www.metmuseum.org

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.6

Thomas P. Campbell

Pros
  • Great Benefits and work/ life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Its a prestigious company to work for, good benefits, friendly staff (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It is difficult to move to another department unless you know someone (in 3 reviews)

• It's a non-profit, and as such they really do try to squeeze blood from stone (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company but old school

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pros

Stable, great location, good access to art and behind the scenes look at a city institution. People stay forever.

Cons

Female dominated, hard to promote. Grad school necessary. Can get boring

A fulfilling work environment

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pros

I worked as a contract employee in the Membership Department of the Met Museum and had a wonderful experience. My coworkers were inclusive, welcoming and willing to assist when necessary. The office culture was welcoming and genuinely committed to the Museum's mission.

Cons

There were many repetitive tasks. The workload was not always consistent. Overall, the positive attributes outweight the negatives.

Fabulous

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The entire staff was extremely friendly and inclusive--they made sure to explain the relevance of your tasks to the larger processes of publishing. There were many perks like having access to the staff cafe, experiencing the Met before and after hours and crazy discount sales at the book shop (major plus point for those obsessed by books)

Cons

Barely any cons. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at the Met. The only grievance I might have is that I did not get the opportunity to involve myself with other departments as much as I would have liked. The editorial department is placed to connect with other departments but the contact I had as an intern was not as involved as I would have liked it to be.

Keep it up! I absolutely love and miss you guys :)

I've been working in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for about three months (part-time)

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to meet people around the world, great benefits which include free admission to all museums in NYC, tuition reimbursement and annual and sick leave policy and many more.

Cons

A lot of political issues do occur where everyone does want to move up. There's hardly any chance of moving up unless someone leaves or you do know someone from upper management or there are positons that require additional education. Pay is decent but responsibility can be a burden at times. Also theres a lot miscommunication where things are always unorganized.

Inaction in Action

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in one of the world's greatest cultural landmarks; many fun, quirky people who care a lot about their work. If you are in a visitor area, it's a magical place.

Cons

What is called collaboration at the Met is, instead, a collective abandonment of responsibility. When something goes wrong, everybody points fingers at someone else who was in the room when the decision was made. The Met is also a chronically risk averse environment which results in a lack of innovation and a refusal to terminate non-performers. If you are a screw-up who went to Yale and interviews well, this is the place for you! This is minimal accountability for poor performers and overloading of strong performers with minimal upward mobility.

Reward reasonable risk taking. Separate non-performers so that good performers do not get saddled with their work.

Interesting experience, too much jesus.

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pros

Geting to see the inside of the museum, guards are great fun.

Cons

Snotty PHD's are everywhere. Pay is ok though

Amazing organization.

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Transparency, education available to staff, excellent benefits, generous time off, decent salary for nonprofit, access to best art collection in the world. FANTASTIC place to work! The Met invests in their employees -- it is no wonder that so many people stick around for so long. This museum truly deserves its good reputation.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic at times. Breaking through the "newbie" ceiling can be challenging. But overall, worth it.

Extremely positive experience at one of the most diverse and open museums in the world.

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

People at the Met are always smiling and know exactly what to say and when to say it.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be difficult to navigate through, especially if you are moving up.

The met has a great experience depending on which dept.

Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting people from all over the world and communicating with them

Cons

Poor management lack of communication and support between staff and management

Be more hands on. More respect for employees

Good place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and work/ life balance.

Cons

Senior Management doesn't see forest through the trees.

Metropolitan Museum of Art Photos