Michael Baker

Updated December 16, 2014
2.8

Michael Baker CEO Kurt Bergman
Kurt Bergman

Pros
  • flexible work environment and good people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and a lot of work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • too much controlled by the upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A Good Company

I have been working at Michael Baker

Pros

Works hard to provide competitive salaries for the DC area. Makes every effort to perform salary equity analyses across the organization. Promotes from within whenever possible

Cons

Hours can be demanding due to project deadlines and deadlines can be unreasonable. Its not unusual to cancel time off or work during scheduled time off. This is not a continuous problem, but it happens more than it should.

Better project planning processes and a greater respect for the importance of team down-time to the overall health and productivity of project team would be beneficial.

A shadow of it's former self

I worked at Michael Baker

Pros

The best people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Long hours, staff getting burnt out.

Director

I have been working at Michael Baker

Pros

New leadership is growth oriented

Cons

the same as other firms

michael baker does all kind of work, if you have Clearance tehre is plenty opp

I worked at Michael Baker

Pros

Good pay, decent environment if you are in right team

Cons

too much controlled by the upper management

RBF - Started working here 4 months before I graduated from college. Have been here for more than 4 years today

Current Employee - Civil Associate II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Associate II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Michael Baker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing very positive really. Pay is OK, not the best. Some of the people who work here are very cool and nice people.

Cons

Everything else. Overworked and underpaid staff. Corporate talks a lot, but with no follow thru. Benefits and vacation are awful. Lot of stuck up, arrogant managers and uppers. Uppers talk down on staff constantly. All they care about is bottom line dollar amount. If I was a college student looking for a career, I wouldn't listen to all the nonsense PR that HR from the RBF office in Irvine is telling you. They play that card well. RBF likes to hires desperate college students upon graduation; students who have no idea about what working for a big corporation is like. They hear "RBF" and they think it's the "end-all, be-all" of all civil engineering firms. Gets worse and worse every year. They say you are going to get a "performance-based" raise, but they slap everybody in the face with a 1% raise or less, which also took them 6 months after the employee review to compensate. If you can imagine all those annoying students you went to college with that nobody liked and were the always brown-nosing..... Those are the types of uppers and management at RBF.

Become better human being before you can become better at managing people

Great Company

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Michael Baker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lived up to everything that they said they were. I have yet to see that they say one thing and do another.

Cons

It was a difficult first few years, after that it was much better and they were there to help me during those years but it was still difficult

People are still leaving and not being replaced

Current Employee - Technical Specialist III in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist III in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Michael Baker full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are what keeps you here.

Cons

The more good people leave, the more you want to leave with them. Baker is not the same place it used to be. It was a joy to come into work every day and now office morale is at an all time low and things don't look good for the future.

If you want to keep good people then you need to give them more than a 1% raise and you need to make employees feel valued for the work they do.

There are a lot of fires that need putting out. If you can find a job elsewhere, take it.

Former Employee - Environmental Associate I in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Environmental Associate I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Michael Baker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It probably depends on your office. Within the office I worked in, plenty of interesting work and good people. A very laid back work environment where you can come and go as you please as long as the work gets done. Decent benefits, good 401k match.

Cons

I was only at Baker for a little over a year, but I can confidently say that the executive management is a joke. For example, after giving an average raise of 1.6%, they had the nerve to send out a company wide email indicating that they had just leased the top two floors of a skyscraper in downtown Pittsburgh for the executive management. Talk about a big 'screw you' to every employee. Over the past year, people have been leaving in droves and morale is at rock bottom. There is a 'town hall' meeting coming up in November where the executive management is going to attempt to explain what the hell happened in addition to rolling out their new policies. I'm sure the meeting will be nothing short of a dumpster fire.

Make your salaries more competitive.
    More transparency.

Worried about their future

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Michael Baker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good 401k and benefits program. Good vacation policy. I had 4 weeks vacation when I left the firm. I enjoyed working with the people in the office.

Cons

Morale was low and continued to drop. In the past three years, our office staff dropped by approximately 50% since Michael Baker acquired the former company, The LPA GROUP. People would either leave for another job or were downsized or their position was eliminated. People went out the door, but very few if any came in the door to replace them. A vast majority of senior leadership in the Southeastern offices have left, leaving junior people to fill the positions. The result is a serious experience and leadership vacuum. Corporate leadership also seems lacking and unstable. There were constant policy changes and leadership changes in the three years that caused more uncertainty than they did reassure the employees. The raises were basically a joke the last couple of years, with a 1.7% raise in 2014. I would not recommend as a place for a long-term job.

Focus should be on keeping the clients happy and improving morale and motivation of current employees. The uncertainty with Baker's future is damaging the current staff's ability to go out and market effectively. The workers are the top asset at Baker and they should be made to feel that way. A solid vision and plan are needed to give some solidarity and confidence to both clients and employees.

Mixed Feelings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Michael Baker full-time

Pros

Pay is ok other than that I can't recall any more pros. Michael baker is a good place to start off your career depending on your attitude towards management.

Cons

managers are abusive in their tone with you also you ARE hardly ever recognized for your hard work even if your manager is CC'ed on accolades from different PM's within the company. I would say if you not Friends or family of any of the management team it would be hard to stay afloat there. Team wise co-workers are great just watch for certain managers.

Please stop giving Managers so much power with no one to answer for unethical behavior because it just drives away great employees.