Michael Baker International Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Good

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Great management and a great workplace environment

Cons

There are none. It was wonderful

Advice to Management

No advice to management

company review

I worked at Michael Baker International

Pros

- Large company with about 5000 employees - Stable company who wins lot of Defense, Federal and State Infrastructure projects - FEMA is a big client

Cons

- Too hierarchical - Slow moving and fixed on certain things - resistant to change - Private Equity Owned - Low pay.

Advice to Management

- Shake things up - More receptacle to change - Get out of PE model of thinking and think about employees - Retain employees with better salaries.

Was outstanding company for years, not so much since Equity took over.

Former Employee - IT Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Michael Baker International

Pros

Flexibility, always challenging environment. Great people to work with.

Cons

Lot of time, raises don't seem to happen anymore

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees, you are a professional services firm that is all you have.

Sad to see a great company decline.

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly and committed staff (those that remain). But hard to sell services when there are few people (services) left to sell.

Cons

Constant changes in the company (first by purchasing smaller firms then going from public to privately owned (but not employee owned)) have chased away the best employees. Absentee management contributed to staff evacuation. Have gone from a prime to begging to be a sub. Although they say employees are most important asset, they are not replacing lost people - rather making supervisors justify replacing anyone who leaves (even if they were 100% billable the day before). General decline in morale and worry for work, since new wins are now slim.

Advice to Management

Invest in core services, replace staff (acknowledge our people are what we sell), don't allow reputation to decline, bring in strong managers, pay attention/repair reputation, stop accepting being a sub when we used to be primes/leaders.

Average company to work for

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Moon Township, PA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Moon Township, PA

Pros

The company as a whole has a pretty good work/life balance. Multiple people work reduced hours per week. Large amounts of overtime are seldom required. A few hours here and there are probably typical, with a majority of the employees rarely working overtime. I would recommend this company to a friend if they wanted a 40 hour/week job with a good work/life balance.

Cons

The company as a whole seems to pay below average salaries unless you come from another company. Many operational managers do a poor job managing staff. There is very little upward mobility, with some groups having more managers than staff. I would not recommend this company to a friend if they wanted to advance their career and move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring above employees and promote within. Appreciate employees and pay them the industry standard.

7. I truly enjoy working at Michael Baker. My bosses and coworkers are great and the projects are very interesting.

I have been working at Michael Baker International

Pros

Flexibility, diversity of projects, employees

Cons

Pay rate seems to be a bit lower than the average

8. Some promotional opportunities, but no focus on career development or lateral movements

Former Employee - Civil Associate I
    Former Employee - Civil Associate I

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Possible flex scheduling to take advantage of good ski days.

Cons

Male dominated culture. No opportunity for lateral movement to pursue career interests.

9. Busy but friendly atmosphere

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Hamilton, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Hamilton, NJ

I worked at Michael Baker International

Pros

It was a really great learning experience. I was able to communicate with multiple departments within the Hamilton branch, and received feedback from employees of various ranks. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, and I was able to take on different tasks that allowed me to gain the marketing skills I was previously lacking.

Cons

In the beginning, I wasn't given many tasks and became bored with how simple my tasks were, but I was given more responsibilities as my internship progressed. When Proposals were being prepared, the office became pretty busy, and everything had to be approved by multiple people, which made the process pretty hectic with all the constant revisions.

10. A Good Company

I have been working at Michael Baker International

Pros

Works hard to provide competitive salaries for the DC area. Makes every effort to perform salary equity analyses across the organization. Promotes from within whenever possible

Cons

Hours can be demanding due to project deadlines and deadlines can be unreasonable. Its not unusual to cancel time off or work during scheduled time off. This is not a continuous problem, but it happens more than it should.

Advice to Management

Better project planning processes and a greater respect for the importance of team down-time to the overall health and productivity of project team would be beneficial.

11. Director

I have been working at Michael Baker International

Pros

New leadership is growth oriented

Cons

the same as other firms

RSS Feed </> Embed