Meyer Distributing

1 Rating

You have to work hard

Current Employee - Business Development Inside Sales  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Business Development Inside Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Meyer Distributing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Just like any job, you have to meet expectations. Meyer works through an expectation that you spend a certain amount of time on the phone, establishing interest and building relationships,which they try to do a good job of regulating. There are significant amounts of easily conveyable values that this company provides to its clientele. This is tough work. Your time and call quality is monitored and critiqued. Those who succeed in the entry level position are able to receive critical feedback and adapt. Just like with any company in the world, you have to be able to mold yourself into the company vision. Management does indeed accept critical feedback and does a great job of making its staff feel important.

Cons

Multiple divisions make accounts somewhat hard to navigate. Pricing can be a bit difficult to wrap your head around as it is set up separately due to the division of departments. Call requirements at times get in the way of an agent's need to invest in client needs. Although it is important to create and establish new business, it seems much opportunity is lost because reps are trying to meet call goals (to receive compensation) instead of servicing the long term needs of said new businesses.

Seek first to understand. Ask about potential, follow up, hold accountable. Invest more in first impressions if you are going to use culture as a selling point for new employees.

They constantly praise being a 'Family-Owned' company but they are anything but family-like

Former Employee - Business Development/Inside Sales  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Business Development/Inside Sales in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Meyer Distributing full-time

Pros

Decent pay out of college, you don’t have to stand all day like in retail, they will have some attainable contests throughout the year, a few good managers there will take the team out for occasional team dinners, decent on the job two week training where you learn every part of the company and its operations. Potential to earn good money if you know how to make managers happy which is the trick to being a success or failure there

Cons

Too many. Sister companies are Edgepark, Independence & Assuramed. Reviews for Edgepark matched my experience there. I wouldn’t say everyone is bad but there is a lot of ‘fake’ company culture going on. Not only every phone call you were required to ask ‘Hi, How are you?’ but it became the only conversation known by employees passing each other in the building. I felt like I was in a twilight zone where everyone was on autopilot robot. The job consists of making 100+ dials every day. You would sell medical products similar to DME without the contract/negotiation power that traditional DME/HMO providers have. The majority of your calls would come from a list given to you of over saturated accounts that were so familiar with the ‘Meyer’ name they would hang up after hearing it. The ones that weren’t duplicated by someone else in sales were ones you were responsible for looking up, researching & then cold calling. You are responsible for configuring cost vs. selling price & pricing out quote lists in between your calls. Time management is almost impossible. If you do not make 100 calls daily you get reprimanded. It will get totaled by avg. out of the number of working days in a month so if you had a lower call count day you screwed your entire month over.

They found every reason why you couldn’t make your commission & you had constant mgr meetings to review your monthly budget, performance etc. Half the time you didn’t even know what your monthly goal was until the month was almost over. You get reviewed on everything on how you worded your conversation to how many opportunities were missed regardless of a closed sale. While the job is manageable in sales expectations the call coaching is a non-stop nightmare. My mgr would constantly hop on my phone calls & listen while I was on them making it extremely uncomfortable. He then wrote down areas for improvement without acknowledging that I was bringing in sales. I have been in a call center environment before & have had healthy call coachings where both good & bad feedback was given. They take it to a completely different level. My entire team went to mgmt about how in a ‘family owned company’ where they preach the company value so much & voiced concern that quantity over quality was not the way to go & it was taking away from our job performance. The response? Make 100 calls or else. Main point we all got- you are simply a number there shutup & dial.

While the CEO put a lot of $ into a window surrounded open floor building with ‘free’ coffee, it turns out it is more of a childcare than a welcoming place to be. You will be placed in an all white desk space with a horrible ergonomic lacking chair to sit on for 8 hours, connected with at least 5-7 other desk ‘pods’ all connected to each other where if you are the lucky winner, you will get the honors of having your supervisor right next to you on the end. At 3 in the afternoon during your call bursts you would practically be screaming into your headset so your customer can hear you, since the concept of open walls means a lack of needed cubicle walls to drown all the noise out. If you forbid get up to go get coffee or have to use the bathroom frequently have fun with paranoid eyes gawking at you that you got up from your desk. There is no privacy at all in the building where the bathrooms have no sound barrier & the kitchen is the only place to take a personal phone call which is rarely unoccupied. I got wrote up for clocking in on the ADP system at 8:31 when my start time was 830. I then got told five months after I started that I was to be there by 815 every day or I was considered late for my manager to just use as an excuse once he decided I was on his out list. They will harass you if you clock back in from lunch 2 minutes late. While this isn’t new to some of the workforce, it is a bit extreme where they constantly feel the need to reprimand their employees like children. If you call off, you will also be told you are not concerned with your performance regardless of a sick child, flu or illness, or a much needed doctor’s appointment. My manager took personal attacks on me practically disallowing me to take any time off for anything at all even though you get two weeks of vacation. They give you time but you are essentially not supposed to use it. The main thing is if you think you can make 100+ calls a day without getting bored by it, then apply. They give you time to get used to it within a 3 month call expectation ramp up but it goes quickly and then the sparkle wears off. Many others have found that it got extremely old & there is no incentive for waking up and going to work the next day. Most last between 6 months to a year if they are lucky. Think long and hard if this is where you want to get your foot in the door for medical sales which is probably the only reason ½ the employees ended up there in the 1st place & 75% of the employees are actively looking for other opportunities. Enough said.

Wake up already - not very many people are happy there. Listen to your team and make the changes that will impact the success of your organization instead of just continously telling your employees in other words they are not important and nuts for feeling that way. Claim all you want the reviews on here are disgruntled employees but most will say the same about their experience as I have. This business could succeed with the right changes, but you have to be willing to make them.

Shady Company!

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Twinsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Twinsburg, OH

I worked at Meyer Distributing

Pros

They build a good resume.

Cons

Upper management is incompetent! They preach a "No Walls" atmosphere (meaning that they encourage feedback without any recourse) There are even posters on the walls throughout the building promoting it ... yet if you give opinions and ideas that do not coinicide with their vision you are told that you are negative and/or written up or terminated for not agreeing with their policies.
    This is a telemarketing position not a sales position that enforces a 100 call daily quota. If you do not meet your call expectations you are written up and you do not receive your bonus check... even if you hit your monthly goal. They continuously look for ways of taking money away from their employees.
    You will get ahead in the company as long as you know who to kiss up to. Kissing up is strongly encouraged. So essentially management tends to be ignorant, lack common sense and are not business savy because they lack the brain power to make their own decisions and come up with useful ideas.
    Your work performance is never appreciated or complimented rather you are constantly critqued and told what you are doing wrong.
    The word "cult" is commonly used to describe the environment. You are to say a vision before every meeting. It starts with "We are a family business driven by our values.." which is a complete contradiction of the company culture.
    I have interviewed for positions since I have left Meyer and have been asked why they receive so many resumes from former employees. They are well known in the recruiting industry as an employer with extremely high turn over.
    If you see a job posting for Meyer... Run! I promise that the place will suck the life right out of you.

No advice will make a difference since any advice you have been given in the past consitently falls on deaf ears.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Telemarketing, Yes. Sales, no.

I worked at Meyer Distributing full-time

Pros

Nice building, Keurig selection and gym

Cons

This is a telemarketing position, NOT a sales position. Basically smile and dial. Management is rah rah for the company culture..with emphasis on the CULT-- no one varies from the script. Ever.
    Skip this place if you value your sanity.

Worked for Meyer Distributing? Contribute to the Community!