Metro Transit St. Louis Reviews

Updated March 12, 2015
7 reviews filtered by
3.2
Larry Salci

1. Fun and friendly company serving the transportation needs of metro stl area.

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Metro Transit St. Louis part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free transportation to and from my job and any event I was going to in Illinois and Mo area around St. Louis. Great web site for traveling in the area with special events.

Cons

Applied for several higher positions without any communication from company.

Acknowledge job applications with some form of communication.

2. Outdated practices

I worked at Metro Transit St. Louis

Pros

Cool supervisors
    Casual Friday
    New office building in April

Cons

Very outdated management practices
    ideas move painfully slow through the upper ranks
    Not much room for creative ideas

Get with the times and listen to your market. They need non-politically driven presidents.

3. Not A Bad Place To Work, But Needs A Change To Remain Descent.

Current Employee - Electromechanic in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Electromechanic in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Metro Transit St. Louis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours (for the most part), Good Front line Supervisors, Overtime, Never Get Bored With The Same Job Task. Nice Co-workers. On The Job Training.

Cons

Very Poor Parts Management. 24/7/365 day job. Going on 3 years without a raise. 5 years without a union contract. Top Heavy Management. Always Short handed. Poor Engineering.

To Start, Work with the Union to get a Union Contract. Bring Wages to A Satisfied Level to Prevent Loss of Higher Skilled Workers. Overhaul the Parts Department To Actually Stock Parts in Orderly Fashion(not 3 weeks after we need the part).

Not keeping pace with minimum wage

Current Employee - Gateway Arch in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Gateway Arch in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Metro Transit St. Louis

Pros

Flexible about time off. upward mobility if you can get out of the arch. Indoor climinate controlled environment to work in.

Cons

Raises are basically non existant. Unless you can transfer your skills to another department with in the agency you are stuck at a dead end at the gateway arch.

Don't just give us lip service. Put your money where your mouth is when you say we are doing a good job. Also it's kind of insincere that virtually no one who is above the the minimum wage level takes transit to work. I highly doubt the CEO from chesterfield is taking the bus to the metrolink to get to work every day.

6. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Metro Transit St. Louis

Pros

The hours are flexible, the people are fun, and it's a worthy cause. Public transportation is something everyone should be behind.

Cons

Not really able to advance within the company right now. Hopefully this will change once the economy picks up some more.

There are other positions besides bus drivers/light rail vehicale operators/maintenance people that are mission critical. You should consider hiring more people.

7. I'm outta here!

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Metro Transit St. Louis

Pros

Employer-paid transit benefit, pension vested at 5 years, good 401K program, free flu shots and health screenings, work-out room, good location downtown on Lacledes Landing

Cons

Terrible communication lines, not much room for movement upward, shabby work environment, out of touch with customer needs

Learn to give feedback on a more regular basis, recognize positives and achievement

8. One in which I learned alot and met some very good people.

Former Employee - Rail Manager/Controller
    Former Employee - Rail Manager/Controller

I worked at Metro Transit St. Louis

Pros

Upper management sees you as a person not a number. The people, especially my co-workers, were very kind and good to me

Cons

Metro/Bi-State is very conservative like the rest of Missouri. It needs to work on accepting all people, ages, sizes, races and orientations as equal.

Moving people laterally can help with boredom from being on the same job for 15 yrs. Just saying some old heads would have enjoyed new duties.