Metron Aviation

Metron Aviation President & CEO James Gaughan

James Gaughan

Innovative and progressive environment

Human Resources (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsMacro-management style, allowed independent thinkers to flourish.

ConsHard time adjusting when the federal market changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore lines of communication to staff members.

Good Company Turned Bad

Pros* Smart and talented coworkers
    * Laid back work environment
    * Some international work opportunities

Cons* Very few options for project work
    * Work is not particularly innovative, challenging, or interesting
    * Low salaries
    * Overpaid and top-heavy management. Why does such a small company need so many VPs?
    * Nearly all top management was brought in from the outside
    * No training or professional development opportunities. Every hour you work must be charged to a project and must be directly related to the project
    * Uncertain future

Advice to Senior ManagementMetron was once a really great company and a really great place to work. Then, the company got bought and everything became about money and profits rather than about the people. Also, most of the upper management is incompetent, lazy, and doesn't care about the people at the company.

Advice to Management:
    * Demote the VPs that are not performing at the level they are getting paid for
    * Promote from within the company.
    * Focus on finding more fun and innovative project work to bid on
    * Provide some training and professional development opportunities
    * Continue pursuing international work

Laid off because of government shut down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun to be around some of the people

ConsUpper management does not care about the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementProtect your current employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Managed into the ground

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, good work-life balance, tons of vacation if you were grandfathered into the old PTO schedule, interesting and challenging work when it's available.

ConsUncertain future of the company! Major red flag for those looking to work here; they can tell you about all this work they Could get, but how much work is actually coming to fruition? Poor company morale due to mismanagement, lack of promotion opportunity (unless you've worked for Lockheed!), somewhat lackluster pay scale, constant promises for bonuses by setting unattainable corporate goals, lack of accountability from management for poor business decisions. It's really a shame because Metron used to be such a great company. Now that ownership has changed hands several times, a lot of the innovative research work is either ineligible for competition (i.e., SBIR) or the parent company has no interest in helping the company to maintain the industry reputation and knowledge that has been built up over the past decade or so (e.g, the work isn't profitable enough).

Advice to Senior ManagementThin out the number of VPs. Stop hiring management from outside the company. You've already lost a lot of your best talent, do more to keep those you have left. Example, bonuses: certainly the bonus pool at the end of the year can be funded at SOME level. You really shouldn't give everyone something, but reward your best people. Some people might be mad they aren't getting anything, but good -- they were bad employees anyway. Get rid of the spot bonus program. It's not enough money to be effective at incentivizing employees and the rules surrounding it seem arbitrary and like it supports favoritism in an unproductive way. I know quite a few of the problems are being caused by Airbus' demands, but do more to either call them out for the actual reason why they bought Metron in the first place or explain to your employees why you think their unreasonable expectations make good business sense.

Lead Analyst

ProsFlex schedule, great atmosphere, great benefits

Consto many VP's and unknown future

Mixed opinion

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsUnique line of work; smart & talented technical staff; relatively small size; exposure to interesting research with a variety of customers

ConsLack of advancement opportunities; small company trying to operate in much bigger shoes; senior management is out of touch;

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to staff morale; acknowledge and address negative perceptions before they become ingrained in the minds of those below you

Decent company, good benefits

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsGood work environment that doesn't contain much stress. Pay is ok with good benefits. Allowed to have a pretty flexible schedule.

ConsI don't feel like I've learned a lot. Career can get stagnant here as they hire a lot of the upper positions from outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should start promoting from within. I think company morale is affected by this.

Very nice place to work at

ProsGood benefit (although used to be better); flexible working environment

ConsNot all the work is interesting and meaningful

More like an FAA staffing company

(Former Employee)

Prosflexible schedule, relaxed environment and laid back people

Consno promotion, little raise, mediocre salary. a museum of Federal X's: Ex administrators, ex-officials to attract federal funding and who are not supposed to do any type of work as we know it. Other than that, Metron hires top people for cheap, creates impressive resumes for them and sells them to FAA for top money.

Advice to Senior Managementyour business model is working. but on the side think about what products or services you can create to sell to the public too. consider giving raises and promote them regularly instead of hiring from outside. grass should not always be greener on the other side.

Nice company great benefits Crappy pay scale!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsThe working environment was fun and friendly. I loved the people that I worked with and they really made it feel like family atmosphere.

ConsThe pay scale is terrible! Companies are paying 50-100% more for the same experience. Not a very good structure for promotions or abilities to climb the ladder. Senior management is never promoted from within but hired in.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease what your paying people. Giving senior management large salaries and paying the real workers peanuts wont provide you anything but a high level of churn. And the more churn you have the lower your quality of work is.
    Also have a better review/promotion process. People want to feel like they are making progress not that they are not getting anywhere!

Worked for Metron Aviation? Contribute to the Community!