Metro State University of Denver

Stephen Jordan

Great place to work for

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tutor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Metro State University of Denver part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good mentor-ship, friendly office culture. I am holding a work-study position and my supervisor has been very nice and understanding to me. Everyone in my workplace is always willing to help each other in handling difficult situations. We get to study when it's not busy on the floor. Training meetings are always fun time when we meet all of our peers and have a great time together.

Cons

Everyone starts with the same pay rate no matter what degree that person is holding. There is little promoting opportunity or upward mobility in my job.

Great Experience as a Work Study/Student Hourly

Former Employee - Call Center Lead Technician  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Call Center Lead Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Metro State University of Denver part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing staff to work for, great location, great hours flexibility, great environment, great sociability of the management staff, and exceptionally well kept offices.

Cons

The hours that you can get scheduled to work as a work study or student hourly caps at about 30 hours a week, unless you have a specific job that requires more hours.

Adopting some sort of benefits would be a plus.

No accountability

I worked at Metro State University of Denver full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

State employment means decent benefits including health insurance and generous leave policies.

Cons

Staff and management are not held accountable for their job duties. Staff bullying and generally feeling unsafe in one's job are reported (see two recent campus climate surveys), with upper management making no observable changes.

Have outside agency come in to do climate surveys and to address hostile and toxic workplace issues. Staff should feel comfortable to bring up issues without fear of retaliation or being fired.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional experience for students while in college.

Former Employee - Student Electronic Specialist  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Student Electronic Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Metro State University of Denver as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

The work-study position I held was some of the best experience I had while working in college. They require that you are professional but when no tasks remained you were allowed to work on coursework. While working as a work-study the the faculty/staff treated you as an equal.

Cons

The budget the department was allotted for both payroll and laboratory upkeep was to low to make the job worth while. The experience was the reason many stay working there.

Realize the costs of your department in a formal budgetary approach and the department will run like well oiled machinery instead of a reactionary problem solving approach.

Associate Faculty at Metro State

Current Employee - Associate Faculty  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Faculty in Denver, CO

I have been working at Metro State University of Denver part-time for more than a year

Pros

Always changing environment, must be able to think on your feet, interact with many different people, lots of freedom to cover material as long as it fits within the general education guidelines

Cons

little or no upward mobility for part-time faculty, limited guidance or support for developing coursework, many hours of prep work outside of class required but not compensated

realize that some of your best instructor are the ones who will never have tenure, and actually pay them for the experience and skill they bring to your classrooms.

It's a great place to work full-time, but affiliate employment is horrible.

Former Employee - Affiliate Professor of English  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Affiliate Professor of English in Denver, CO

I worked at Metro State University of Denver part-time for less than a year

Pros

Metro has amazing students and faculty; there is no doubt about that. People who work there are passionate about learning, and there are a lot of opportunities to learn new things and grow, even as an employee.

Cons

Affiliates make crappy money, are treated without respect, and have no benefits.

Staff Member

Current Employee - Staff Member  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Staff Member in Denver, CO

I have been working at Metro State University of Denver part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, easy going environment

Cons

no benefits or personal growth

Just became a University

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Metro State University of Denver full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great urban energetic environment, good academic standing

Cons

Have to pay to park (up to 6.00/day), have a lot of work to do to perform research responsibilities

More supportive, don't always think that a warm body can teach, don't think that your desk job has any alignment at all with classroom professors

Worked for Metro State University of Denver? Contribute to the Community!