Metropolitan Transit System, San Diego

www.sdmts.com

Metropolitan Transit System, San Diego Reviews

Updated May 21, 2014
Metropolitan Transit System, San Diego – US – “mts main building”

Metropolitan Transit System, San Diego – US – “mts main building”

Paul Jablonski

Very rewarding experience here!

ProsI love the people I work with which includes almost all of the employees in some way. Co-workers are happy to be here and passionate about what they do. It's a friendly yet goal-oriented environment. I also love the mission and values of the company. We provide an important service to the community!

ConsBeing that we have two divisions, bus and trolley, and employees in all different locations, it's hard to be one cohesive group. Also since we run almost 24/7, the schedules for some positions can be difficult to get used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlternative/flexible work schedules for office jobs.

Your ambition is your only limit!!

ProsWork hard and smart and you will be promoted. Pay and benefits are excellent. Absolutely love contributing to the mission of providing public transit the masses. Most environmentally friendly company in SD -- CNG buses and electric trains.

ConsPoor performers are let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what you are doing. Recognized nationally as best run transit agency in US.

A Great Place to work with a Great Cause and Nice People

Administrative (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsMost of the people you meet at MTS, are the type of people you would like to get a cup of coffee with. Employees are very diverse culturally, socioeconomically, and educationally. It's fun to talk to different co-workers because most have unique backgrounds and stories. Public Transportation is something that people tend to grow into, thus most employees have very different beginnings....as to what lead them to Transportation. Across the board my co-workers make me want to come to work in the morning.

ConsWith all great causes....often there are not the financial resources for extravagant salaries. But the salaries are decent and the benefits are great!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does the best they can, considering they are dealing with financial constraints of being a public entity, with immense public oversight. For a public agency, MTS seeks to operate as closely to a private business as possible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Panel Interviews

ProsLongevity - many employees spend an entire career here. If you get in good, you stand to promote. Pretty good benefits package, not great salaries.

ConsNot much turnover, so positions aren't regularly available. HR rules the roost and has more influence than a lot of other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to practice walkaround management. There is a real disconnect between upper management and front line staff.

Great place to work for

Trolley Operator (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAlways challenging, you do the same same over and over but is always a challenge. If you want to make a carrier and are willing to work hard and be available at any time you will go far here

ConsIs hard when you start but if you pass the probation period you are good

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent opportunity for learning and growth. If you have an interest in the field you want to learn more about, there can be an opportunity to do so.

ConsI worked for a very difficult manager -went unchecked by administration for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople don't quit companies, they quit bad bosses.
    MTS lost some very bright people for not dealing with the "problem" sooner.

Not the greatest..

Coach Operator (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsNot a standing job, vacation paid, schedules for work improve over time.

ConsBad work schedules 1st few years,Unclean public, kids screaming, violence on occasions, Disrespect by Management, Union benefits steadily declining with each new contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some praise on those that work for you, real praise.

Great place to work, good people and great benefits plus you are helping the community and environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe people make it fun to go to work everyday. Benefits are great...generous time off, etc. Plus how many other companies offer a pension nowadays? It's a company that has an important place in the community and will be around for a long time.

ConsBeing that it's a public agency, the salaries are typically not as high as the public sector but benefits like the pension make up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO is Paul Jablonski not Jadlonski.

Good benefits, but environment does not foster teamwork

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsVery good benefit package. Many of the people are very nice to work with as individuals. HQ is located near the Gaslamp! Free trolley/bus passes.

ConsMany areas of the company are quite territorial and different departments work at cross-purposes. Change happens very slowly! Many archaic systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to low level employees for insight of how things actually work on a day-to-day basis. Have better oversight of different departments in terms of coordinating mission and enforce better inter-department cooperation.

Worked for Metropolitan Transit System, San Diego? Contribute to the Community!