Mettler-Toledo

Updated November 7, 2014
3.4

Mettler-Toledo CEO Olivier A. Filliol
Olivier A. Filliol

Stable company with international presence

Current Employee - Consultant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Consultant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Mettler-Toledo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable work environment, potential for international exposure

Cons

Limited growth opportunity, some office politics (as with majority of companies I'm sure..)

Overall, it was a diverse and knowledgable experience.

Current Employee - Intern in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mettler-Toledo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Easy going environment. Company takes care of you, not to much pressure, only expects 40 hours a week. A lot of activities to get involved as well. A lot of knowledgable employees.

Cons

Not the greatest training, kind of a do it yourself, figure it out attitude. Management talks a lot. A lot of overall side chat, its good to be the bigger man/women and stay away from this.

Better scheduled and documented training. Display a more professional environment, strictly business at the work place.

Hard work, marginal raises, disorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mettler-Toledo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Left alone to complete days work, lack of management and organization allowed me plenty of time to not work and get paid.

Cons

I wouldn't buy their stock. Hard to motivate so many disgruntled employees.

sell your stock

My Experience!

I worked at Mettler-Toledo

Pros

Access to good technology and working with fortune 500 companies

Cons

Some of the leadership team is not trust worthy as well as do not drive personnel to achieve great success in their role. There is lack of direction and professionalism at times as well as loosing site on the customer.

Showed me a lot about the structure of a business

Former Employee - Intern in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Columbus, OH

I worked at Mettler-Toledo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good group of people to work with, looks great on a resume, the people working here always try to help you thrive in the learning process, and the work was always thought provoking

Cons

The organization of the company could use some restructuring and there isn't a lot of room for job advancement simply because the plant isn't too large.

Contract Trainer - SAP Implementation

Former Employee - Contractor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Contractor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Mettler-Toledo as a contractor

Pros

I had a great experience working with Mettler Toledo as a contractor employee. The opportunity to help the organization implement SAP was a very rewarding and allowed me to fully utilize my experience in training and curriculum design.

Cons

The only con was that there was not a full time position for me to move into.

Poor Management, The people running the company have little or no experience.

I have been working at Mettler-Toledo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people that make up the company are all great, I've made many friends. They offer the average time off and vacation policy.

Cons

Management is the worst, all they care about is the bottom line. Sales takes in orders they know will be difficult to achieve margin on. The sales teams knows this so they submit any quote they can at the end of the month to ensure the sale is accepted to meet numbers. Management is on a witch hunt watching everything everybody does. This causes everyone to watch their back and finger point when something goes wrong. The quality of the product has slipped in the last few years, but management is more concerned with rearranging shop work flow, which they do about every 10 months and getting the system out the door. Turn over is high, 20+ employees in the last 2 years, but management calls this normal for the industry.

Your are losing your employee confidence change your tone or you will lose the company.

High Turnover, Low Sense of Worth

Former Employee - Service Back Office in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Service Back Office in Columbus, OH

I worked at Mettler-Toledo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location, reputable company, friendly coworkers, nice benefits package.

Cons

No potential for growth, old fashioned company culture, poor training. There is no plan for your own personal or career development. They expect you to work overtime every day, plus additional time on weekends.

Learn the jobs for which you are managing. Moral is greatly affected by team leaders' ability to understand the work of their direct reports. Develop and coach, own up to responsibilities. Wearing a suit and strutting around the office all day with your coffee mug is not all managers should be doing.

Mettler-Toledo should be used as a stepping stone to get a better career at another company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worthington, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worthington, OH

I have been working at Mettler-Toledo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro's about working here are the occasional left over food they leave in the cafeteria after a meeting.

Cons

The biggest challenge working here is that you have no idea who you can trust. The HR reps gossip and any secrets you don't want out will eventually be leaked. Employees stab one another in the back on a daily basis, there is hi turn over of temps because they use them for a year before calling them into the office and letting them know it'll be another 90 days before they'll get hired; then hand them an application. When someone get's offended because of something that was said, HR does a lousy job on interviewing the 'named' witnesses then writes up the accused because there was no evidence. No duh!! You didn't interview the witnesses!!!

Take a long hard look at how you're running things at the warehouse in Worthington. 80% of your employees are not happy with how things are being ran and with who you hire off the street when there are more than capable employees in the area that could do a better job. Hire your temps in a timely manner and don't hire the temps that don't work, always late and talk sports 90% of the day rather than doing their job. Oh, the extra money per month you say was so positive....make it worth our while when you haven't given a raise to your employees in three years; and it really ticks us off when you say "We can't give out raises this year regardless of your appreciated hard work but this facility made 13 million dollars profit."

This company is disorganized and detached from its self.

Current Employee - Industrial Field Service Scale Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mettler-Toledo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are great benefits and freedoms that other companies do not offer.

Cons

Field technicians have to carry the burden of the corporate office short comings. There is a huge amount of un-necessary stress put on people due to the fact that upper management will not take responsibility for mistakes and fix them correctly.

If the company could stream line their process and help the service technicians instead of overloading them with problems the back office cannot fix, the job would be great. Some one needs to put on their big boy pants and admit that they are wrong. This would be the first step to correcting the problems in the system.