Michael Kors

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

3.3

John Idol

Pros
  • generous clothing allotment, great discount (in 23 reviews)

• The discount and free clothes are the only pros (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work - life balance is off unless you set limits from the beginning (in 14 reviews)

• There are black out dates and really long hours during the holidays but the amazing commission makes it all worth it (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty to look at, dangerous to touch.

Current Employee - Sample Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sample Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

You get a 50% discount and get to tell people you work for Michael Kors.

Cons

Disorganization at it's finest. Rude, privileged snobs working as senior management. Archaic system. Over sense of hierarchy. Extreme emphasis on physical appearance. Total abuse of entry level position holders. Low company moral: everyone is miserable. No new friends? Try no friends; everyone talks behind everyone's back. Even witnessed it from VP's and higher: very immature. Horrendous processes. A lot of turn over; saw 8 people come and go in one department during my short time in Corporate. Shady HR procedures. Lack of vision & over saturation in the Market. MK is the next coach and let's face it: who wears Coach anymore? Mistreated and overworked is an understatement to my time at MK. One year spent there and I would have been happier in Hell.

Pay attention and attend the management seminars because the lack of attention paid to your team is poor. Boost moral don't kill it. And leave on time: we don't sell human organs.

Amazing company and brand but has drawbacks

Former Employee - Shop Manager
    Former Employee - Shop Manager

Pros

Clothing allotment, brand prestige, friendly co-workers, cutting edge styling, great training, stock in the company, great benefits, matching 401k, great opportunities to meet with upper management with vendors and partners, high responsibility

Cons

Grossly underpaid and overworked, high turnover of management, work most weekends

Absolutely increase salaries to equal industry standards, make daily recaps weekly, and listen to employee feedback about not being paid for overtime

Great atmosphere, great training, fabulous discount.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

I absolutely love everyone I work with. I like that i work closely with them and we can talk during down time. I received amazing training in sales. Top seller gets a bonus every month. You get a clothing allotment and a 50% discount. Sometimes I have great interactions with customers who are upbeat and willing to open up. Although they track our sales, I never felt like I was competing with my coworkers. We all encourage each other to do our best and we chime in to help each other's sales, not to steal them. Every one of my managers is great. They get to know the associates on a personal level and make a point to help us become better sales people. I love the atmosphere. I've developed amazing people skills since starting here.

Cons

You have to be pushy in your sales. Sometimes you get super snobby customers who don't want to talk to you. You have to have a conversation with your customer. Sometimes that's great because they're fun, but other times it's hard. You have to make yourself likable to your customer. Even if they like a handbag, you have to push them to buy more. Sometimes it becomes more about the sales statistics (units per transaction and average dollar sale) more than giving genuine customer service. But overall, I enjoy how much I get to interact with other people.
    Also, sometimes a customer loves a bag that is absolutely hideous and all I can do is suggest other things. I can't tell her the bag is hideous and she can't be seen with it.

Give your associates commission! We are motivated to sell, but giving a bonus to one person every month is not enough. We need to know that you appreciate all our handwork and pushiness. If we worked on commission, associates would work hard every single shift and their KPI statistics would be more consistent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Overall

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

-competitive selling
    -Great Resume Builder
    -Amazing sales training
    - Management is focused on production

Cons

-Difficult to Move up
    -Lower pay than many other high end designers

Amazing insight into how fashion happens after designing is complete

Former Employee - Public Relations Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in New York, NY

Pros

If you are willing to jump right in you will experience and learn so much! Perfect environment for those who need little supervision. Amazing perks such as staging and working Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Runway show.

Cons

During major upcoming events hours can get a bit long. May have to pick up slack for other interns/employees.

Speak to interns about career after graduation if talent and passion is there.

Amazing atmosphere filled with educated, determined and hardworking individuals

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

Working at Michael Kors barely felt like working. The job was a fun loving atmosphere in which my presence felt appreciated.

Cons

Must work weekends, holidays are the busiest times

Great company to work for although the opportunity to advance is limited.

Current Employee - Keyholder  in  Tinton Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Tinton Falls, NJ

Pros

Nice perks, clothing allowance, great benefits

Cons

No room for growth within the company especially from store level to corporate

culture, make sure you find people who are looking to stay and not going to quit after a few months

Intern

Former Employee - Marketing  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

Pros

Discounts, fast paced company. Good location in the city. The hours are pretty standard, 9-6. People take lunch breaks and bring food to the office.

Cons

In meetings all the time. People are sometimes to busy to help you. It's hard to know which person to go to for what advice and help. People get into arguments and sometimes are lazy.

Have a retreat or share your cultural values with your employees.

Alright at first, but stock has brought me down.

Current Employee - Stock Manager
    Current Employee - Stock Manager

Pros

discounts are basically the only perk

Cons

time off = average
    company values = focuses on sales associates and disregards their stock associates
    perks = contest for sales associates, not a single thing for stock associates

it's retail. retail hours

Please notice your hardworking stock associates much more. I have heard and had to help a lot of unhappy people due to the lack of appreciation.

Work Hard, Go No Where

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

You will definitely learn to be an aggressive seller which will strengthen your selling techniques

Cons

Refuse to make full time because the company will have to give benefits. Work 5 days a week with 4-5 hour shifts. Leadership will lie and make un-kept promises to manipulate you.

Honesty is the best policy. Stop lying to your employees, be straight forward. Treat them like humans. Start caring about your employees. Reward top sellers with more hours, instead of making it a popularity contest.

Worked for Michael Kors? Contribute to the Community!