Michael C. Fina Reviews

1. Great family company but limited opportunities due to size

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Michael C. Fina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are good at doing different things, this is a great place to work. You are never limited in responsibilities or opportunities to move laterally or up, however, the organization is rather bottom-heavy and that could be limited. The family, who still run the company, is very supportive of their management teams and are accessible to all.

Cons

Everything depends on your experience with your immediate manager, and there are some departments known for competitive and negative experiences and favoritism.

Continue to move forward in a positive direction and hire quality leaders with direct experience.

2. -

I have been working at Michael C. Fina

Pros

Helpful co-workers and management is trying to be in touch with their employees

Cons

low pay which results to high-turn over of employees

3. Okay Employer

I worked at Michael C. Fina

Pros

The perks were the best part!

Cons

Summers you are expected to work long hours just to get off early on Friday.

I have been working at Michael C. Fina

Pros

Coworkers make the work day go well

Cons

Pay is cheap and very litte advancement

Is HR Posting Fake Reviews?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Michael C. Fina full-time

Pros

- MCF's mid-size allows employees to have frequent contact with the Finas
    - Charity walks are encouraged
    - The average New Yorker is aware of the retail side
    - Some of those that have been here for many, many years receive a genuine farewell retirement party
    - Most non-executive employees are great as colleagues

Cons

- Location is awful; MCF is in an industrial area right off of the 7 train (which means restaurant choices for breakfast/lunch are extremely limited).
    - Wages are a joke and you can forget about raises/promotions.
    - The company's size should be an advantage, but nepotism and arrogance stifles innovation and growth.
    - Although MCF somewhat has a heart, it definitely has no brains. Turn-over keeps getting worse.
    - We are told that things will improve, but when recommendations are offered, no one listens.
    - Important information is not shared equally, many have been left in the dark on critical accounts on many occasions.
    - Benefits are not attractive

---------
    - HR may be doing a little PR in desperation. Some of the posts on here look very suspicious because some "reviews" do not at all reflect what's truly happening.

For example:
    Up to 1/11/14, the average was 2 stars. However, the last five posts (excluding this one) had an average of 4 stars. Additionally, up to 1/11/14 the average number of days between posts was 135, that’s 4 and a half months. But, the last five posts (excluding this one) had the average numbers of days between posts at 34, that’s slightly more than a month.

Again, there is no absolute proof, but the sudden flood of positive "reviews" (seriously, one almost every month since March 2014) strikes as suspicious. Just look at the numbers:
    07/02/14 – 5 stars (suspicious) | 06/04/14 – 3 stars
    05/04/14 – 4 stars (suspicious) | 04/23/14 – 4 stars (suspicious)
    03/05/14 – 4 stars (suspicious) | 01/11/14 – 1 star
    12/29/13 – 1 star | 06/09/13 – 1 star
    03/31/13 – 1 star | 12/16/12 – 1 star
    08/09/12 – 4 stars | 12/16/10 – 4 stars
    11/19/10 – 3 stars | 11/18/09 – 1 star
    11/06/09 – 1 star |09/26/09 – 2 stars
    01/07/09 – 5 stars | 08/21/08 – 2 stars
    06/16/08 – 1 star | 06/15/08 – 3 stars

Ask yourself if A. Fina is really the best person to run the company. Yes, it's nice to tell customers (ahem, excuse me, partners) that MCF is WBENC certified, but at what cost? Also, employees do indeed have ideas worth listening to, GAAP should not be the exclusive filter for decision making.

Great Perks!

I have been working at Michael C. Fina full-time

Pros

Tons of Pros to working here - Great PTO plan, beautiful roof top lounge with stunning Manhattan views, parking lottery, employee recognition program, work life balance friendly, Fruit Fridays monthly, awesome holiday party yearly. There is also a great spirit amongst many of the employees.

Cons

Smaller company so internal promotions dont happen as often as I would like but they do happen and the company continues to grow

An OK place to work.....

I have been working at Michael C. Fina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are rewarded for their work efforts.and years of service. The company offers a good work-lfe balance. Training programs provided are very good.

Cons

The location. Too much turnover. The work environment is contantly changing in regards to responsibilities. There are departments that need better technology, not sure if management is willing to spend the money to get it. Not all departments work together as a team. Not sure how much longer I want to work here I feel uneasy about things.

Create a more structured work environment. Things keep changing and people in various positions continue to leave. Stability is needed.

9. Changes are a'comin!

I have been working at Michael C. Fina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Been working here for some time and have seen a positive change in the company. Are there areas where more improvement is needed...sure,but change in any organization doesn't happen over night...patience my friends. But rest assure management has their eye on the prize and are moving in the right direction. Some positives, roof top lounge, family friendly environment and fun events example bake sales, warehouse sales. I'm sticking around!

Cons

Can not possibly change this con but it is what it is...location is not ideal BUT the #7 train is close by along with the LIRR.

Keep your progress going ...it shows!

Michael C. Fina Response

Jul 2, 2014HR Director

Thanks for acknowleding all our hard work to making positive changes. We are trying our best to continue to improve and sincerely appreciate the recognition,

10. Great place to work!

I have been working at Michael C. Fina

Pros

Management team is stronger and Leadership is becoming more visionary. Great place to gain experience and move up in your career if you are focused and driven! Great work/life balance, flexible schedules available, employee-centered, family-friendly culture, great benefits and perks.

Cons

Location can be challenging at times with regards to parking but MCF does offer employees a parking lottery program. Otherwise, 7 train is close by and LIRR a few blocks away.

11. The company is becoming a better place to work every day.

I have been working at Michael C. Fina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment, managers are fair and understanding of employee needs, good communication from HR

Cons

Location in LIC can be challenging at times

Keep the improvements coming, we feel the impact