Metro

Metro Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Metro President, CEO, and Director Eric Richer La Flèche

Eric Richer La Flèche

Pros
  • Flexible hours and nice people made my experience a good one(in 5 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers are nice people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough full-time employment offered(in 3 reviews)

• no support from upper management(in 3 reviews)

Great Job, slightly different than most stores, but treated with respect

ProsFlexible hours, daytime hours. Great team working there.

ConsScheduling issues, improper/inadequate management. Bad attitudes with some employees, doesn't seem to be fixed

metro

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit was a fun job

Consdidnt have as many perks as i expected

shop stop

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

ProsGood pay, good benefits, good on resumes.

ConsRun by senior management who just want a pay cheque and a pension while doing nothing to earn it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMetro Quebec needs to overhaul senior management ranks with qualified and able teams rather than have the same crops of A&P high school dropouts running the show. Better still, sell. The local union is slowly but surely, with the help of incompetent management, running the ship aground. If you find yourself working here, keep looking. Long hours, unrecognized contributions unless you are proficient at kissing you know what. Shift can and would be changed at the whip of your Manager. Expect to work on days off and if you don't, you are given the evil eye and come review time, expect the worse review ever regardless of you contributions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

no support from upper management let you swim in shark tank by yourself

Supervisor (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosmoney is good. benifits are ok. vacation time is ok hours are ok. sick benifits are great .

Consthe very strong union. no support from upper management . own peers stabb you in the back . no company functions

Advice to Senior Managementprotect the management staff that you have do not be scared of the union grow some balls

Corruption hassle is too much for a minimum wage P/T job

Store Clerk (Current Employee) Milton, ON (Canada)

ProsMost of my co-workers are nice people. It is a no-fun, no-future, no personal growth job, that I have to subsidize with other jobs. Even so, you cannot take it for granted that people don't stab one another.

ConsThe rest are all cons. The wage is low and I got $0.10/hr pay raise in 4 years. It is unionized. The union dues take away over 3% from my very minimum earnings. Unifor Local 414 is corrupt to the core. I was given discriminatory treatment, the union did not want to know about it. When I took my complaint to Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, the union jumped right in and tried to get me into their hands by lying about a non- existent "Grievance Process." The company favours only insiders, promotion mainly given on the basis of nepotism. My former supervisor had no prior retail experience but was hired as a Department Manager. The product she wasted each week was more than my monthly pay. There is a "Collective Bargaining Agreement" between the Union and the Company, but neither of them wanted us to know anything about it. When I eventually learned about it and realized that my rights have been violated, I insisted on my rights according to the "Agreement", and I have been punished by both the company and the union.

Some co-workers would say good things about the company because they are given unfair favours.

My advice is to marry the boss's daughter or nephew and mind only to advance yourself.

This company does not deserve me.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen anyways. I will publish an open letter to the topdog Eric Richer La Flèche. I will tell him though I have better education and only make a fraction of his earnings, I am happy to still be a decent man not a crook. I believe he is a crook because of the company culture.

Decent place for part timers

Cashier (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsHours are flexible, staff is nice

ConsPay is a bit low, no employee benefits/discounts

awesome place to work

Prosgreat people , you can really build great friendships here during your work

Consthey don't like to hire full time due to too many benefits

Advice to Senior Managementsome of your employees really deserve the full time title, while others don't.

Not too bad, not many hours though

Clerk (Fresh-to-go, Deli, and Seafood) (Former Employee) Dundas, ON (Canada)

ProsNot too much pressure, chances to move departments within the store, nice coworkers

Consnot enough hours or benefits, managers sometimes need to be reminded of various things (i never even received my 10% discount after working 3 months like i was supposed to, which would be a bigger problem if i was an adult who actually grocery shopped)

Advice to Senior Managementtry not to get lost in the big store, each employee needs some attention

Friendly Staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery friendly and helpful co-workers

ConsNo room for advancement within the company

8 years of Retail Customer Service

Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) Gatineau, QC (Canada)

ProsUnionized; you are protected from manager or employee harassment
    Management have very good benefits, sick leave, paid vacations
    Work and school schedule flexibility

ConsHealth benefits and Vacation are offered only after a year of service and before a certain month of the year.
    I started in June after the fiscal year had ended and had to work 2 years to get vacation time.

Not enough full-time employment offered
    No Career Development

This job requires exceptional customer service
    Hours of work aren't always great, you could be working until 10:15 at night than start back up the next morning at 8am.

As a new employee you are REQUIRED to present yourself at work when they ask you. Failure to do so is a strike out of 3.

In a year i had gotten 2 weekends off, the rest of the time was a day off here and there during the week at random.

If you are going to school or your on summer leave. In the beginning of your job you get 3 weeks of training, full time hours. After that it could drop to 10 hours a week or none at all. You might find yourself wondering why they needed to hire someone at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain potential employees as managers
    Offer career training to long standing employees
    Offer education loans

If the company can't afford to pay their employees a fair wage, they should stop paying all the customers credit card points and rewards. Reinvest that money into their work force.

If you don't start showing to be an example in our communities. The next young work force you have will fail miserably. Than it will be a matter of time before your senior managers give up on you.

Worked for Metro? Contribute to the Community!