Michael Baker

Updated October 14, 2014
2.9

Michael Baker CEO Kurt Bergman
Kurt Bergman

Great people overall but major disconnect between corporate and branches

I have been working at Michael Baker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really loved working with the people. Very challenging projects, flexible schedules and telecommute options.

Cons

Corporate is very disconnected from the other offices and control your ability (or rather inability) to ever be promoted. If you don't work in Pittsburgh forget them ever even noticing you and your hard work. Instead they try to bring the quality down to mediocre levels with all the asinine processes and procedures, which seem to only have value in nitpicking your paperwork skills instead if helping you do your job better.

Work on creating processes that actually work for your people to help them do their jobs better and less paperwork for paperwork sake.

There are a lot of fires that need putting out. If you can find a job elsewhere, take it.

Former Employee - Environmental Associate I in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Environmental Associate I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Michael Baker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It probably depends on your office. Within the office I worked in, plenty of interesting work and good people. A very laid back work environment where you can come and go as you please as long as the work gets done. Decent benefits, good 401k match.

Cons

I was only at Baker for a little over a year, but I can confidently say that the executive management is a joke. For example, after giving an average raise of 1.6%, they had the nerve to send out a company wide email indicating that they had just leased the top two floors of a skyscraper in downtown Pittsburgh for the executive management. Talk about a big 'screw you' to every employee. Over the past year, people have been leaving in droves and morale is at rock bottom. There is a 'town hall' meeting coming up in November where the executive management is going to attempt to explain what the hell happened in addition to rolling out their new policies. I'm sure the meeting will be nothing short of a dumpster fire.

Make your salaries more competitive.
    More transparency.

Worried about their future

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Michael Baker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good 401k and benefits program. Good vacation policy. I had 4 weeks vacation when I left the firm. I enjoyed working with the people in the office.

Cons

Morale was low and continued to drop. In the past three years, our office staff dropped by approximately 50% since Michael Baker acquired the former company, The LPA GROUP. People would either leave for another job or were downsized or their position was eliminated. People went out the door, but very few if any came in the door to replace them. A vast majority of senior leadership in the Southeastern offices have left, leaving junior people to fill the positions. The result is a serious experience and leadership vacuum. Corporate leadership also seems lacking and unstable. There were constant policy changes and leadership changes in the three years that caused more uncertainty than they did reassure the employees. The raises were basically a joke the last couple of years, with a 1.7% raise in 2014. I would not recommend as a place for a long-term job.

Focus should be on keeping the clients happy and improving morale and motivation of current employees. The uncertainty with Baker's future is damaging the current staff's ability to go out and market effectively. The workers are the top asset at Baker and they should be made to feel that way. A solid vision and plan are needed to give some solidarity and confidence to both clients and employees.

Mixed Feelings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Michael Baker full-time

Pros

Pay is ok other than that I can't recall any more pros. Michael baker is a good place to start off your career depending on your attitude towards management.

Cons

managers are abusive in their tone with you also you ARE hardly ever recognized for your hard work even if your manager is CC'ed on accolades from different PM's within the company. I would say if you not Friends or family of any of the management team it would be hard to stay afloat there. Team wise co-workers are great just watch for certain managers.

Please stop giving Managers so much power with no one to answer for unethical behavior because it just drives away great employees.

Associate

Former Employee - Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Michael Baker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexible hours, Great Co-worker and a few fun jobs

Cons

Management really dropped the ball with the transition when the company got bought out. Office morale is down after down.

Keep your employees up to date with company transition and feature

Short Title

I have been working at Michael Baker full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible working time and mutilple benefits.

Cons

Personal growth may be low, and not so many training opportunities.

Michael Baker International

Current Employee - Civil Designer I in Moon Township, PA
    Current Employee - Civil Designer I in Moon Township, PA

I have been working at Michael Baker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Suburban Location, Competitive Compensation, received regular annual raise every year since beginning employment

Cons

No longer a publicly traded company employees can no longer purchase company stock,

With Baker, it's important to be self-motivated

Former Employee - Civil Associate I
    Former Employee - Civil Associate I

I worked at Michael Baker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was afforded the opportunity to learn about the Roadway industry and estimating. Working with a dedicated design team was helpful with completing daily tasks.

Cons

The guidance for an Engineer-In-Training was fairly lacking. I felt like I was expected to keep up with engineers and drafters at least 7 years my senior.

Implement a stronger training program. There should be a stronger training program with monthly meetings that involve all associates instead of Senior Management alone.

Not what it used to be

I worked at Michael Baker

Pros

I was able to do many different things early on in my career.

Cons

It has become very political, you are advanced based on who you know and not your skills. They do not value female employees. The new management and owners have no loyalty. Some very good people were let go that had been there 20 plus years. The remaining talent is leaving on their own. They are not family oriented. They provide little training or prof development. Morale is very low.

Value your employees.

Major disappointment

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Michael Baker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Close to home, easy commute.

Cons

No bonus program and poor outlook for salary increases.