Miami University

Miami University Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Miami University President David C. Hodge

David C. Hodge

Pros:
  • "Miami offers terrific work/life balance on a beautiful campus"
    in 4 reviews
  • "good pay and flexible work time"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Career fair has very few choices (sometimes only 1 or 2) for international graduate students in Engineering, Science & Technology streams"
    in 3 reviews
  • "small town and can often be boring, but this comes with many pluses as well"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Public Ivy, comes with a reputation.

Student Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Miami University part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCulture of people who want to succeed, flexible hours, great benefits, and pretty good pay.

ConsMuch bureaucracy in management that gets annoying after a while and Oxford being a small town.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop the bureaucratic BS and just be normal.

Supportive environment with a clear vision for marketing and communications.

Communications Coordinator (Current Employee)
Oxford, OH

I have been working at Miami University full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, some of the best healthcare in the country.

ConsCommunications staff are often overloaded and hard to reach and get helpful feedback from.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage the loan-ranger communicators on campus in a more practical and mentoring-type of way. Pairing with mentors or having a Q&A session regularly.

Cool environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Oxford, OH

I have been working at Miami University for more than a year

ProsAmazing campus and excellent services

ConsLow salaries and very expensive services

Advice to Senior Managementmake Miami more diverse environment

Great People. Good University. Not an accessible town

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Oxford, OH

I have been working at Miami University part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat bunch of people and you can get a good experience and exposure. Most of the departments give assistantship/funding/aid to students (especially Graduate students). Coursework is not very strenuous, yet get to learn a lot.
Great working environment, as everyone is helpful and social.

ConsThe place is little cut-off from other cities. Buses go to other towns and cities, but timings and locations are not really convenient. The town looks deserted during summer and winter vacations. The local (intra-oxford) bus service used to be good till 2013, but this year it has been very poor.
Career fair has very few choices (sometimes only 1 or 2) for international graduate students in Engineering, Science & Technology streams.

Advice to Senior Management1. More publicity, as people need to be aware of Miami (and should know that it's not in Florida)
2. Better transportation

Was well valued as an employee, while not paid the best.

I have been working at Miami University part-time

ProsThe pros of working at Miami University include the benefits and the myriads of opportunities for growth and improvement. The people you work with constantly also would be considered a positive enhancement to the environment.

ConsSome downsides include the small size of Oxford, the town that houses Miami University. While quaint, occasionally you have to get out of the bubble.

Learning a lot and working hard

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Oxford, OH

I have been working at Miami University part-time for less than a year

ProsThe professors and students are friendly and down to earth. The town is small but has everything you need. Great environment to learn and study in.

ConsLike most graduate students who hold also work as a research assistant, there is not much time for other hobbies. You have to be very passionate about the subject you're studying and be willing to give up everything else in order to get through

Long time employee, MU graduate

I have been working at Miami University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSmart motivated hard working faculty, pleasant working environment, good work-life balance. Good overall reputation and long outstanding history for the institution. Despite cutbacks in budgets, outstanding overall benefits.

ConsAs in most higher-ed environments, budgetary concerns can be onerous and sometimes feel like the only factor driving decisions. All faculty and staff understand budget is important and I sincerely believe people do not purposely waste money and valuable resources, but are sometimes made to feel like they do by higher administration. When money becomes the sole focus of decisions, many bad decisions result and negatively impact the true mission of educating students.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to always look for ways to engage employees on the "front lines". Staff and faculty are the ones who see and experience budget cuts directly. The institution is large enough that administration can be insulated from what happens day to day.

the most mismanaged university ever

I have been working at Miami University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEasy to get into 'golden handcuffs,' since tuition is waived for you and your dependents after 3 years.

ConsOxford is blinded by elitism and arrogance. It is a marriage broker pool for rich kids to meet other rich kids. The only middle income kids are the children of Miami employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourself. Stop beating up and disparaging your own regional campuses and students. OSU and UC are waaaay more inclusive...and by the way, they are eating your lunch.

Not bad

I have been working at Miami University

Prossmall size of class size

Consnot much research focus on teaching

Rapid Prototyping Laboratory Head Manager

Rapid Prototyping Laboratory Manager (Former Employee)
Oxford, OH

I worked at Miami University part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work environment and amazing boss. As an Engineer at Miami, I loved the machinese in the Engineering Building. They were a part of my success, and let's face it, they're like big (albeit dangerous) toys for adults. To this extent, the Rapid Prototyping Lab had the best machines in the building. 3D Printer and Scanner, Automated Micro-Mill, Laser Cutter, etc. However, while these machines aren't meant to be played with, I couldn't help but enjoy helping other people complete their projects with them, but I guess that's called being passionate about your job? Anyway, most of the time the lab is quiet because people don't always need something to be laser cut or printed in 3D, so it was great to do homework while working. Perfect use of my time and I was more than happy to do it.

ConsThis job does require technical skills and it is on the school's salary, so don't expect to be paid as much. That kinda becomes balanced when you look at the time you have to complete homework and other responsibilities in the lab though, so it's not a big deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! If I was still at Miami, that'd be the one place I'd want to work!

Worked for Miami University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Miami University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Miami University CEO David C. Hodge. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by Miami University employees.