Metropolitan State University

CEO

Great Changes

Current Employee - Program Support in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Program Support in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Metropolitan State University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work in the College of Community, Health, and Professional Studies (CHCPS), specifically in the School of Nursing, and I love it! The office environment is open and supportive and everyone is very hard-working. CHCPS is undergoing some fundamental shifts right now (we used to be two colleges and were merged into one 2 years ago) and most people are supportive and positive regarding the direction we're moving.

Cons

The University as a whole, and even some within CHCPS, struggle to communicate openly and create a positive working environment.

Good people, solid work.

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Metropolitan State University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Really enjoyed the level of comfort and respect members of academia afford professionals. They talk to you about their ideas, solicit feedback, and amenable to changes.

Cons

Quite frankly, contract experience ended much too quickly. Really enjoyed working with this crew.

None.

A hidden treasure in the Twin Cities

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Metropolitan State University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This is a great place for a returning student to get the education necessary to change careers. Graduate assistantships and internships are readily available.

Cons

Jobs are short term, by semester.

Metro State tends to be bureaucratic.

A student's perspective

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Metropolitan State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location and student population

Cons

As is any state university, it is a typical bureaucratic state agency.

Political, but good people

Current Employee - Student Worker in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Good People, easy work schedule, not difficult work. Plenty of time to do homework. Full time staff does not always do a great job so you get to do theirs. This isnt a con because it gives you actual valuable experience in what real world is.

Cons

Pay, boring, constantly asked to support groups even when you are not interested in them. Everything is extremely political, its about who you know not what.

Felt like home...finally!

Current Employee - Community Faculty in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Metropolitan State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard working, engaged, interesting, diverse student body.

Cons

Limit on how much an adjunct can teach.

Graduate Assistant: Center For Online Learning

Former Employee - Graduate Assustant in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Graduate Assustant in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Metropolitan State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place with flexible hours. Provide lots of learning experience.

Cons

Micromanagement on everything. The director always to the simpliest things the grad Assist are working on at anytime.

Stop micromanagement as people dont like and decrease productivities

GREAT

Current Employee - Community Faculty in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Metropolitan State University part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Small somewhat isolated departments with almost no politics running independently. Support staff is good and seems to realize they are making a difference since they are the only thing holding the organization together. Highly flexible and able to bend the rules when reasonable (people tend to think instead of parrot policies.) Managed with less waste than I have ever seen, businesses included.

Cons

Too politically correct, especially for a University; more like a business - too risk adverse. The isolated groups never know what each is doing so collaboration is weak - not that it is needed. Faculty workshops are next to useless and that is why nobody goes to them. Often the theme of workshops is decades behind the times. The IT dept is about as bad as everywhere else - horribly underfunded and too many bad attitudes. The website is lousy. Faculty have to for pay parking in the school's ramp. Security cameras on campus to catch the criminals - students do not feel safe going to their cars and there is not enough security escorts to cover the number of people who WOULD ask for one if there wasn't a stigma and an attitude involved. They could use a job placement dept to help graduating students.

Fund IT dept and demand better service. Make workshops mandatory, smaller sized, more unconventional and remove the usually pointless keynotes; something that builds community like group activities. Staff will share ideas and experiences on their own; prompt a starting point for discussion and let them loose to play bingo or volleyball etc. Improve campus security. Clean up the list serve - we have enough email! Allow us to use our own email tools. Given that email is the only method of communication it should be given much more attention. Stop with all the no-surprise fire drills or at least do them during a break period if you have to rob me of that time every semester. I'd like to know why we are forced to be treated like children - fire drills at this age? How about a FAQ for staff so we can see why policies like this happen? I'm being critical but it appears to me the school runs itself so management should get some credit for this amazing organization working so well.