Miami Dade Public Schools

80 reviews filtered by
3.1
Miami Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho
Alberto M. Carvalho

Pros
  • Vacation time, medical, life insurance coverage (in 3 reviews)

• The school system can be a great place to work, but it all depends on where you are put (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not too much room for growth (in 4 reviews)

• You work for public industry for lower pay expecting job security and good benefits (in 4 reviews)

1. instructor

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools part-time

Pros

It is very rewarding to see the student complete the program.

Cons

It is a part time position which I love,

2. It was a very rewarding experiece...I'm a Special educator, and I love my kids.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher

I worked at Miami Dade Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good friends, good hours...summer off....I just love it.

Cons

Some of the challenges were dealing with some challenge kids.

3. An excellent place to work

Current Employee - Social Studies Teacher in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Social Studies Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional development is the best.

Cons

Too many kids in a class.

Advice to Management

Reduce class size

5. School support

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools

Pros

Depending on your administrative team, everything is great.

Cons

Income could be better for what comes with the job.

6. Part time ESOL teacher Adult Education

Current Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Hialeah, FL
    Current Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Hialeah, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools

Pros

Enjoy teaching ESOL to adults for Miami Dade Schools, very rewarding. The students are appreciative and we can see them progress.

Cons

Low salary that hasn't kept up with inflation. There are no benefits except the State of Florida Pension, no days off or health insurance. Also, recently they have been cutting classes. So, although I have seniority, my job is less secure now.

Advice to Management

At least give part-time teachers an hourly pay raise. It's been about eight years since we got a raise. We part-time Adult Education teachers contribute a lot to the community.

7. Miami-Dade County Public Schools

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have health benefits and able to bring kids to work, sometimes. Short term and long term disability available to purchase. Life and AD&D made available. Some tuition reimbursement for only select employees.

Cons

Health Insurance is very high, no free or discounted education for children (preschool, summer, or after care) for school district employees, Low salaries, no raises, not encouraged to move up in your career, not family friendly when it comes to kids school schedule and work schedule, extreme work hours and no overtime or compensation time. When a position in the department is vacated, there is no cross training and the department employee(s) have to pick-up the slack, without a replacement or salary increase. Not everyone gets the opportunity to rewarded with tuition reimbursement for their education.

Advice to Management

Use the money from the salary of the position that vacates, to pay for the new hire. Use grants and scholarships to reimburse your employees for furthering their education. Reward your employees for their loyalty and dedication by giving them raises. Encouraging cross training so that no one person is left holding the bag when someone leaves, without knowledge. When someone takes over and is left doing two jobs, give them a new, higher salary worth their new role, not just a raise. Encourage district administrators who have a heart to teach and the knowledge and experience, to do just that. Currently they are punished in that they lose salary when they become teachers, almost half. (They still have a family to take care of, and we need more good teachers.) But if a teacher becomes an administrator they are almost doubled their salary. Teachers work a lot harder than most administrators, and should be rewarded as such, salary wise. Also, make it so that if a teacher or an administrator is found to be harassing or make an environment hostile for others, they be removed, no matter who it is. I know that people are afraid for their jobs, or afraid that their child will receive more hostility in school, so they continue to receive this improper behavior. Make it so that people can submit information, without getting repercussions, and that the department submitted to will actually investigate, and not be afraid to investigate to get to the truth. Make principals more accountable as to how the money is spent at the schools, so that the teachers are not left paying for supplies in the classroom from their meager salaries, to be able to provide for a basic education. Increase security at the schools. They have been drastically reduced. Make sure all schools, every part of the school is walked by top officials of the school system. This would cause the whole school building(s) to be repaired, not just the parts that are known to be always walked through. In this way the quality air can be bettered (remove all mold and causes there of) and the computers updated for teachers and students alike, in all parts of the county, low end and high end.

8. not bad

Current Employee - Computer Operator in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Computer Operator in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools

Pros

ok. so far no problems

Cons

none at all. you get what you applied for

9. Worked as a Substitute Teacher for Pre-k to 2nd grade for about 5 years.

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Homestead, FL
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Homestead, FL

I worked at Miami Dade Public Schools

Pros

Learning environment, focusing on children's aptitudes and learning.

Cons

Only work when they need someone, so it's not a steady income throughout the year.

10. I had two bosses. I had to report to my Principal and the Head of the Pre-K SPED office.

I worked at Miami Dade Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in a PLC building with only Pre-K and Kindergarten students.The teachers were great and we helped each other out. We were family.

Cons

Raises were not given yearly. Each year we had more paper work to do. We went from an A school to a D school in a very short period of time.

11. It was the best of times, it was the work of times.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools

Pros

I got my CDL, quick employment, easy money, the Children aren't that bad, summers and holidays and teachers work days are spent off

Cons

They are bias, favoritism, crazy hours (when you get up it's dark and when you go home it will be dark), GHETTO- most of the 40+ driver think that they are still 14 and they are just that childish, The children and their parents will challenge you just as your coworkers and administrators will, working conditions, roaches, that easy money that I was speaking of isn't enough to support you- let alone a family, dead end,
    You work two to three hours in the morning generally
    Then you are off (not getting paid) unless you have a midday to pick up children or drop off children or you have a field trip but generally, you are off and unpaid for down time
    Then you are off for four hours to five hours
    Then you sign in again to get paid for the afternoon which is about roughly 3-4.5 hours
    The buses break down and there ISNT any A/C after the first week of school. The mechanics have certifications to fix the a/c but they outsource to a company that goes to all compounds and fixes very few busses. There is so much that can be done that isn't.
    It is depressing. IF YOU LIKE LIVING PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK, then apply. Most drivers have 2-3 jobs.... I know of several drivers who died on their bus... The job is too stressful.

Advice to Management

Starting with the superintendent: get your crap together and support the drivers!!! They are the first people to see children in the AM and the last to see them when they go home. Drivers are your first line of defense and technically they detect things before it happens with children, but remember: they have to drive, listen to the radio for dispatch calls/announcements, tend to children and the road an their mirrors; They need recognition and a raise... NO raise in 12 years is not something that you would accept and why should they?