www.metmuseum.org

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
3.5

Thomas P. Campbell

Pros
  • Great Benefits and work/ life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Its a prestigious company to work for, good benefits, friendly staff (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It is difficult to move to another department unless you know someone (in 3 reviews)

• It's a non-profit, and as such they really do try to squeeze blood from stone (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting experience, too much jesus.

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pros

Geting to see the inside of the museum, guards are great fun.

Cons

Snotty PHD's are everywhere. Pay is ok though

Inaction in Action

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in one of the world's greatest cultural landmarks; many fun, quirky people who care a lot about their work. If you are in a visitor area, it's a magical place.

Cons

What is called collaboration at the Met is, instead, a collective abandonment of responsibility. When something goes wrong, everybody points fingers at someone else who was in the room when the decision was made. The Met is also a chronically risk averse environment which results in a lack of innovation and a refusal to terminate non-performers. If you are a screw-up who went to Yale and interviews well, this is the place for you! This is minimal accountability for poor performers and overloading of strong performers with minimal upward mobility.

Reward reasonable risk taking. Separate non-performers so that good performers do not get saddled with their work.

Amazing organization.

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Transparency, education available to staff, excellent benefits, generous time off, decent salary for nonprofit, access to best art collection in the world. FANTASTIC place to work! The Met invests in their employees -- it is no wonder that so many people stick around for so long. This museum truly deserves its good reputation.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic at times. Breaking through the "newbie" ceiling can be challenging. But overall, worth it.

Extremely positive experience at one of the most diverse and open museums in the world.

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

People at the Met are always smiling and know exactly what to say and when to say it.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be difficult to navigate through, especially if you are moving up.

The met has a great experience depending on which dept.

Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting people from all over the world and communicating with them

Cons

Poor management lack of communication and support between staff and management

Be more hands on. More respect for employees

Good place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and work/ life balance.

Cons

Senior Management doesn't see forest through the trees.

great place to work

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pros

Excelent benefits, work/home balance. Great and caring co-workers.

Cons

Not alot of growth potential..

Great benefits if you can ever use them....low salaries...and poor sales techniques

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free admission to many museums around the state and country

Cons

I was consistently denied vacation requests for nearly a year because I needed a week off for surgery and I was told that I had just taken time a few months ago -sick time for surgery, not vacation. I wasn't allowed to hire anyone full-time. I was only allowed one holiday a year off and had to work every other holiday because they did not want to pay holiday pay to sales staff. They used sales goals and sales tactics that were poor. For example- You have to not only exceed your sales goal by a large percentage but also beat last year in order to get this very small incentive. Also if you beat your sales goal they made the goal even harder the next year. They never really wanted to provide the incentives was the feeling by all.

If you are looking to have a career in one of the curatorial departments, this is the place to be. If not, move on.

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Both retirement, vacation, and tuition reimbursement. Medical insurance is not the best, but it is not bad either. Most people are friendly.

Cons

As I said in my title, if you are looking to have a career in one of the curatorial departments, it is a great place. Most in those departments are very passionate about their work. Many people would complain about the high level of snobbery from many of the higher ups. I would list that as a con, but you will get that anywhere.
    My major complaint is all the other departments. I see very little interest in the institution or in art at all. Most of the staff that I have known with passion in these departments, have moved on to other institutions or career paths. Being that the Met is a non profit, you can imagine the salaries are not the highest. Because of this, most of the staff in all the other departments have either failed in the private sector or are lazy with no ambition to grow. This starts from the lower level staff and goes all the way up to management. No one wants to be bothered with helping the hard working staff grow, nor do they want to be bothered with punishing the terrible employees. Unless you steal, or don't show up to work. It is impossible to get fired at the Met.
    One of the recruiters is very gender biased. If you were to subtract the security, custodial and the men that move all the heavy art around, you have an extremely overwhelming amount of female employees. I would say it is close to 80%

Change the way employee reviews are done. Have all staff evaluate the people that evaluate them. Also, hire more recruiters.

Worst working environment I have ever experienced.

Former Employee - Curatorial Department
    Former Employee - Curatorial Department

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Good institution
    -Good benefits
    -Good hours (9-5)
    -Good opportunity to enter the art world

Cons

-ZERO camaraderie amongst coworkers (every man for themselves)
    -HORRIBLE management - they inadequately explain your role or responsibilities
    -They value employees who donate money, not who do a good job/respect others
    -MAJOR bureaucracy; those in higher roles think they are so above everyone else

-Stop treating others like they are peasants, just because they are in positions under you
    -Give clearer directions and incentive to do good work

Metropolitan Museum of Art Photos