Metroland Media Group Reviews

Senior Software Developer

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Career Opportunities, Compensation & Benefits, Work/Life Balance, Senior Management,
    Culture & Values

Cons

increasing workloads for existing employees

Has been a positive experience, opportunity to grow and develop, great people, community focused.

I have been working at Metroland Media Group full-time

Pros

Great internal training opportunities for development, large company with many internal posted opportunities, individual development plans available to work with your manager on developing your skills for your career path. Entrepreneurial company, allows for your ideas to be heard. Opportunities exist to work with and make a difference in your community.

Cons

Some leaders still have old school mentality when it comes to office culture, improvements could be made in this area, but there are many great locations to work from across this large company.

Commit to improving culture to stay competitive and retain employees, make leaders accountable for this.

Do not work here.

Current Employee - Retail Representative  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You are not micro managed here. You get paid on time. It's really hard to come up with pros. Sorry.

Cons

Clueless upper management. The company is going down. Do not work here. Do not work here. I repeat do not work here. Thank you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good working experience

Former Employee - Graphic Production Design  in  Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Graphic Production Design in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I worked at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Immediate management are fair, and care about their employees. Compensation package is good. Good opportunities for various types of employment.

Cons

Need more opportunities for in house web training.

Severe lack of progressive thinking..

Current Employee - Advertising Sales Representative  in  Halton Hills, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Halton Hills, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good people for the most part
    - Work with interesting clients

Cons

- Old school management/motivation techniques. They instill a "fear" culture in sales so you essentially feel as though a proverbial "gun" is to your head with every project, in spite of the fact that you'll be pushing products that your clients clearly do not want.
    - Products need to be reinvented/refreshed. When something is not working, DON'T keep doing it and hoping for increased results!
    - They expect their sales people to be miracle workers.
    - Have recently partnered with a company called NRS Media who walk a fine legal line with their bully tactics towards sales staff. Senior sales people are forced to do hours on end of straight up cold telemarketing whilst having to generate their own dead-end leads.
    - It has become a ridiculous environment with way too many balls for each sales person to juggle, and not being compensated accordingly for all the angst that is derived for the overwhelming work load.

-Simple - LISTEN to your sales people....LISTEN to your clients! Do not continually force products down your clients' throats and expect them to remain loyal and happy.
    - Do NOT implement programs (NRS Media) that make your entire fleet of sales people miserable to the point of mass exodus.

Challenging both positively and negatively.

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager  in  St. Catharines, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in St. Catharines, ON (Canada)

I worked at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Training, benefits and potential growth where very good.

Cons

As a manager I was not incented nearly enough and the workload made for a work/life balance very difficult. I guess this happens in companies that are experiencing a downward turn. When it was good it was good though and I am appreciative of the opportunities provided.

Don't spread your managers and sales staff to thin. Consider more project management/planning before launching something new to consider the human casualties and resource debris that may result. Listen to your staff when they protest as there are common threads.

Alright place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, though you need to stay for a minimum of 3 years to take a full advantage of their group benefits, shorter weekly hours, near the highway, friendly people

Cons

Measly pay, poor and non existent work culture in some departments, no possibility of career growth, staggered hours

There needs to be more communication between departments and management. I feel there's no vision or direction of the company.

Empty promises

Current Employee - Advertising Sales Representative  in  Thorold, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Thorold, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great starting off point after college to get sales experience under your belt. Managers do not act like managers, they are your friends. This means you have less accountability than you would normally have and a generally easier and more fun work environment. There are lots of group activities to keep employees engaged: contests, lottery pool, birthday parties, free food, etc

Cons

Base pay + commission works out to less than minimum wage if you don't sell. I meet my quotas and live off of $400 a week. The driving this job requires me to do costs approx. $100 a week, leaving me with less than minimum wage.

Commission based pay does not make your reps sell more and succeed. It perpetuates hostility at the bottom level (the level that makes the company money) and it's why you have a revolving door of people quitting and starting, over and over. There are sales reps who use food banks and that is shameful.

Classic inept management and employees take the fall for their poor decisions

I worked at Metroland Media Group part-time

Pros

They leave you alone - which actually speaks to the lack of work to do. The benefits are good, I suppose.

Cons

Metroland has a wide range of resources, but is quick to pull the plug on projects and employees. Upper management hires poor middle management, who develop poor products which fail. Rather old fashioned in adherence to print and in their treatment of employees.

if the goal of the division is "aggressive profits" then perhaps spend time developing products that people actually want, rather than hiring inept people who fail, which results in laying people off.

Pleasant

Current Employee - District Representative  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - District Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Metroland Media Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility with work hours, this is excellent if you have a family.

Cons

Wages are low depending on the division you are in.

Pay people according to their experience.

Worked for Metroland Media Group? Contribute to the Community!