Miami

Updated September 25, 2014
2.5

CEO

It was positive overall.

I have been working at Miami full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay rate in municipal government is better than state. Lots of employees will retire soon creating advancement opportunities.

Cons

The morale is on the ground due to the lay offs incurred by the crash of the economy in 2009. There are a lot of overpaid secretary/reception types who are lazy and do not work and stay that way because the unions protect them. This is not productive and can be frustrating.

Find those with institutional knowledge and ask, listen and learn. (if there are any left)

terrible job

I worked at Miami part-time

Pros

I got to see a lot of miami

Cons

i got to see a lot of miami

Poorly Managed and short-sighted.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Miami full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vast majority of employees are fantastic. Definitely do not fit the "public employee" reputation. Beautiful office location and nice building.

Cons

Administration is too politically influenced, to the point of dysfunction.

Find someone who understands business processes to run the business. Keep the politicians out of the business.

Nice experience, warm people, nice weather.

Current Employee - Visitor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Visitor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

peoples' warmness is amazing, security and atmosphere.

Cons

everything is far :(

Doing time...

I have been working at Miami

Pros

Good hard working people, good work environment. Decent pension. You can get paid a decent salary but will need to put in many years.

Cons

System in place gives no rewards, raises, and low starting pay. Place literally is who you know to move up. Incompetent management starting from the top. No training Of employees in order to get promoted

Start taking care of your employees in order to increase morale and get better productivity.

Mediocre place to work, no management, very low salaries

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Miami full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule, great balance work/life, that's about it!

Cons

Very low salaries compare with other similar places, benefits used to be good not anymore, average benefits, no management at all, there's a culture of favoritism and preference among managers and some employees, if you are lucky to be one of the manager's favorite, then you will get all the perks, if not you will be miserable, no opportunity for grow, no promotions in years, lack of incentives.

What management?

Not Good!!

I have been working at Miami full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, bank holidays, that's it!

Cons

They are hiring temps through staffing agencies and are in no hurry to open new permanent positions where one can actually obtain benefits! Rude assistant directors that appear to have power complexes. Their motto is "I don't care who does it, as long as it gets done!" There are employees that do not pull their own weight, leaving others to pick up their slack. Upper management never notices. This causes resentment and stress between co-workers. Upper management refuses to listen to an employee when they are trying to share their distress with them. There is no "open door policy." They simply do not care.

Open actual permanent positions, listen to your staff when they make suggestions, show empathetic qualities when an employee is sharing their grievances.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Miami full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Excellent benefits and atmosphere. The City of Miami is great about training and cross training its employees to be able to assist in different departments.

Cons

Politics can sometimes create an upheaval in the structure in which we do business. Transitions in power can be better.

This is not a place to look for a career, I am here for the benefits.

Current Employee - Personnel Officer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Personnel Officer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami

Pros

good medical plan, holidays, vacation, work-life balance

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. Many positions filled by those who are politically connected even though we are under a hiring freeze.

There should be more employee training and easier pathways to promotion.

Work here for low stress and adequate pay then leave.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami

Pros

The people are great to work with. There is never a problem when I need to take off. Pension, health insurance, bank holidays. Steady paycheck. I have a great boss but his boss, the department director, is horrible. After hours parties, free cultural events with lots of food. Diverse staff. Great place to work if you enjoy doing what you are told to do and do not think about anything else to contribute. Low stress. Diverse assignments. Good place to work if you are interested in a future in local politics (You will learn who to avoid and who will help you). Hard to get fired.

Cons

This is not a place to work if you are very ambitious. Lots of beuracracy (it's government). Organization is slow to change. Possibilities for promotion are slim, specifically for me. Cubicles, drab carpeting and paint unless you work in a specific department which have been updated. Constant interruptions. Many times instead of a promotion a person will need to apply for the position and may not get the promotion because a better applicant will apply from outside the organization. Work is not stimulating. Miami-Dade County offers better benefits and are located a few blocks away.

Recognize individuals who want to make the City a better place. Incentivize idea generation that brings the organization into the 21st century.