Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools

Dr. Jesse Register

Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It serves and grants students and great teachers the power to make a difference.

Cons

The lack of teachers and students knowledge .of their individual worth.

Allows continue to empower and enhance all of individual worthiness and power of self ,God's love and pass it on.

Not that great

Current Employee - Teacher in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Summers off
    Getting to see the kids

Cons

They do not take into account the needs of the teachers.
    Things definitely roll down hill here and the teachers are where it stops.

Unequal pay

Current Employee - Senior Management in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good leadership in Leadership and Learning. K-12 direction is clearly outlined and all teachers received training describing the plan.

Cons

Unequal pay between people holding certificates and those who are on support schedule. Pay also tops out, unless you work for the COO or in Human Capital.

Create one pay scale fair to all employees

While Metro has a non-discrimination policy the current TEAM evaluation process is targeting tenured over 50 employees.

Current Employee - Teacher in Nashville, TN

Pros

Promotion and support is being given to younger non career teachers. The Teach to America program is hiring non-degreed candidates with 5 weeks of training and displacing dedicated, degreed, tenured and over 50 teachers. Metro Nashville receives 1 million dollars for every 60 Teach to America candidate they hire.

Cons

Specials teachers are treated as daycare opportunities. Band is given preferential treatment through Music Makes Us a program established by donated money. Basically our school system is for sale. Big business and government have put a price tag on our children's education. Music Makes Us was pitched as an initiative to benefit all students yet because of the financial aspect of instruments there is a racial divide in the rank and file. Second in command in Metro Jay Steele is an ex-band teacher so supports this initiative because of a personal bias. Behavior Problems end up in Art, Drama and other specials. Children do not get to choose their specials so interested students take a back seat to behavior problems. There is no consequence for unacceptable classroom behavior. For High School Credit classes take precedence in placement creating a further racial divide. Small classes in languages makes bigger classes for the specials. any student population benefits from smaller groups. Band is allowed to give private lessons during the school day and pull students out of other specials and intervention classes. Using the reasoning that band students can keep their grades up. Since they are placed using math scores band cherry picks the students with the highest chance of success and teaches then to play much practiced and much repeated musical pieces. It makes for a great collective presentation however the chair method of advancement teaches a cut throat competitive mentality. Many reports of college hazing and entitlement issues are fostered in the earlier years band programs. The TEAM teaching evaluation process makes teachers spend precious family time preparing lessons which the school day doesn't permit. Teaching time is not protected children are pulled from classes for gym competitions and dismiss early to travel to events.

Your career teachers are a valuable resource for ideas. Stop treating older career teachers as possible competition for your jobs. A good Administrator grooms teachers to be effective Administrators insuring the future for our children. If teachers are being made to revamp their teaching styles so should Administrators. Carte Blanche to pick and choose your "friends" to fill positions in your school does not insure the balance we placed in our government system. It's called a check and balance system which Metro does not have. Our Principals have become Autocrats using personality differences and religious bias to choose their staff. Principals should be required every five years to go back into the classroom to see real time the issues facing teachers. Teachers should be allowed to evaluate principals the same way principal evaluate teachers. The balance of power is ineffective.

I had a wonderful experience while working for MNPS

Former Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN

I worked at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools because each day is a unique experience. The team that I was working with was wonderful and that helped with my experience there.

Cons

As a part time employee I was not privileged to t the benefits that the full time employees received. Some of the students were really disrespectful and I hated the fact that, we really couldn't punish them like I would have wanted to.

Whenever a dispute arose involving the supervisor, the field managers were called in to mediate and I don't believe that they were entirely impartial.

Classroom Experience

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Nashville, TN

I worked at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to plan, test, be creative.

Cons

Evaluation should not have a portion on how a 7 year old perceives his teacher. Test scores should also be looked at and taken into consideration class make up.

Visit me more often and see all the wonderful things I do with my children

Good place to work

Former Employee - Teacher in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Teacher in Nashville, TN

I worked at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good leadership and great people to work with

Cons

You have to stay after school a lot

Compensation

Special Education Teacher

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Nashville, TN

I worked at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

personal growth, challenges, professional development

Cons

limited resources for special education teachers

Classroom teacher

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Nashville, TN

I worked at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, lots of training, good benefits

Cons

Lots of classroom management issues. High burnout.

Look for ways for teacher growth and combat burn out.

Good school system to work in.

Current Employee - Teacher in Nashville, TN

Pros

Competitive salary compared to surrounding counties.

Cons

Very long hours outside of interact time. Difficult to balance work and family. Never compensated for evening, weekend, or time spent outside on tract hours.

Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools Photos