Metro Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
2.9

Metro President, CEO, and Director Eric Richer La Flèche
Eric Richer La Flèche

Pros
  • Flexible hours and nice people made my experience a good one (in 5 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers are nice people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough full-time employment offered (in 3 reviews)

• no support from upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good company to work for.

Former Employee - Electrician in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Electrician in Charleston, SC

I worked at Metro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good coworkers and family like atmosphere.
    Good hours and plenty of work.
    Ideal contractor for an apprentice. Great aprenticeship program.

Cons

No cons. To speak of. Very good contractor to work for and family like atmosphere. Best local company to work for. .

metro

I worked at Metro

Pros

it was a fun job

Cons

didnt have as many perks as i expected

Overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service- Front End in Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service- Front End in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I worked at Metro part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to be involved in many different projects. The company offers benefit plan even to the part-time staff. Overall nice group of co-workers.

Cons

Management changes every 2-3 months. There is always a new store manager to get to know or get used to.

Stop changing the managers around so much.

Overall....not a bad place to work.

Current Employee - Order Picker in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No stress....supervisors just leave you alone and let you work. It's hard work and can be tough to meet the quota but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it

Cons

The job is very hard on your body.

A few little perks for employees would go a long way in keeping moral high. Little things like a coffee maker and coffee (which also provides a jolt of energy aka MORE PRODUCTION!!) and maybe something like a bbq once or twice a year just to bring everyone together.

Stores vs Corporate

Current Employee - Scan Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Scan Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metro part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Emphasis on clean and tidy stores and a pleasant shopping experience for customers. Effort is expended to ensure a continual flow of new products.

Cons

Store managers are given very tight budgets which does not allow for proper staffing levels. As a result staff really have to hustle to accomplish things and many many things are left on the back burner for 'when there is time', which there never is. You basically feel as if you are running a marathon just to stand still. Product is sent from the warehouse whether or not it is needed at the store level which results in too much stock. Overstock spoils before it can sell through which results in a loss to the store and that counts against our constantly measured results. Honestly, the amount of waste generated by Metro in expired product is sickening. Also, margins are tuned far too high. They don't seem to grasp the concept of lowering prices to generate higher sales. They would rather take their precious higher margins than higher overall profits.

Aggravating the matter is the fact that the discount branch of the company will have the identical items on sale on the same weeks .... at a lower price. Way to hobble your higher margin stores, boys. How well thought out .... not.

Senior corporate management really needs to listen to their store and department managers more. Afterall, they are the ones who deal with their communities on a daily basis and know better than anyone the needs and desires of their customers. The profit to revenue ratio of this company is downright pathetic and any half intelligent employee could point out at least 20 ways to improve it ..... if the regional directors actually condescended to speak to the staff.

Developper

I worked at Metro

Pros

Nice environnement, very friendly and team work oriented.

Cons

Projects are being constantly delayed.

shop stop

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at Metro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good on resumes.

Cons

Run by senior management who just want a pay cheque and a pension while doing nothing to earn it.

Metro Quebec needs to overhaul senior management ranks with qualified and able teams rather than have the same crops of A&P high school dropouts running the show. Better still, sell. The local union is slowly but surely, with the help of incompetent management, running the ship aground. If you find yourself working here, keep looking. Long hours, unrecognized contributions unless you are proficient at kissing you know what. Shift can and would be changed at the whip of your Manager. Expect to work on days off and if you don't, you are given the evil eye and come review time, expect the worse review ever regardless of you contributions.

Great Job, slightly different than most stores, but treated with respect

I have been working at Metro

Pros

Flexible hours, daytime hours. Great team working there.

Cons

Scheduling issues, improper/inadequate management. Bad attitudes with some employees, doesn't seem to be fixed

no support from upper management let you swim in shark tank by yourself

Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Metro full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

money is good. benifits are ok. vacation time is ok hours are ok. sick benifits are great .

Cons

the very strong union. no support from upper management . own peers stabb you in the back . no company functions

protect the management staff that you have do not be scared of the union grow some balls

Corruption hassle is too much for a minimum wage P/T job

Current Employee - Store Clerk in Milton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Clerk in Milton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metro part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my co-workers are nice people. It is a no-fun, no-future, no personal growth job, that I have to subsidize with other jobs. Even so, you cannot take it for granted that people don't stab one another.

Cons

The rest are all cons. The wage is low and I got $0.10/hr pay raise in 4 years. It is unionized. The union dues take away over 3% from my very minimum earnings. Unifor Local 414 is corrupt to the core. I was given discriminatory treatment, the union did not want to know about it. When I took my complaint to Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, the union jumped right in and tried to get me into their hands by lying about a non- existent "Grievance Process." The company favours only insiders, promotion mainly given on the basis of nepotism. My former supervisor had no prior retail experience but was hired as a Department Manager. The product she wasted each week was more than my monthly pay. There is a "Collective Bargaining Agreement" between the Union and the Company, but neither of them wanted us to know anything about it. When I eventually learned about it and realized that my rights have been violated, I insisted on my rights according to the "Agreement", and I have been punished by both the company and the union.

Some co-workers would say good things about the company because they are given unfair favours.

My advice is to marry the boss's daughter or nephew and mind only to advance yourself.

This company does not deserve me.

They won't listen anyways. I will publish an open letter to the topdog Eric Richer La Flèche. I will tell him though I have better education and only make a fraction of his earnings, I am happy to still be a decent man not a crook. I believe he is a crook because of the company culture.

Metro Photos

Donation event from Metro to poor children
Metro Inc