Michael Graves & Associates

Michael Graves

Internship at Michael Graves Architecture and Design

Former Employee - Intern in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Princeton, NJ

Pros

Interning at MGA&D has been one of the most rewarding experiences imaginable. Every day I have been able to contribute to the design processes and work as if I was a product designer on the team as opposed to an intern. The team is very loving and encouraging and pushes each other to create innovative, beautiful products. It is a fabulous place to have an internship.

Cons

I have no real problems with MGA&D. The hours are reasonable, I had a reasonable intern salary, etc.

Advice to Management

I loved the open, encouraging office culture. At times I seemed to not be used at my full potential, but most of the time I was able to stay busy and contribute to the team. Please continue with your internship program, it has been a life changing experience for me.

2. A lot of great talented people to work with

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Architectural Designer in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Michael Graves & Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to work in landmark buildings all over the world. If they let you get close to Michael, a lifetime opportunity to learn

Cons

Management is non communicative at all. No communication between partners, no communication inside the teams. They will make all kind of promises that never materialize. If you demand more involvement and responsibility, you will be set up in a failing quest for the principals enjoyment.

Advice to Management

Talk, communicate, stop the micromanagement and let people get involved in the projects.

3. okay

Former Employee - Designer in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Designer in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Michael Graves & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great coworkers, flex time when working overtime, casual dress code

Cons

Location was a downfall. Architectural work was dated. Wish there was more collaboration between departments

Advice to Management

better communications

5. MGDG

Pros

Great for whipping you into shape as a young designer. You learn more in 2 months than you did in college with design. Great sense of design history. Work on several different kinds of great projects with other great designers and MG himself. Travel for senior staff. Free give aways of products that are used for research. Walk around Princeton for lunch. Decent salary/benefits. Dogs in the office. People are very friendly.

Cons

Say goodbye to your social life, you work late all the time (past midnight) especially as a young designer. There are egos and hierarchy very present. Project management is the laughable, directors do not communicate with each other. Certain folks there try to be lead designer and manage the project, it does not turn out well. Very old school, a lot of wasted time on doing things that you should not have to do, then you have to stay late to finish the important work. I have witnessed "dangling the opportunity" of moving up in the ranks, especially to jr designers, and that really bothered me a lot.

Advice to Management

Talk to each other, you have no idea how irritated that makes the staff when you have to do the work twice. Let people go home or pay them more/overtime. Give the young designers a chance to actually design something themselves.

6. Set up to fail- daily

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Michael Graves & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wide range of projects for graphic designers Textile design, industrial design along with presentation design Very talented young staff of graphic designers

Cons

Extremely lo tech ( graphic designers worked on PC's and in 2008 the OS was windows 98) Could not print b/c the printers were too old- had to print most presentation books at print shop) 1 man IT department ( in 2008 there were almost 100 employees, it was awful) Serious sweat shop Lots of HUGE egos to work around

Advice to Management

Hire a creative director to head up the graphics department to grow that side of the business. A furniture designer from the 80's should not be heading this up. Invest in some new technology for your staff- it was debilitating to work on such old malfunctioning equipment. Ease up on the sweat shop mentality- life is too short.

7. Wonderful

I worked at Michael Graves & Associates full-time

Pros

Exposure to all levels of design including industrial design.

Cons

Sometimes lack of coordination & communication among senior management.

Advice to Management

Better communication.

8. satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Designer
    Current Employee - Senior Designer

Pros

knowledge of management and staff at large

Cons

stylized language of design and approach

RSS Feed </> Embed