

I have been working at Metro as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

A great time all the way through due to the caringness of each individual involved (at least the experience I endured)

Cons

Not that much to put in this column here... Maybe some of the projects seem too stressful on the animals.

Great people, chaotic workload and weak mid-level management

Current Employee - Public Affairs Specialist
    Current Employee - Public Affairs Specialist

I have been working at Metro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic, talented people, there when you need them, unless they're in a meeting

Cons

mid-level management overworked, doesn't know how to do the people side all that great, there's chaos

help structure people to use their time more meaningfully, train your mid-level managers and give assistant to senior level staff the tools (trainings) to improve performance and save time. too much time sitting in meetings.

Very good company to work for.

Former Employee - Electrician in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Electrician in Charleston, SC

I worked at Metro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers and family like atmosphere.
    Good hours and plenty of work.
    Ideal contractor for an apprentice. Great aprenticeship program.

Cons

No cons. To speak of. Very good contractor to work for and family like atmosphere. Best local company to work for. .

metro

I worked at Metro

Pros

it was a fun job

Cons

didnt have as many perks as i expected

An environment rife with discrimination, bullying and harassment still...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metro

Pros

There are still some really nice people who work there.

Cons

I received a response from someone at Metro regarding my first review. The employer response to my review advised me to broach my concerns with my management team or my Human Resources Manager. While that seems like a reasonable first step to resolving the issues I had stated in my first review, the suggestion is moot. I have spoken to my management team, I have pleaded with my management team and I have argued with my management team and nothing gets resolved. My seniority is still undermined, my health is still undermined, my value as a human being is still undermined. When I stand up for myself, I'm still punished by way of my schedule and it has been confided to me, that the managers have advised the person writing the schedule to change it in order to teach me a lesson because I'm "getting out of line". If the person writing the schedule gives me a decent schedule for that week, the manager amends it. As for contacting Human Resources, I've tried that as well. My first call was taken by an individual who listen to my concerns and advised me that I would have to speak to the individual who handles situations such as mine. I left my contact info, obtained this individuals contact info and never heard from anyone from head office. I left this individual a couple of messages, I then left a message for the person looking after things while the other person was on holiday. No call back. Clearly, responding to and investigating issues such as these are not as important to the company as the employer would suggest.

The culture of fear is this store is alive and well. The mental and emotional well being of employees in this store is compromised, I hear about it everyday around the lunch table. Unfortunately, most are so afraid of loosing their jobs or suffering the backlash of management that they don't speak up.

Not an environment to work in that I would recommend to anyone, ever...

Grocery Clerk

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk

I worked at Metro part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, an easy job

Cons

Boring work and minimum wage

Overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service- Front End in Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service- Front End in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I worked at Metro part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to be involved in many different projects. The company offers benefit plan even to the part-time staff. Overall nice group of co-workers.

Cons

Management changes every 2-3 months. There is always a new store manager to get to know or get used to.

Stop changing the managers around so much.

Overall....not a bad place to work.

Current Employee - Order Picker in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No stress....supervisors just leave you alone and let you work. It's hard work and can be tough to meet the quota but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it

Cons

The job is very hard on your body.

A few little perks for employees would go a long way in keeping moral high. Little things like a coffee maker and coffee (which also provides a jolt of energy aka MORE PRODUCTION!!) and maybe something like a bbq once or twice a year just to bring everyone together.

Developper

I worked at Metro

Pros

Nice environnement, very friendly and team work oriented.

Cons

Projects are being constantly delayed.

Stores vs Corporate

Current Employee - Scan Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Scan Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metro part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Emphasis on clean and tidy stores and a pleasant shopping experience for customers. Effort is expended to ensure a continual flow of new products.

Cons

Store managers are given very tight budgets which does not allow for proper staffing levels. As a result staff really have to hustle to accomplish things and many many things are left on the back burner for 'when there is time', which there never is. You basically feel as if you are running a marathon just to stand still. Product is sent from the warehouse whether or not it is needed at the store level which results in too much stock. Overstock spoils before it can sell through which results in a loss to the store and that counts against our constantly measured results. Honestly, the amount of waste generated by Metro in expired product is sickening. Also, margins are tuned far too high. They don't seem to grasp the concept of lowering prices to generate higher sales. They would rather take their precious higher margins than higher overall profits.

Aggravating the matter is the fact that the discount branch of the company will have the identical items on sale on the same weeks .... at a lower price. Way to hobble your higher margin stores, boys. How well thought out .... not.

Senior corporate management really needs to listen to their store and department managers more. Afterall, they are the ones who deal with their communities on a daily basis and know better than anyone the needs and desires of their customers. The profit to revenue ratio of this company is downright pathetic and any half intelligent employee could point out at least 20 ways to improve it ..... if the regional directors actually condescended to speak to the staff.

Metro Photos