Miami Dade Public Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Miami Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho

Alberto M. Carvalho

Pros
  • Vacation time, medical, life insurance coverage(in 3 reviews)

• great atmosphere, ability to help students(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • NO funding, no support, no job security, only testing(in 4 reviews)

• As many companies are doing nowadays, they are creating part-time positions only(in 3 reviews)

Great People, Lousy Pay

Information Technology (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsYou feel like your efforts truly affect the lives of students

ConsExtremely poor compensation and benefits for similar jobs even in other government sectors. IT personnel in management level jobs earn less than entry level programmers in the private sector

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate staffing priorities and job classifications. Teachers are the most important resource in a school system. Support personnel matter too though

My teaching career has been geared toward the empowerment of elementary school children.

Teacher, Facilitator, Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI have a strong passion to educate young minds and help them blossom into well-rounded, responsible, and successful individuals. Throughout the course of my career, I have had wonderful opportunities to teach diverse groups of students, including those with learning disabilities, and those who performed at grade level. As a result, I have strong ability to individualize the curriculum to meet the needs of all levels of students in the same classroom.

ConsIt is public school at its best.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have serious goals, and work hard for them. I deliver good work, right, and on time. I am dependable always.

A lot of work for low pay and little appreciation from the district.

Teacher (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe students are wonderful. The staff is hard working and caring.

ConsToo much BS from the district. Testing the kids to death for no reason. Poor pay and a union without teeth. It's all about the district saving money at the expense of the kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget about all the BS programs that are bring purchased by the district. Corps are making big money and then the program are dumped. Allow teachers to teach and /o back to basics. No more graduates that can't read or do math.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was great when I worked there, the teachers and admin were wonderful. I fear its not the same anymore

ProsFirst it was very close to home, second the salary was great for a new teacher with no experience and lastly the staff and administration were lovely.

ConsThe area is not very nice and thats putting it mildly.

Just About Turned Me Off To Teaching As A Career Transition

Science Teacher (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsA few students identified as low performers but wanting to learn (and desperately) remind you of why this profession is a high calling. Oh, and there are still a few teachers who come to work and don't say this and that at all about the school and district administration, perhaps believing that keeping the bitterness and pain and complaints all inside or putting it out of mind is the best way to get along.

ConsUnfortunately, I don't have a basis for comparison, since M-DCPS was my first teaching job in a career transition. I was a temporary FTE teaching middle school science, given the task of trying to get low-performing-in-every-category 7th & 8th graders to be interested in the pathetic science curriculum established by the district and state. Classroom management was my downfall: I couldn't stop the classroom disruptors from making chaos of the classroom half the time, and I was often alone in a class of 30-35 since co-teachers in these "inclusion classes" were called to fill in for other classrooms. (Oh yeah, forget the class size written into the FL state constitution LOL.) After four months, the principal ran me off the property for what I believe were two causes (he was never really clear, and it was his neck on the line for hiring me): (1) I think the parents of the students who were disciplinary problems whom I singled out had enough pull with the district office to tell the principal to red card me and (2) I used the S-word ("stupid") in the classroom: students asked me why I was making science too hard and unlikable a subject, and I answered "I am not asking you to learn anything the district does not insist that you learn and whereas you tell me that your previous teachers were going easy on you, I don't want to believe that any of you are too stupid to have a program of learning that does not keep up with what the district believes you can learn." Oops! One of my co-teachers had told me that I was working too hard for these students and that I should just give them some kind of pablum that kept the least common denominator content and to ignore the district pacing. She said I should do it to keep my job. I should have taken her advice. She keeps her job and I was run off. The lesson learned was not by the students, but me.

Other cons I noticed that were rampant was the nepotism and favoritism: I had one Cuban principal confess that they usually only hire Cubans, and that my not speaking Spanish was certainly of no help or value to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor what it's worth: when I was going through all the procedural hurdles and expenses for this job, I struck up a conversation with a woman in the elevator. I had asked her if she was a teacher, and told her that I was transitioning to teaching after decades in research and teaching at the adult level. She proudly said she was an art teacher for 45 years, and that she was about to have the happiest day of her life: retiring from M-DCPS. She said she had taught at other districts, but that M-DCPS was the worst.

ok

Teacher (Current Employee) Miami, FL

Prosflexibility, work-life balance, ability to be creative and flex your brain

Consjob can get overwhelming, little room for growth

Advice to Senior Managementno more test standards

Great place to grow professionally.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat hours and time off for holidays.

ConsTeacher frustration is high and enthusiam is low due to budget cuts affecting teacher salary increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementPotential new hires for teaching positions are not motivated to work for Miami Dade due to low job security.

Depends on your school

Teacher (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat work hours, and time off. decent pay and you can get extra supplements on top of your salary

ConsAll depends on your school. Middle school has the worst hours. 8-4pm compared to high and elementary 7;20 2:20pm. Also generally your can earn more money at highschool as compared to middle and elem. If you get stuck at a school full of bad kids your in trouble. Ive worked at both. When at a school full of eager to learn good kids its like heaven. When your at a bad school its like torture. Also you can get sent to another school at anytime. I was at a highschool for 3.5 years and got surplussed to a alternative school in the middle of the year. I went from Heaven to Hell. Im also teaching a subject Im not familiar with.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sending teachers to schools they do not apply for.

Testing is not teaching

ProsThe hours and benefits are good

ConsNO funding, no support, no job security, only testing.

overall good experience. Principal was great!

ProsMaking a difference in lives of students

ConsTied to school and wanted different interactions

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Miami Dade Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!