Metro Systems (VA)

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Dave Steinbraker

Hard work required, but chance to earn lots of $$$

Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsI've worked in the staffing industry since 2005. Throughout my career I always felt like I was a day late and a dollar short with the employers/companies that I worked for. However, Metro Systems presents an opportunity to join a growing and successful company. Metro Systems has our core clients/companies in place and recently had our best year in 2013. The only thing missing is our next Recruiters and Account Managers.

Of course it's not an easy task ahead. But, when do you have the chance to grow an organization, make well above the norm for young professionals/recent college grads and have a chance to earn equity in a growing company? Not often, if ever. This industry and opportunity require each person to look at themselves and ask "can I deliver under pressure?" or "am I really as competitive as I think I am?" or "when I'm dealing with a tough situation, will I dig deep and not quit until the job is done?". Of course everyone in in today's society wants to make incredible $$$ right out of school or at any point in one's career. But, often individuals don't want to invest in the effort up front.

Staffing is a matrix driven profession which requires effort up front in order to achieve maximum success which equals $$$. Metro Systems provides the tools to be successful but they can't motivate the unmotivated. Compared to most Staffing Companies in the industry (some of which I've worked for), others companies don't teach or allow a new recruiters to become successful. The older more established/larger staffing firms hire large numbers of new employees and continue to screen the new hires throughout the first 3-6 months with no direction. Basically, a "sink or swim" mindset or practice. Maybe 1 or 2 out of every 5 hired will go on to become successful industry leaders. Not at Metro Systems. If you bring a positive attitude and aptitude the rest is teachable. The effort must be present.

But, as is the case in today's market. It's easier to place blame on the employer rather than accept the fact that this industry isn't for everyone.

ConsNothing. Continue to hire and take market share.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build upon the foundation that's established and hire the future producers. Keep up the great work.

Hidden Contingency , wait for other vendors to call for the same position

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsVery Professionally place the candidates with their cleints
    Very tactically play games

ConsHidden One yr contingency which do not permit to go as a contractor as well on Full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys have played games due to the contingency issues.First of all your client do not know to stay on the word they promise and on top of it your contingency making us loose all the opportunities.

Limitless Potential

ProsA proven and established company that continues to grow. There is a lot of opportunity within this organization. Great, face-paced work environment with a highly motivated team.

ConsThis is a culture built on hard work. Not a good environment for someone who wants to go through the motions and collect a paycheck...you won't last long.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Great Career Path

Account Manager (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsI have worked at MSI for 2.5 years. This company has given me a great opportunity for growth both monetarily and in my career. I started here as a recruiter, moved into Account Manager, and, as the company continues to grow, the sky is the limit.
    Working with MSI, I am able to see all of my hard work come to fruition. Rather than just being a cog-in-a-wheel at a large company, here you get the feel that you are a building block.
    Being a sales job, there are always highs and lows. Though the lows are no fun, it's nice to come in to an office of your peers who you know will help you out through those runs. Not to mention, the President and EVP always have their doors open if you need/want to talk about something.

ConsIf you don't want/like sales, this job will be really hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Screwed Over, Very Unprofessional Recruiters

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI do not really have any positives to comment on. Though they did get me a pretty solid hourly rate before I was duped from the position.

ConsI completed an interview with a company through Metro Systems and was told I was perfect for the job and guaranteed it was mine upon the acquisition of a interim Secret clearance. Seriously, I was assured that on a regular basis for about 3 weeks. The recruiter I was in contact with went left the country for a wedding and his boss called me on a Friday and reassured me again the job was mine when the interim came in. The next week on Tuesday I got a call from my recruiters understudy and he indirectly informed me they had given the job to someone else. They passed off their screw up for some understudy to punch me in the gut with the news. I had turned down two really good jobs and not interviewed for a few weeks in anticipation of this opportunity that I was enthralled with. It was all handled so unprofessionally. It still angers me thinking about it.

A Huge Disappointment

Technical Recruiter (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsGood work life balance, 40k salary right out of college, young atmosphere- you will probably fit in if you were in greek life or a sports team in college.

ConsMetro Systems was founded on the same robotic model that many of the big players in the staffing industry play by (Apex, TekSystems, Insight Global, etc.). They hire solely recent grads with zero professional experience. This is mainly because they are naive, and are the only ones who will play by the owners rules, or as they say in the interview, "are mold-able." Everyone from the company interviews you, and seeing all the young and hopeful faces, it's hard not to feel some credibility and therefore encourage you to accept the position.

Everyone starts in a technical recruiter position, and is expected to move into sales. I personally never understood this model, as some of the best recruiters may not thrive in sales (and vice versa). The technology training is sparse, and after 2 weeks of pretty much sitting around, you hit the phones. Recruiting isn't brain surgery, and that's what these small shops are banking on. Most anyone can talk candidates through a job description, bring them in, and basically read over their resume once again to make sure they will represent the company well. I will say, recruiting in general is a great professional skill, and these interactions and internal interviews are a positive experience for the developing young professional.

If you show any type of slight interest, or are there too long, you will move into sales. Most of the recruiters in the pit seem to fear the position- as no one has stayed with the organization long enough to actually be successful. The sales training is non-existent as it is pretty much "uncharted territory" for the company. 22 and 23 year olds with basically no training, little IT exposure, and a short tenure in the industry, are expected to meet Sr. level execs and managers to sell the business. There is no set system of prospecting, and the majority of the people who would take the meetings prove to not be useful in gaining new business.

I just felt like the legitimacy factor was not there, as well as the morals that served as the backbone on the business.

Proceed with caution. I came in hoping for the best and believing in the vision of the company. However, I ended my employment there with the harsh realization that these promises were not truths.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf two executives are going to run an organization of entirely entry level employees, they both must be present at least 40 hours a week. Leaving young, recent grads to their own devices and without direction isn't beneficial to the company or the employees.
    Also, be compassionate to the employees of the organization. Treating people as if they are expendable (even though entry level grads are) is disheartening for the morale and internal confidence in the vision of the organization. Learn from your mistakes, and try to somehow put an end of the current 100% yearly turnover rate.

Worked for Metro Systems (VA)? Contribute to the Community!