Metroland Media Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ian Oliver

Senior Software Developer

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsCareer Opportunities, Compensation & Benefits, Work/Life Balance, Senior Management,
    Culture & Values

Consincreasing workloads for existing employees

Good working experience

Graphic Production Design (Former Employee) Burlington, ON (Canada)

ProsImmediate management are fair, and care about their employees. Compensation package is good. Good opportunities for various types of employment.

ConsNeed more opportunities for in house web training.

Challenging both positively and negatively.

Advertising Sales Manager (Former Employee) St. Catharines, ON (Canada)

ProsTraining, benefits and potential growth where very good.

ConsAs a manager I was not incented nearly enough and the workload made for a work/life balance very difficult. I guess this happens in companies that are experiencing a downward turn. When it was good it was good though and I am appreciative of the opportunities provided.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't spread your managers and sales staff to thin. Consider more project management/planning before launching something new to consider the human casualties and resource debris that may result. Listen to your staff when they protest as there are common threads.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alright place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood benefits, though you need to stay for a minimum of 3 years to take a full advantage of their group benefits, shorter weekly hours, near the highway, friendly people

ConsMeasly pay, poor and non existent work culture in some departments, no possibility of career growth, staggered hours

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more communication between departments and management. I feel there's no vision or direction of the company.

Empty promises

Advertising Sales Representative (Current Employee) Thorold, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat starting off point after college to get sales experience under your belt. Managers do not act like managers, they are your friends. This means you have less accountability than you would normally have and a generally easier and more fun work environment. There are lots of group activities to keep employees engaged: contests, lottery pool, birthday parties, free food, etc

ConsBase pay + commission works out to less than minimum wage if you don't sell. I meet my quotas and live off of $400 a week. The driving this job requires me to do costs approx. $100 a week, leaving me with less than minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommission based pay does not make your reps sell more and succeed. It perpetuates hostility at the bottom level (the level that makes the company money) and it's why you have a revolving door of people quitting and starting, over and over. There are sales reps who use food banks and that is shameful.

Classic inept management and employees take the fall for their poor decisions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey leave you alone - which actually speaks to the lack of work to do. The benefits are good, I suppose.

ConsMetroland has a wide range of resources, but is quick to pull the plug on projects and employees. Upper management hires poor middle management, who develop poor products which fail. Rather old fashioned in adherence to print and in their treatment of employees.

Advice to Senior Managementif the goal of the division is "aggressive profits" then perhaps spend time developing products that people actually want, rather than hiring inept people who fail, which results in laying people off.

Pleasant

District Representative (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexibility with work hours, this is excellent if you have a family.

ConsWages are low depending on the division you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people according to their experience.

Great place to work

ProsPeople are the strength of the company

ConsLarge number of regional offices - could be more collaborative.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare vision.

Management discards employees like kleenex, beware of micro managing, unprofessional negative working environment!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsIf you like to be micro managed this is the job for you! Your opinion is heard on deaf ears. Its a job that's all !

ConsManagers that should not speak to sales people. Demotivating environement, they misrepresent to new employees. Bias environment and lack of team spirit all directed by their manager. Someone is to blame and it is never due to lack of leadership. Managers are untrust worthy and scapgoat to employees they may not like? The pay is less than industry standard but they represent it otherwise. Be aware before you leap into this mess. I'm not writing this for sour grapes. One week after I landed here and looked around and I started looking for the door! I wish someone warned me! WOW! It was an eye opener! .

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement that shouldn't be in management is the problem. Read some books on how to be a good manager. Be respectful, professional, not rude and strung out freak!..The key to being successful is to have some semblence of a calm and positive environment! Future looks grim if you are relying on these fellows for the future of the company.

Awesome

ProsGreat company Great pay Awesome service

Conshave to work outside in all kinds of weather

Worked for Metroland Media Group? Contribute to the Community!