Miami Dade Public Schools Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Miami Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho
Alberto M. Carvalho

Pros
  • The school system can be a great place to work, but it all depends on where you are put (in 3 reviews)

• great atmosphere, ability to help students (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • job can get overwhelming, little room for growth (in 4 reviews)

• You work for public industry for lower pay expecting job security and good benefits (in 4 reviews)

1. Part time ESOL teacher Adult Education

Current Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Hialeah, FL
    Current Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Hialeah, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools

Pros

Enjoy teaching ESOL to adults for Miami Dade Schools, very rewarding. The students are appreciative and we can see them progress.

Cons

Low salary that hasn't kept up with inflation. There are no benefits except the State of Florida Pension, no days off or health insurance. Also, recently they have been cutting classes. So, although I have seniority, my job is less secure now.

Advice to Management

At least give part-time teachers an hourly pay raise. It's been about eight years since we got a raise. We part-time Adult Education teachers contribute a lot to the community.

Very difficult job that only gets harder while your pay stays the same.

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Hialeah, FL
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Hialeah, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Satisfaction of helping kids. Plenty of time off.

Cons

I teach middle school math. Very difficult to teach kids who literally cannot do basic math (adding, subtracting, multiplying, division)... Who do not care. I have to deal with kids with major behavioral problems and complete lack of respect and discipline. No support from home. Often times very little support from administration and in many cases it seems like the administration is against you as well. Take my advice and do not consider becoming a public school teacher. And yes you get plenty of time off but you will be so burned out all the time that you will need the time off just to recover from your poor health.

Advice to Management

Treat teachers with the respect they deserve. Stop micromanaging them and wasting their time with pointless meeting that waste taxpayer's money and prevent teachers from getting real work done.

RSS Feed </> Embed