Miami Valley Hospital

Mark Shaker

1. MVH

Current Employee - Staff RN in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Miami Valley Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hospital, great co-workers, great benefits

Cons

Long hours, nothing else to say

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. Mental Health Counselor

Former Employee - Chaplain in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Chaplain in Chicago, IL

I worked at Miami Valley Hospital (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well trained staff very friendly

Cons

Poor supervision that treated staff badly

Advice to Management

HR needs to have their empoyees back

3. Decent benefits

I worked at Miami Valley Hospital full-time

Pros

Working at the best trauma center

Cons

Low profile employees are under-paid

5. RN

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

Pros

Worked with some great people. Hard work, but everyone worked together. Great pay, loved the 12 hr shifts, management treated me fairly.

Cons

Some inappropriate admissions, short staffed frequently.

Advice to Management

Find a way to retain employees.

6. Not employee friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Miami Valley Hospital (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Trauma care and Neuro/Critical Care physicians and staff. Benefits offered

Cons

Benefits are not great, not able to choose own physician have to choose from their network physicians. Management does not push employee morale; employees get no incentives or bonuses. Management does not listen to concerns of employees or visitors.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees; bring back employee incentives. Boost employees not just management; hire competent managers/directors.

7. Not an employee centered company!

Former Employee - Central Transport in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Central Transport in Dayton, OH

I worked at Miami Valley Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great at providing low paying jobs in central transport, housekeeping, and sterile processing. Super great for those directors and above who do very little, know even less, schmooze a lot, and have fabulous perks. They are a sorrowful bunch to say the least.

Cons

HR and Benefits organization are probably the most inept I have ever had the experience of dealing with. Learned a lesson when left the company a few months ago. Had a little vacation time accrued when I left company. When I did not receive a vacation(TOP) payout, inquired with payroll. Well, payroll sent me to a benefit analyst who knew nothing and then sent me to her benefits manager--who wasn't available(just imagine that). When i finally contacted the manager she was curt, rude, and terse over the phone saying that all my remaining vacation acrrual had been used to pay for my benefit elections till the end of the month. When I explained to this person that my manager waited over a month to put in the termination paperwork she continued with excuses. Anyhow, the lesson for anyone reading this---use all your vacation time prior to your termination date. I could go on and on about what I saw and heard during my tenure at MVH but I'll leave that for a short story later.

Advice to Management

Walking around providing cookies, fruit, and other assorted oddities to employees to improve your dismal employee satisfaction scores does not work. All of us had a good laugh when we say managers pushing their cart of treats around the hospital floors allowing employees to choose something. Any mediocre HR person or manager would realize immediately that this ploy doesn't motivate employees to do better but management a MVH is a cut below that. LOL.

8. MVH PAS review

Pros

culture and work environment clean facility most people are friendly

Cons

Insurance benefits aren't that great

Advice to Management

be more willing to push for employee growth

9. Patient Centered Care

I have been working at Miami Valley Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The patient experience is the center of Premier Health/Miami Valley Hospital. Numerous national awards are acquired which makes Miami Valley Hospital a true leader in healthcare.

Cons

The goal is to be a mid market company. Average pay, average benefits.

Advice to Management

As a leader I can only refer to director and above...be cautious not to miss your diamonds in the rough!

RN

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Miami Valley Hospital part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MVH has a lot of great people working there. There are many in house opportunities to obtain contact hours for your license renewal.

Cons

Top heavy management that are not visible to the workers because they spend all day in meetings. Staff frequently have to float to different units, sometimes every 4 hours so you could have up to 15-18 patients in one 12 hour shift.

Advice to Management

Management should stop giving themselves raises and bonuses if there is not enough money in the budget to give the staff a free holiday dinner. MVH should invest more money in their employees instead of giving themselves bonuses.

11. Great place to work for women.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Miami Valley Hospital part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of leadership positions are held by women. The CEO, CFO and COO were all women while I worked there. Women are encouraged to be competitive and are rewarded on par with men - which is not true of every organization. Culture is positive, supportive, professional and friendly - a great combination. Great training environment. Teamwork is emphasized and coworkers are encouraged to support one another - not just in word, but deed also.

Cons

Pay is either at market rate or below. I had requested a raise while I was there to match the market rate for my level of education and experience in my position and provided them with lots of research to back it up, in addition to a stellar performance review and was declined.

RSS Feed </> Embed