Metropolitan Museum of Art
www.metmuseum.org New York, NY

Metropolitan Museum of Art Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
Metropolitan Museum of Art – New York – “Metropolitan Museum of Art”

Thomas P. Campbell

great place to work

ProsExcelent benefits, work/home balance. Great and caring co-workers.

ConsNot alot of growth potential..

If you are looking to have a career in one of the curatorial departments, this is the place to be. If not, move on.

ProsGreat benefits. Both retirement, vacation, and tuition reimbursement. Medical insurance is not the best, but it is not bad either. Most people are friendly.

ConsAs I said in my title, if you are looking to have a career in one of the curatorial departments, it is a great place. Most in those departments are very passionate about their work. Many people would complain about the high level of snobbery from many of the higher ups. I would list that as a con, but you will get that anywhere.
    My major complaint is all the other departments. I see very little interest in the institution or in art at all. Most of the staff that I have known with passion in these departments, have moved on to other institutions or career paths. Being that the Met is a non profit, you can imagine the salaries are not the highest. Because of this, most of the staff in all the other departments have either failed in the private sector or are lazy with no ambition to grow. This starts from the lower level staff and goes all the way up to management. No one wants to be bothered with helping the hard working staff grow, nor do they want to be bothered with punishing the terrible employees. Unless you steal, or don't show up to work. It is impossible to get fired at the Met.
    One of the recruiters is very gender biased. If you were to subtract the security, custodial and the men that move all the heavy art around, you have an extremely overwhelming amount of female employees. I would say it is close to 80%

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way employee reviews are done. Have all staff evaluate the people that evaluate them. Also, hire more recruiters.

Great benefits if you can ever use them....low salaries...and poor sales techniques

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFree admission to many museums around the state and country

ConsI was consistently denied vacation requests for nearly a year because I needed a week off for surgery and I was told that I had just taken time a few months ago -sick time for surgery, not vacation. I wasn't allowed to hire anyone full-time. I was only allowed one holiday a year off and had to work every other holiday because they did not want to pay holiday pay to sales staff. They used sales goals and sales tactics that were poor. For example- You have to not only exceed your sales goal by a large percentage but also beat last year in order to get this very small incentive. Also if you beat your sales goal they made the goal even harder the next year. They never really wanted to provide the incentives was the feeling by all.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Meets Monet

Visitor Service Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFree access to a number of museums around the city, a good way to get a foot in the door within the museum world, discounts in the gift shop and event tickets. It is also a great way to meet new people...during the summer months the roof top garden is open to visitors. Great views of Manhattan.

ConsCompensation is sub par; depending on what you are looking to do within the museum world, there is not much growth potential (ie curator positions, which require additional education). At times I would have to deal with very rude customers, and not get much back up from my managers. It was frustrating at times.

Worst working environment I have ever experienced.

Curatorial Department (Former Employee)

Pros-Good pay
    -Good institution
    -Good benefits
    -Good hours (9-5)
    -Good opportunity to enter the art world

Cons-ZERO camaraderie amongst coworkers (every man for themselves)
    -HORRIBLE management - they inadequately explain your role or responsibilities
    -They value employees who donate money, not who do a good job/respect others
    -MAJOR bureaucracy; those in higher roles think they are so above everyone else

Advice to Senior Management-Stop treating others like they are peasants, just because they are in positions under you
    -Give clearer directions and incentive to do good work

Deceiving -- working here might dismantle your ideas about your favorite cultural institution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsArt, Culture, Building, Co-workers, cafeteria

ConsTerrible pay, awful hierarchal structure

College Intern

ProsGreat environment to meet college students interested in the arts and arts management.

ConsFor a college student there weren't enough networking opportunities.

Amazing institution, incredible benefits, decent salaries for arts

ProsGenerally treats workers well. Wonderful to work for a place with a great mission and reputation. Higher salaries than most other museums offer. Very easy to move laterally.

ConsSome jobs have sub-par salaries. Some departments more elitist than others. Moving up more than one step difficult if you're not willing to wait a very long time. Politics can play a major role in some departments.

I couldn't be happier.

New York, NY

ProsMy department is constantly looking for ways to improve the way we work and the services we offer to the public. Our department head is always accessible and open to suggestions from all staff members.

ConsThe Museum is a non-profit organization so we'll never make the same kind of money as people in sales or finance, but I'm totally fine with that. My job is spiritually rewarding, has great benefits, and I make a living wage.

Intern

New York, NY

Prosgood dining halls, Great people, great fellows

Conspay relatively low and do not get to interact with your boss that often - although it's good amount

Worked for Metropolitan Museum of Art? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Metropolitan Museum of Art reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Metropolitan Museum of Art CEO Thomas P. Campbell. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Metropolitan Museum of Art employees.