Metromedia Energy

Updated July 5, 2014
Updated July 5, 2014
4.0

Jonathan Morris

Large Company with small business feel.

Current Employee - Senior Energy Portfolio Manager in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Energy Portfolio Manager in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Metromedia Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Metromedia Energy is a motivated company that allows you to earn based on what you put in. The potential is there the moment you get hired and management is eager to see you succeed. I find the numbers you are expected to do transparent and well communicated to you from the beginning. MME also allows you to find your own way of closing deals. If you prefer to go on the road, or be more of an inside salesperson they encourage you to find your niche. The company has invested in improving products and automated systems to help the salespeople succeed. I worked in another industry for 5 years prior to joining MME and the stability and growth offered here is unmatched. The advantage of being a private company where you get to meet the people in charge is important, and helps you get decisions made quickly.

Overall I continue to grow with the company and appreciate the opportunity they have given me.

Cons

This is more about the industry, things are changing very rapidly and information from the utilities and PUC's can be difficult to ascertain. We try to keep this info available, but it evolves quickly.

Keep listening to feedback from employees and continue to invest in IT programs to help facilitate sales.

Dishonest

I worked at Metromedia Energy full-time

Pros

Compensation, location, benefits package above average

Cons

Office culture and politics, senior management throws temper tantrums

Management needs to be more honest with candidates in the interview process, and once hired, need to truly understand that employees are human, not robots, and have family life needs outside of the office. More accommodations could have been made for working at home when physically being present was not possible, so that workflow could have continued despite being bedridden. The role I had was all based off websites and downloading and uploading information, so that really could have been accommodated at home. Not very understanding with sickness and family issues.

Great Company to create your own success!!!

Current Employee - Energy Portfolio Manager in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Energy Portfolio Manager in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Metromedia Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Sales opportunity! I work out of the New England office in Westborough, MA and I have worked here for just shy of 2 years. This is sales… you chose how much money you make and where you go. Here we are given the opportunity to build our own book of business and given all the tools you will need for success. We work hard but we play hard and same as any sales Job, if you hit your numbers and make your sales you will love it and never want to leave! Very low turnover here and we all help each other (unlike many companies where the salesmen are stepping on each other).

Cons

The industry itself is getting overrun. The competition is fierce and heavy but we are one of the biggest and most seasoned suppliers out there so we won’t be going anywhere. Once the industry took off and more small-time companies got into it, it made the market very fed-up with talking to energy reps.

Our mangers are incredibly knowledgeable which could certainly play to our advantage. I would suggest regular meetings (2 per week perhaps) just to give us that edge over the competition.

Opportunities to Advance!

I have been working at Metromedia Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Metromedia Energy (MME) has been growing since I began my career in Sales almost 7 years ago. The growth & expansion has opened up opportunities to move into management level positions & increase personal income as well as learning different aspects in the energy industry. The work environment is great and everyone is willing & open to helping each other out, sharing & exchanging ideas in a lucrative & competitive market. For the past few years new systems & procedures have been implemented to increase the efficiency & productivity for sales people. If you're looking for great earning potential and a great place to work with all the right tools to help you get there, I'm happy to say that MME has gotten me there and is the company to be at.

Cons

No Cons. Management has an open door policy and are always open for new ideas.

Best Sales Job I've had

Current Employee - Energy Portfolio Manager in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at Metromedia Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Was surprised to read some bad reviews but some are from before the big changes in sales. Not a lot of turn over but a few bad apples came and went from the sales team -- but most have been here a long time. I had bad sales jobs before so I like it here. Management is fair and honest about the job when you interview. Everyone likes the summer hours and casual fridays but the pay and commission are better than other jobs I had. My coworkers are nice and we all help each other. Managers actually care if you have emergencies or feel down. You do have to work hard but for the most part it's a lot of fun. Hard to get in but if you get in no one wants to leave.

Cons

We are paid twice a month but it would be better if it was every other friday.

I would say that management is pretty good. they are always trying to come up with new things for sales to use to make life easier. Maybe find a way to combine all of our systems into one instead.

Great Company, Cares about its employees

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Metromedia Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been working with the company for 15 + years in a management position and we have grown from a few start up employees into cohesive team with a support staff that compares to no one else. CEO knows and respects its management staff and affords autonomy. When necessary, requests for additional resources are provided in a timely manner.

Cons

There is no flextime at present

Dog Eat Dog World

Former Employee - Sales in Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at Metromedia Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent salary, and summer hours

Cons

There are plenty of other energy companies out there. Don't waste your time here. YOu are just a number, and God forbid you complain about something. Welcome to the age of social media - you can't treat your employees like crap and get away with it. Good luck competing against companies like Hess and the utilities when you don't value your biggest asset, your employees!

A company is only as good as its employees. GO to business school and learn the basics on running a good company.

Dynamic Company to be associated with!!

Current Employee - Office Manager in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Metromedia Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve been an employee for 12+ years in Westboro, MA office. I have seen, and been a part of, the growth of this office from fewer than six employees to a staff of over twenty employees today!! There were many “growing pains” in the early years but, with the commitment and vision of the executive management, this office has evolved into a stable and viable part of Metromedia Energy!!

The employees of Metromedia Energy are valued as assets and the compensation and benefits package reflect that philosophy to the max. The company was very generous during the economic crisis in 2008 and still continues to this day!!

We now have a brand new office here in Westboro with the capacity to add to our staff of dedicated professionals. With our cutting edge sales and marketing strategies, I believe the best days of Metromedia Energy are still ahead!!

Cons

On a few occasions, there may be a communications "disconnect" between the NJ and MA offices. These are few and far between and are resolved in a timely and amicable manner

It would be beneficial to have an Annual meeting to promote exchange of ideas and to enhance the Team concept philosophy of Metromedia Energy

Progressive Company, Great for the Entrepreneurial-Minded

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at Metromedia Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been an employee for 5+ years. The company offers the right balance of structure and freedom, especially for sales people. For those that produce sales the financial rewards are abundant. There is no micro-managing here, and that is a company-wide ideology. This is also a stable, evolving, growing company which is hard to find in today's market. There is little to no turn over, even in sales. MME is a good place to work if you're serious about starting or continuing a career in deregulated energy.

Cons

On occasion, heads of departments can overlap causing confusion regarding process management.

Be more selective about hiring.

Toxic Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at Metromedia Energy

Pros

Very good salary time off & health benefits.

Excellent sales people to work with - extremely helpful.

Summer hours are a nice benefit.

Cons

The company sells lower priced energy, i.e. electricity & natural gas to commercial customers only.

They were one of the first to get into this business, ~ 15 years ago, no real competition back then, and have become very complacent.

90% of your job is by telephone - and you're calling people who will tell you that you are the third person that day to call about reducing their energy costs. They discourage you going out on the road to cold call or meet with customers - they don't trust you.

Management is completely clueless about marketing and sales management.

The only marketing and sales plan is to keep sending the same marketing materials to the same companies - with the same results - near zero return. It's not unusual to get the return envelope either empty of filled with junk.

You know the definition of insanity, right? It's practiced here.

They offer minimal training - in what can be a very complex contract with the 12+ electricity suppliers and the customer. I fould this to be very strange in a company that pays very well. I lost several sales due to lack of training/knowledge of the industry.

They rule by fear and untimidation. You are told (by your fellow sales people w/in the first week you are there) to keep your head down & your mouth shut. Never complain.

If you don't make sales, you are fired. Understandable, but no help/support from management.

It's like an insurance company - if/when you get fired, they keep your accounts, and your residual commissions. And they don't have to pay your salary. See their incentive?

No support from the "Sales Manager" - only; "...need more sales".

Sales Mgr. is not trusted - he also is in sales and seen as competition from the sales team; ex.: does he keep the good leads for himself? I doubt if he has ever previously held a sales managers position before.

Their marketing/sales plan is to have the sales team watch "webinars" - which may or may not be relevant (which means the sales manager/CEO didn't review content, which means you/they wasted an hour and a half of your time). But you don't care.

If the webinar content is relevant, then that becomes the "sales mantra" for the week - again showing that the CEO/Sales Manager is clueless and have no ideas of their own.

The sales people are all great to work with, extremely helpful. But they come in at 8:58am, and are putting on their coats at 4:58pm. That says they want to spend the minimum time at work.

Without a comphresensive and integrated marketing and sales plan, competition will eat their lunch, and competition is rapidly heating up.

Get a real/experienced sales/marketing manager.