Michael C. Fina

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Ashley Fina

Great Perks!

ProsTons of Pros to working here - Great PTO plan, beautiful roof top lounge with stunning Manhattan views, parking lottery, employee recognition program, work life balance friendly, Fruit Fridays monthly, awesome holiday party yearly. There is also a great spirit amongst many of the employees.

ConsSmaller company so internal promotions dont happen as often as I would like but they do happen and the company continues to grow

An OK place to work.....

ProsEmployees are rewarded for their work efforts.and years of service. The company offers a good work-lfe balance. Training programs provided are very good.

ConsThe location. Too much turnover. The work environment is contantly changing in regards to responsibilities. There are departments that need better technology, not sure if management is willing to spend the money to get it. Not all departments work together as a team. Not sure how much longer I want to work here I feel uneasy about things.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more structured work environment. Things keep changing and people in various positions continue to leave. Stability is needed.

Changes are a'comin!

ProsBeen working here for some time and have seen a positive change in the company. Are there areas where more improvement is needed...sure,but change in any organization doesn't happen over night...patience my friends. But rest assure management has their eye on the prize and are moving in the right direction. Some positives, roof top lounge, family friendly environment and fun events example bake sales, warehouse sales. I'm sticking around!

ConsCan not possibly change this con but it is what it is...location is not ideal BUT the #7 train is close by along with the LIRR.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your progress going ...it shows!

Flag Review
    Michael C. Fina HR Director responded to this review Jul 2, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for acknowleding all our hard work to making positive changes. We are trying our best to continue to improve and sincerely appreciate the recognition,
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

ProsManagement team is stronger and Leadership is becoming more visionary. Great place to gain experience and move up in your career if you are focused and driven! Great work/life balance, flexible schedules available, employee-centered, family-friendly culture, great benefits and perks.

ConsLocation can be challenging at times with regards to parking but MCF does offer employees a parking lottery program. Otherwise, 7 train is close by and LIRR a few blocks away.

The company is becoming a better place to work every day.

ProsCollaborative environment, managers are fair and understanding of employee needs, good communication from HR

ConsLocation in LIC can be challenging at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the improvements coming, we feel the impact

Who is John Galt?

Long Island City, NY

Pros- Management is friendly.

- Materials are assembled in-house (please continue to keep jobs in America).

- High diversity.

- Company participates in charity walks.

Cons- Management is grossly incompetent and does not understand the dynamics of the 21st century workplace.

- High turnover at all levels; MCF has a brain drain problem.

- No continuity plan for most processes; too few people know critical tasks.

- Salaries/wages are not competitive and raises/promotions are largely inexistent.

- Many people are unqualified to hold their current positions; in contrast, many people with growth potential have few opportunities to shine.

Possible OSHA violations:
        a.) Vents have historically caused problems.
        b.) I have personally seen bugs throughout the building, particularly in the bathrooms
                 and eating areas. Rodent droppings have been discovered by others.
        c.) See other reviews below.

Possible New York State Labor Law violations:
        a.) People often work extra hours, however the appropriate overtime wage may not
                 always be paid.
        b.) A lot of immigrants are hired, it is not certain if they fully understand minimum
                 wage laws; leaving a wide opening for abuse.
        c.) See other reviews below.

It's admirable that the company has been around for about 80 years, but even companies that have lasted twice as long have failed. This company is a victim of its own hubris and will fall on its own sword.

To those looking for a job:
    At this time, I do not recommend working for this company, even if you are desperate.

To those currently employed:
    Leave as soon as possible. Sure, things could improve, but if MCF's self-destructive habits continue, you will no doubt become a casualty. It is simply not worth the risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are serious about running a successful company, you'll make the appropriate changes.

For example, decide which is more important:

a.) Keeping the executive suite filled with Fina family members and friends.

<< or >>

b.) Ensuring the long-term viability of the business.

These two are not mutually exclusive. However, if it came down to it, tough decisions may be necessary.

Also, either bring more substance to town halls or stop wasting everyone's time. Follow the KISS (keep it short and simple) method and communication will be effective.

Directionless company focused on tearing the life out of you

Project and Platform Management Manager (Former Employee)
    Long Island City, NY

Pros- Grade A+ HR department. The only professional group in the company.
    - Upper management are always around and outgoing

Cons- Terrible location, very few restaurants around, broken warehouses and a prison nearby
    - Office is cramped, crowded and dirty
    - Knowledge is unevenly spread and jealously guarded by the old-timers
    - Very high turnover, 25+ people in 5 months in a company of ~220
    - Family-run business (4/6 C-level positions are Fina family members), thus very little room for advancement
    - Pay is non-competitive and no vacation until you work for 1 year
    - Office politics and cliques rule, making work very difficult
    -Working overtime is nor commended, it is expected. You will be taken aside and talked to if you are not working more than 8 hours a day.

Advice to Senior Management- Re-arrange management to suit the needs of a 21st century company. Nepotism is nor your friend when running a business!
    - Make upper management accountable for departmental foul-ups and office politics.
    - Give more than a certificate to good workers. Bring back raises, allow people to actually get more than 2 weeks of vacation.

Slavery environment, waste of time while work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Long Island City, NY

ProsThere is nothing to be pros except friendly nice co-workers

ConsNo room for growth(not in my department), as mention on another review many people favorable by senior management because of personality not skill., Very very low compensation on this economic situation totally unfair

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease survey another great company and follow their way to make employee happy.

"All work and no pay makes for a unproductive employee"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFor a rewards company they do practice what they preach by offering annual service awards. But I'd rather get a raise every year than a certificate.

ConsNo annual salary increases! Promises of increases which never come, yet the work keeps piling on. Salary is low to begin with and the location is nothing to smile about. Totally inconvenient place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company should learn to treat their employees with respect when it comes to offering a decent wage. Rewarding an annual certificate is not going to sustain ones ability to pay rent!

Quite a ride

Long Island City, NY

ProsAble to speak to all levels of management if needed. Family environment with your coworkers, not everything is straight business all the time. The Finas will help you out if your in a tough bind. There's never a dull moment, there's always something going on to keep the job exciting.

ConsPay isn't competitive. A lot of managers who don't belong managing but have been able to keep their jobs because of personality. Very gossipy environment. Vacation/days off aren't competitive. No one ever does their job, always have something new thrown at you on a regular basis. Not praised/compensated justly when you do take on extra work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPraise, promote and/or compensate your best team players and people who have been loyal throughout the years. Don't always respond to just the problematic people, look into the crowd and see who are the ones who consistently deliver and don't make a fuss about things and foster those members of your team. Fire all the toxic team members and create a better overall morale.

Worked for Michael C. Fina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michael C. Fina reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michael C. Fina CEO Ashley Fina . All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Michael C. Fina employees.