MetroStar Systems

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ali Reza Manouchehri

Full-time

ProsGreat people with a great environment to learn and grow

ConsFew opportunities to work from home

Growing Pains

Reston, VA

ProsWith a firm grip on the government and civilian space, they also successfully transitioned into a product company with Zoomph. They provided solid training opportunities and promoted a good work/life balance.

ConsHad some issues transitioning into the commercial space and do not have a particularly loyal attitude toward newer employees. The nature of contractual business dictates that bodies need to fill seats, and anyone is expendable if a contract falls through or isn't renewed.

Why would you work here?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work with some great, talented people
    Contemporary office

ConsTerribly mismanaged, the sheer fact that they're still in business and are awarded contracts baffles me. Praying isn't a strategy.
    Complete lack of transparency.
    Nepotism.
    Long, painful hours.
    Continually over-promise and under-deliver.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating people like cattle, like a commodity. Treat people like people and seriously consider actually acting how a company should. I have not recommended this company to any friends.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Clueless Management

ProsCool office environment
    Great co-workers
    Dedicated Staff

ConsManagement has no clue how to lead business. They started this business out of college with no prior business background, and they are not willing to take advice.
    Senior management has immediate family in the company head quarters frequently which is strange.

Pushes your boundaries and knowlege along with the company's growth

ProsVery Dynamic! Absolutey at the forefront of technology. They have several patents out. If you want to learn, and be pushed forward - this company is for you. If you want to slow down, don't bother!
    Excellect mentorship, Opportunity to meet with different kinds of people and customers
    Open to ideas and they will always make time to listen if you reach out and ask.
    Lots of employee activities throughout the year like the Health and fitness program, Happy Hour, Thanksgiving, annual picnics and parties. You work hard / Play hard and grow as you want to.

ConsThere is usually several projects that you may get assigned to. Lots of things pop up that you did not expect and you have to adapt. The plus here is you will get lots of training for anything you're asked to do. So in short - may not be for people who want to sit in one project for a long time. But there are long term projects as well - depends on what you applied for and where you are placed. So ask!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep reminding the employees that you are there to mentor and continue to pay attention to what each person wants. Sometimes its different, so ask the employee what their aspirations are

Fast Growing! Great Culture!

ProsThis is very fast growing company and it's in Reston which is really a plus for me.
    People here are very nice and collaborative. Nice culture! Hours are very flexible also.

ConsBecause this is fast growing company, there are a lot of works need to be done. Many people come and go because of this.

Let's be honest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people -- the handful of individuals I got to work closely with throughout my time at MetroStar were talented, creative, and resourceful. I always knew who I could always count on, as well as have the ability to collaborate with many types of individuals in different fields of work.

ConsSeveral:
    - Long, exhaustive, miserable hours. Prepare yourself for last-minute requests and highly unrealistic turnaround to consume your time.
    - Lack of communication and organization. There was no structure in my department, and no one to particularly count on regarding leadership. No matter who I addressed issues with, very rarely did they get resolved. The lack of communication was not only a concern internally, but also with client projects. Many times, communication was not streamlined and dispersed among peers.
    - No room for growth.
    - No transparency within the entire company. The rumor mill is exceptionally strong, and with no awareness of what was going on, word of mouth was the only way to stay in the loop. This also caused distress and concern among peers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees what they deserve. There are so many key individuals that do not get the recognition they deserve, but instead are worked to the point of misery as a way to "show value". It seems as if the focus is not making the company great, but rather "looking" like a great company. The potential is there, but the drive and mindset is not in the right place.

All talk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- People are friendly.
    - Office is in a great location and the space feels quite modern.
    - Stakeholders are enthusiastic and passionate about their work.
    - Culture tries to be more like a start-up than government work.

Cons- Management is all talk and promises with very little follow through.
    - Open work environment is distracting.
    - Work from many is mediocre at best and this seems acceptable.
    - Not all employees are not treated equally or fairly.

Good experiences if you stay there, good annual parties

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsGood experiences if you stay there, good annual party. You will enjoy the game room.

ConsWill reduce the rate if you are put on different projects. So you probably will be hired as higher rate.

Good People, though the experience is what you make it.

Reston, VA

Pros-Culture
    -Friendly co-workers
    -Ambitious goals
    -Extremely flexible career paths
    -Understands the importance of taking a break to re-focus

Cons-Disorganized projects and unrealistic expectations at times
    -Sometimes goals are overly ambitious and employees suffer because of it

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have been re-structuring the company hierarchy which should provide better organization in the future. A continuation of this process is key for maintaining growth in business and also in employees.

Worked for MetroStar Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MetroStar Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MetroStar Systems CEO Ali Reza Manouchehri. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by MetroStar Systems employees.