Michael Kors

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.1

John Idol

Pros
  • Great discount especially when it comes to gifting around the holidays (in 27 reviews)

• Clothing allotment is nice but you don't get to choose the items and you have to pay taxes on them (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work - life balance is off unless you set limits from the beginning (in 17 reviews)

• Refuse to make full time because the company will have to give benefits (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Shop Manager Retail Development

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Michael Kors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount, bonus, lots of development opportunities, freedom

Cons

Work-life balance, must drive your business through you do not manage the employees you work with on a daily basis

Needs work

I have been working at Michael Kors full-time

Pros

Great development opportunities. Company is only growing. Decent product.

Cons

Growing pains. Company is still learning basic functionality as opposed to its competitors.

Remove personal life from work. Function as a corporation, not a mom and pop shop.

Great company for a part time job, but couldn't see myself there after college.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Michael Kors part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount especially when it comes to gifting around the holidays. You get wardrobe so my closet is filled with stylish and chic clothes and shoes.

Cons

Michael himself is unoriginal as a designer. Customers complain he is copying other designers and all you can do is disagree. It gets crazy during holiday with hours and not getting paid for over time. Worked with lazy employees and too many things went unnoticed and under appreciated.

Amazing company and brand but has drawbacks

Former Employee - Shop Manager
    Former Employee - Shop Manager

I worked at Michael Kors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clothing allotment, brand prestige, friendly co-workers, cutting edge styling, great training, stock in the company, great benefits, matching 401k, great opportunities to meet with upper management with vendors and partners, high responsibility

Cons

Grossly underpaid and overworked, high turnover of management, work most weekends

Absolutely increase salaries to equal industry standards, make daily recaps weekly, and listen to employee feedback about not being paid for overtime

michael kors

I have been working at Michael Kors part-time

Pros

free clothes and great discount

Cons

everyone is at each other's throat competing for sales

Great atmosphere, great training, fabulous discount.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Michael Kors part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I absolutely love everyone I work with. I like that i work closely with them and we can talk during down time. I received amazing training in sales. Top seller gets a bonus every month. You get a clothing allotment and a 50% discount. Sometimes I have great interactions with customers who are upbeat and willing to open up. Although they track our sales, I never felt like I was competing with my coworkers. We all encourage each other to do our best and we chime in to help each other's sales, not to steal them. Every one of my managers is great. They get to know the associates on a personal level and make a point to help us become better sales people. I love the atmosphere. I've developed amazing people skills since starting here.

Cons

You have to be pushy in your sales. Sometimes you get super snobby customers who don't want to talk to you. You have to have a conversation with your customer. Sometimes that's great because they're fun, but other times it's hard. You have to make yourself likable to your customer. Even if they like a handbag, you have to push them to buy more. Sometimes it becomes more about the sales statistics (units per transaction and average dollar sale) more than giving genuine customer service. But overall, I enjoy how much I get to interact with other people.
    Also, sometimes a customer loves a bag that is absolutely hideous and all I can do is suggest other things. I can't tell her the bag is hideous and she can't be seen with it.

Give your associates commission! We are motivated to sell, but giving a bonus to one person every month is not enough. We need to know that you appreciate all our handwork and pushiness. If we worked on commission, associates would work hard every single shift and their KPI statistics would be more consistent.

Great Company Overall

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Michael Kors part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-competitive selling
    -Great Resume Builder
    -Amazing sales training
    - Management is focused on production

Cons

-Difficult to Move up
    -Lower pay than many other high end designers

Horrible experiences with upper management and some staff members

I have been working at Michael Kors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount was great. Clothing and shoe allotment were wonderful. Health benefits.

Cons

Very hard to move up in the company unless you are friendly with upper management. Favoritism played a big role in hiring and promoting. Sales associates had no regard for management. Management walked all over associates. Don't see the hard work that is put into running a store with growing goals and expectations. Training was a joke. Focused on unimportant games. Upper management would come and go as they please and pick on everything and not see the hard work done. A lot was overlooked by corporate.

Don't leave your email open so your staff can't see that you are trying to replace them. Don't push hard workers out. You are not at work to make best friends and exclude others.
    Corporate needs to look at management with a microscope. Interviews included bowls of chili being eaten off the lap. Very unprofessional.

Amazing atmosphere filled with educated, determined and hardworking individuals

Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Michael Kors part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Michael Kors barely felt like working. The job was a fun loving atmosphere in which my presence felt appreciated.

Cons

Must work weekends, holidays are the busiest times

Bad upper management.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Michael Kors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount. Fun in store environment. Loved the clients we had and relationship cultivated with them. Easy product to sell.

Cons

The corporate management above me was not. Over the course of my 5 years being there 3 of the people above me were terminated due to bad management. These people hurt my over all growth with the company. I had many friends through out multiple stores and we all had the same issues.

Michael Kors Photos