Michael J. Hennessy Associates

Reset
2.7
Michael J. Hennessy

1. Extremely demanding but rewarding work

I have been working at Michael J. Hennessy Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly an entrepreneurial environment where new ideas can be born and bred within a matter of minutes. Colleagues at the company are extremely bright and push one another to be better everyday. Great opportunity for advancement and willing to pay.

Cons

Time-Off can definitely be one of the draw backs as you are expected to travel to and from congresses which usually take place on weekends. Additionally emails are sent and received around the clock.

Advice to Management

Consider providing employees that regularly travel on weekends some time back.

National Accounts Manager

I worked at Michael J. Hennessy Associates full-time

Pros

Chance to make some good money if you get the right accounts.

Cons

Micromanagement, unorganized at times. Very poor corporate atmosphere

In need of tremendous improvement

I worked at Michael J. Hennessy Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to network with outside companies and employers in tremendous. Some of my former clients are friends and colleagues today as Intellisphere stresses the importance of client relationships.

Cons

I have never worked in such a negative environment. Employees work in fear of harsh criticism by upper management, or of the CEO kicking them out of their role, in order to continue advancing his children's careers within the company. There is something to be said about one having thick skin within an office environment, but reprimanding employees in front of their colleagues, and promoting zero work life balance, in my experience, steps far beyond boundary lines. Additionally, management chases after their competition in a reactive way, versus using proactive and innovative ideas. The level of turnover within the company speaks for itself.

Entrepreneurial environment without the perks and pay

Former Employee - Manager in Plainsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Plainsboro, NJ

Pros

Co-workers are all sharp people who are focused and motivated. This is true. Coworkers are the best part Senior management is very accessible. This is true. Management comes around and talks to people and hear what you have to say. CEO comes around and seems genuinely interested in employees and their lives.

Cons

Fast paced, entrepreneurial environment. Whatever shiny new thing captures the interest of the CEO is the work that employees get told to do immediately. Quality of doing new work as fast as possible never taken into account. Funding for producing quality work not provided Other work that the employee is also doing at break neck speed never taken into account. Pay to match the fast pace and work load is abysmal. No perks, either. Benefits barely match industry standards. Vacation time is below industry standards. Excellent opportunities for advancement. Employees are readily promoted, but don't look for a salary increase to match your advancement. Significant investment is made in employee development. Employees get new responsibilities even if they have no prior experience or they don't want to do that type of work. Management attitude is suck it up or leave. Employees made to attend the usual motivational and training programs. Perhaps good for employees new to the field, but senior level people are stuck wasting their days on the next 'miracle' program that tells them nothing new. Outside consultants also come in to improve efficiency, with the same fake results. Its like being stuck as a character in The Emperor's New Clothes. There is no dead weight. True. Any one who complains gets laid off. Managers who try to protect their employees get laid off. Any one who can't take the constant pressure is let go. Anyone who wants to have most of their nights and weekends to spend with family is not fit to work here. This is odd because the owner-CEO talks to employees and seems to care about their lives. If you want a 9-5 job where you can spend 2 hours a day chatting with your friends or updating facebook, this is not the place for you. This is true. Expect to work nights and weekends on a regular basis, not just now and then. Lots of travel with long hours. On travel assignments some employees work from 7 am to midnight for an entire weekend and never get comp time. That type of travel assignment happens much more than once or twice a year.

Advice to Management

If you want to run a fast paced entrepreneurial business, put your money where your mouth is. Give real bonuses for working on new projects. Get rid of the useless 'rapid improvement plans' and the ridiculous 'improvements' employees are forced to make in order to earn 'bonuses' that are so low-paying that they are laughable. Get rid of the employee of the quarter program, too. Set up profit-sharing arrangements. The sales team gets commissions for their work, but if they don't have a quality product they have nothing sell. Reward the rest of the company for efforts that lead to profits. Its 2015--employee complaints don't mean they are disloyal. Complaints identify areas where the company can improve. If you want people to be loyal and work hard for you, then address the complaints in a reasonable and professional manner. Get rid of the posters about loyalty which are insulting. Get input from employees about what would help. Find ways to give actual comp time for long hours. Find ways to give people breaks so that they don't have to sacrifice their health and their personal lives just to get a pay check. Take a chance and set up summer Fridays. The whole fast paced entrepreneurial excuse gets old quickly without the perks and pay scales to make the sacrifice of personal lives worth it. Put people first. They are your most important resource and you're wasting them and making them angry.

Fake Favorable Reviews Perfectly Capture this Company's Character

Current Employee - Middle Level Employee in Plainsboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Middle Level Employee in Plainsboro, NJ

Pros

Very friendly, creative and intelligent co-workers. Possibly the only thing that will keep you from losing your sanity here.

Cons

Nepotism: Employees feel unappreciated, and rightly so. The owner's kids (in senior positions) being the focal point of the annual luncheon and receiving awards adds to the feeling.. Cheap: Continually adding cubicles to already cramped and freezing cold quarters. They are slow to or don't compensate work-related expenses. Pay is a joke considering the hoops you're expected to jump through and the amount of stress you'll be put under. Crappy benefits: Vacation time policy is sub-par; especially terrible for Sales Associates. Low employee morale: Depending on your department, there is limited interaction between co-workers.I mean days can go by without anyone talking, just clicking away at their keyboards. The owner paging everyone under the sun 24/7 doesn't help. High turnover: People are gone before you meet them. I wonder why.

Advice to Management

Instead of spending your time hanging up "loyalty" posters and making fake Glassdoor reviews, do something to ACTUALLY improve the company.

Intellisphere, a great place to work while looking for a new job

Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Plainsboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Plainsboro, NJ

I have been working at Michael J. Hennessy Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is one person in upper management that is a pretty good guy. They are talking about adding a K-cup machine to the one kitchen area.

Cons

Employees have to supply their own phones and laptops without compensation. Nepotism runs rampant. Pennies are pinched so hard they are stretched into copper wire used to supply energy to the 7'x7' cubicles. Upper management's favorite response is "if you like not being on unemployment, suck it up" I daily hear people calling home and crying to their spouses about how much they hate it here. Everyone eats at their desks so it smells like a menagerie of regurgitated leftovers from noon-4pm. Zero work/life balance. Associates are expected to come to work sick, work weekends and holidays. The level of respect upper management has to most every single employee is tantamount to a sweatshop. I don't even know how the CEO was given the title, he shows up to meetings, asks the most far-fetched, vexing questions of people and berates them if they don't answer them.

Advice to Management

Just give it up already. Unless you start listening to your employees and get even one iota of a clue, you will not be around in a few years.

Innovative Environment with Quality People

I have been working at Michael J. Hennessy Associates full-time

Pros

The Company has a fast paced, innovative, open environment. If you have quality ideas, there is nothing standing in your way to share it. The senior level executives are busy but available to hear ideas as well as any concerns you have. The Company provides avenues to learn and grow in your position as well as advance in the Company. Many of the senior level executives and managers I come in contact with invest in their team members, including my own. I’ve learned a great deal here at the Company, had the opportunity to grow in my role as well as often seen promotions and role changes for others here. I’ve come to know a lot of the Company’s employees and found that the Company is filled with quality, hardworking and intelligent team members. Many of the team members are invested in their roles and work hard to see that things are done right.

Cons

The fast pace of the Company can demanding at times. Ability to multitask is a must as important projects can arise quickly with the expectation of completing the project and your other responsibilities timely. There are times when work on evenings and / or weekends is needed.

Current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ

I have been working at Michael J. Hennessy Associates part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cannot really think of anything nice, far cry from previous management which understood the medical publishing business. The only thing nice is my excellent co-workers.

Cons

Leadership lacks vision, integrity and professionalism. Senior leadership runs around and is constantly changing direction.

Advice to Management

Treat people like you would want to be treated. Most importantly be honest with employees and others, try to attend some courses in basic professional behavior.

Fast paced, highly motivated people!

Pros

Innovative company, always looking to the next big thing. Company is performing as one of the top medical publishers in the industry. Fast paced nature of the business allows you to never be bored working on the same thing. People here are friendly and great to work with. Growth opportunities exist within company if you want it. Managers have an "open door" policy to help give advice or help with the project at hand. Junior team members get a lot of training to help learn the business model.

Cons

Fast paced nature can be stressful. Some travel required on weekends even if you are not in sales.

Rewarding Experience at Intellisphere

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Plainsboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Plainsboro, NJ

Pros

As a sales associate in my third year I have to say that I am having a blast working here! Compared to my other friends who are in sales at other companies I have made more money, had more professional sales training courses, traveled to some pretty cool cities and worked for really caring managers. The CEO and management team is always keeping the company ahead of the competition and gives us the confidence that we are going to benefit from the investments that are being made today. We have a nice mix of young employees with experienced colleagues and never have the feeling that we are alone in our sales efforts. Best part is the CEO always stops by to ask what I need and takes an interest in my family. That is the best.

Cons

Not too many bad things about working here except for the sales reps that complain about not being able to make appointments or waste my time with chit-chat. Most of my team are good eggs, but always one bad apple right?

Advice to Management

Management has a tough job but some things like early closings on summer Fridays, or more sales contests with trips as rewards would be interesting.

RSS Feed </> Embed