Metro Systems (VA)

Dave Steinbraker

Fun Environment with Great Potential for Growth and Earnings

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

on-site training, potential for advancement, earnings potential, collegial atmosphere

Cons

Earning potential is directly related to personal level of commitment towards accomplishing hard, yet rewarding, work

If you work hard you will be rewarded!

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company that provides great potential for those that are eager and willing to learn. For those that put in the time and follow the company process the earnings come quick. As a recruiter you can double your income in one year and be promoted to Account Manager. Within two years as an Account Manager the sky's the limit in regards to the income you can generate. MSI likes to promote from within, so if it is a career with plenty of opportunity for advancement then this is the place for you.

Cons

If you are looking for a standard 9-5 job and not interested in going the extra mile then this will not be a good fit.

Bad environment, leadership, and earnings

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to make short-term "friends"

Cons

The office is run by a CEO, VP, and a few Account Managers. The Account Managers (in their early 20s) are assigned recruiters on their team (also early 20s). The amount of respect for recruiters is not there. All I heard sitting at my desk were the Account Managers yelling across the room to scream about something that needed to be worked on.

If you're looking for something for more growth and opportunity - stay away! If you don't want to be stuck in the sales world or recruiting world for the rest of your life, this isn't for you. There are many, many staffing firms out there that do way better than Metro Systems - and many recruiters out there trying to hunt for the same position. The reason that there are so many recruiters out there is because companies like to lure in fresh-out-of-college grads into their environment, ways, and "mold" them to work long hours/not much pay. When you get a couple placements, you won't see that much commission - it's all BS! It is broken down into tiers - and you get a small percentage of the hours of work you put in to fill a position.

The Managers make you feel bad if you don't stay late and work on a "hot job" until 7:30 p.m. while they order you cheap pizza. They also emphasize working on weekends at home to collect resumes/screen resumes to be prepared for the next day - talk about no work-life balance!

Benefits - you pay a lot out of pocket.

Hidden Contingency , wait for other vendors to call for the same position

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) as a contractor

Pros

Very Professionally place the candidates with their cleints
    Very tactically play games

Cons

Hidden One yr contingency which do not permit to go as a contractor as well on Full time.

You guys have played games due to the contingency issues.First of all your client do not know to stay on the word they promise and on top of it your contingency making us loose all the opportunities.

Hard work required, but chance to earn lots of $$$

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked in the staffing industry since 2005. Throughout my career I always felt like I was a day late and a dollar short with the employers/companies that I worked for. However, Metro Systems presents an opportunity to join a growing and successful company. Metro Systems has our core clients/companies in place and recently had our best year in 2013. The only thing missing is our next Recruiters and Account Managers.

Of course it's not an easy task ahead. But, when do you have the chance to grow an organization, make well above the norm for young professionals/recent college grads and have a chance to earn equity in a growing company? Not often, if ever. This industry and opportunity require each person to look at themselves and ask "can I deliver under pressure?" or "am I really as competitive as I think I am?" or "when I'm dealing with a tough situation, will I dig deep and not quit until the job is done?". Of course everyone in in today's society wants to make incredible $$$ right out of school or at any point in one's career. But, often individuals don't want to invest in the effort up front.

Staffing is a matrix driven profession which requires effort up front in order to achieve maximum success which equals $$$. Metro Systems provides the tools to be successful but they can't motivate the unmotivated. Compared to most Staffing Companies in the industry (some of which I've worked for), others companies don't teach or allow a new recruiters to become successful. The older more established/larger staffing firms hire large numbers of new employees and continue to screen the new hires throughout the first 3-6 months with no direction. Basically, a "sink or swim" mindset or practice. Maybe 1 or 2 out of every 5 hired will go on to become successful industry leaders. Not at Metro Systems. If you bring a positive attitude and aptitude the rest is teachable. The effort must be present.

But, as is the case in today's market. It's easier to place blame on the employer rather than accept the fact that this industry isn't for everyone.

Cons

Nothing. Continue to hire and take market share.

Continue to build upon the foundation that's established and hire the future producers. Keep up the great work.

Limitless Potential

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time

Pros

A proven and established company that continues to grow. There is a lot of opportunity within this organization. Great, face-paced work environment with a highly motivated team.

Cons

This is a culture built on hard work. Not a good environment for someone who wants to go through the motions and collect a paycheck...you won't last long.

Great Company, Great Career Path

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time

Pros

I have worked at MSI for 2.5 years. This company has given me a great opportunity for growth both monetarily and in my career. I started here as a recruiter, moved into Account Manager, and, as the company continues to grow, the sky is the limit.
    Working with MSI, I am able to see all of my hard work come to fruition. Rather than just being a cog-in-a-wheel at a large company, here you get the feel that you are a building block.
    Being a sales job, there are always highs and lows. Though the lows are no fun, it's nice to come in to an office of your peers who you know will help you out through those runs. Not to mention, the President and EVP always have their doors open if you need/want to talk about something.

Cons

If you don't want/like sales, this job will be really hard.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Screwed Over, Very Unprofessional Recruiters

I worked at Metro Systems (VA)

Pros

I do not really have any positives to comment on. Though they did get me a pretty solid hourly rate before I was duped from the position.

Cons

I completed an interview with a company through Metro Systems and was told I was perfect for the job and guaranteed it was mine upon the acquisition of a interim Secret clearance. Seriously, I was assured that on a regular basis for about 3 weeks. The recruiter I was in contact with went left the country for a wedding and his boss called me on a Friday and reassured me again the job was mine when the interim came in. The next week on Tuesday I got a call from my recruiters understudy and he indirectly informed me they had given the job to someone else. They passed off their screw up for some understudy to punch me in the gut with the news. I had turned down two really good jobs and not interviewed for a few weeks in anticipation of this opportunity that I was enthralled with. It was all handled so unprofessionally. It still angers me thinking about it.

A Huge Disappointment

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance, 40k salary right out of college, young atmosphere- you will probably fit in if you were in greek life or a sports team in college.

Cons

Metro Systems was founded on the same robotic model that many of the big players in the staffing industry play by (Apex, TekSystems, Insight Global, etc.). They hire solely recent grads with zero professional experience. This is mainly because they are naive, and are the only ones who will play by the owners rules, or as they say in the interview, "are mold-able." Everyone from the company interviews you, and seeing all the young and hopeful faces, it's hard not to feel some credibility and therefore encourage you to accept the position.

Everyone starts in a technical recruiter position, and is expected to move into sales. I personally never understood this model, as some of the best recruiters may not thrive in sales (and vice versa). The technology training is sparse, and after 2 weeks of pretty much sitting around, you hit the phones. Recruiting isn't brain surgery, and that's what these small shops are banking on. Most anyone can talk candidates through a job description, bring them in, and basically read over their resume once again to make sure they will represent the company well. I will say, recruiting in general is a great professional skill, and these interactions and internal interviews are a positive experience for the developing young professional.

If you show any type of slight interest, or are there too long, you will move into sales. Most of the recruiters in the pit seem to fear the position- as no one has stayed with the organization long enough to actually be successful. The sales training is non-existent as it is pretty much "uncharted territory" for the company. 22 and 23 year olds with basically no training, little IT exposure, and a short tenure in the industry, are expected to meet Sr. level execs and managers to sell the business. There is no set system of prospecting, and the majority of the people who would take the meetings prove to not be useful in gaining new business.

I just felt like the legitimacy factor was not there, as well as the morals that served as the backbone on the business.

Proceed with caution. I came in hoping for the best and believing in the vision of the company. However, I ended my employment there with the harsh realization that these promises were not truths.

If two executives are going to run an organization of entirely entry level employees, they both must be present at least 40 hours a week. Leaving young, recent grads to their own devices and without direction isn't beneficial to the company or the employees.
    Also, be compassionate to the employees of the organization. Treating people as if they are expendable (even though entry level grads are) is disheartening for the morale and internal confidence in the vision of the organization. Learn from your mistakes, and try to somehow put an end of the current 100% yearly turnover rate.

Metro Systems (VA) Photos