Mettler-Toledo Autochem, Inc. Reviews

Olivier A. Filliol

1. Great experience at an innovative company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Mettler-Toledo Autochem, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great people. The company is a leader in it's industries with innovative products. I felt valued and the company invested a lot in making sure I had the equipment and the training to excel.

The work environment is laid back and informal, everyone is willing to pitch in and help you on a project. People are approachable and nice even when deadlines are tight.

The relationship with the parent company (Mettler Toledo) is mostly positive. In the marketing department they provide you with a lot of tools that make your job easier (CMS, CRM, Design Guidelines, Email System).

Cons

The senior and mid level management all have a background in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering. That means if you are in the Marketing department you will most likely be getting your orders from a Chemist who is not knowledgeable about Marketing. This also means that opportunities for advancement are very limited for people without a background in Chemistry.

AutoChem was formed by Mettler Toledo from a group of formerly independent companies. There is a fare amount of residual resentment around the formation and the continued attempts by the president to make them work more closely together. This mostly comes from the old guard leadership and the younger guys are much more cooperative.

Advice to Management

Recognize that Marketing is a discipline of it's own and that a PhD in Chemistry does not qualify you to do it.

I think the leadership is already taking steps to better integrate the former companies (knows as Business Units).

2. Not a great place to work

I worked at Mettler-Toledo Autochem, Inc.

Pros

Used to be a great place to work.

Cons

If you work hard you get more work. If you are lazy and talk a lot they won't expect much and you can take it easy

3. If you brown nose the right people you will go far.

I worked at Mettler-Toledo Autochem, Inc. full-time

Pros

Exceptional co-workers who'll work in a great team environment and cares about each other. Benefit are pretty much the standard with other companies. You'll get all your vacation on Jan 1. Don't have to earn them throughout the year.

Cons

Management with unrealistic goals compare with other companies metrics. They award people who needs to feel good as compare to giving it to one who deserve it.

Advice to Management

Better communication with employees. Better Training.

5. Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Mettler-Toledo Autochem, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment for learning. Family oriented and great benefits.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say.

6. Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Mettler-Toledo Autochem, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, smart and nice people

Cons

I can't think of a negative to post

7. My time at MT was very rewarding and helpful in my carreer.

Current Employee - Receiving Inspector in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Receiving Inspector in Redmond, WA

Pros

One of the best things about MT is the family feeling of a small organization (although MT is a worldwide company) MT-Autochem is just one division. The work hours are flexible and the once a month company lunches/events helps keep moral high in the work place.

Cons

The only drawback to MT is that because it is a large company, having the main office in MD makes it hard sometimes to get through the company red tape. Response times can be hampered by the time differences between divisions.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the people on the floor. Things that work in theory don't always work the same in practice.

8. This is the worst company I have ever worked for to date

I have been working at Mettler-Toledo Autochem, Inc. (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are truly lazy and just want a pay check this is the company for you.

Cons

To much butt kissing and no forward movement

Advice to Management

Get a real job

9. Good Benefits but no room for growth.

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Products are top notch and company is well respected in the industry.

Cons

If you like corporate culture, this is the place for you. Many "improvements" are just smoke and mirrors. Lot's of incompetent managers that don't know what they are doing. Structure is top heavy and micro-managers are abundant. No room for growth unless you have a very brown noise and is part of the inner circle.

Advice to Management

Review your decisions prior to hiring a manager that is just there to build up their "empire."

10. Could have been better, not horrible

Former Intern - Intern in Maryland (Colombia)
    Former Intern - Intern in Maryland (Colombia)

I worked at Mettler-Toledo Autochem, Inc. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Being hired and getting started was fast & there was never an issue with payroll, or any bureaucracy issues. Hours were average.

Cons

I never had a clear understanding as to what was expected of me. I was constantly asking for feedback, something to do, asking about how i can be better, etc. and my supervisor kept telling me i was doing okay. The last day, he complained about me without ever speaking to me first when i had no idea i was even doing something wrong. I understand that I may have been doing something that does not comply with the company culture, but i wish i had the opportunity to correct it and be a better intern. I finished my project so i assumed all was well. I did not appreciate the misunderstanding and miscommunication & found it deceitful.

Advice to Management

If someone is doing something wrong, or asking for feedback, please give give them feedback, and correct them if you see something you don't like. How can someone improve if you tell them the last day during a review all of the mistakes they were making? If the intern finished there project, isn't given any tasks when asked, and doesn't hear anything from you, we assume we are doing okay.

11. Used to be a great place to work, until it became Mettler.

I have been working at Mettler-Toledo Autochem, Inc.

Pros

Depends in what position you have and who you brown nose with. If you play the game, then you are rewarded. If you are knowledgeable but you are critical of management and very out spoken, then you should look else where.

Cons

Upper Management has no clue what is going on.

Advice to Management

Realized that you don't need to act like big brother and recognize your employees. Stop creating an atmosphere for "yes men," and suck ups.