Michael Page International

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Page International CEO Steve Ingham

Steve Ingham

Pros:
  • "High energy, "work hard play hard", collaborative environment, great learning experience"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Structured environment that's a great training ground to learn how to recruit effectively"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours and cutthroat management drains the life out of you"
    in 34 reviews
  • "The work life balance is non-existent - in my second week I was expected to work from 8am - 8:30/9:00pm"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Consultant

I worked at Michael Page International

ProsEnvironment, challenging, people, party, fun

ConsEven when achieving management position, you keep doing recruitment and stay hands-on for at least 6 years. Then you can finally dedicate your time to strategy and people management

Boiler Room

I worked at Michael Page International

ProsFun people, corporate events, decent benefits, great vacation time

ConsHours are long, must be willing to put in 8-7pm at least 3 days a wk
Very political, high pressure, loses the personal touch

Advice to Senior ManagementNot every manager is the same, put in more time with junior recruiters or new hires to be sure you are getting the best out of them. You put a lot into trainging, its too bad you fire before people have the chance to make a difference.

The right place to advance my career!

New York, NY

I have been working at Michael Page International full-time

ProsEverything that was advertised during the interview has been delivered! I know exactly what is need to do to earn a promotion, earn my bonus, and go on the incentive trips. The company culture is exactly what I wanted and day flies by all. Plus, I'm surrounded by a similar group of people: smart, hard working, motivated professionals all working towards a common goal.

ConsAs expected, the hours are long but it is exactly what I signed up for. It's the same here as it is with any staffing firm, but the difference is the time put in here actually pays off.

Rapid Growth Opportunity

Senior Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Michael Page International full-time for more than a year

Pros- Organic growth model
- Rapid career advancement
- Opportunity to hire new talent quickly and ultimately manage a team
- Company encourages global mobility
- One of the world's leading training programs
- Working with strong, established clients both locallly and globally
- Specialist recruitment agency with a progressive presence in most major markets
- Base compensation with discretionary quarterly bonus incentives
- 20 days paid vacation plus medical & dental (after 3 months) and 401K (after 1 year)
- North American CEO knows everyone's names - very motivating
- NY Office is in a prime Midtown location - Chrysler Building (easy commute, across from Grand Central)
- Women in Page initiative, stressing the important of business women in the workplace with strategic networking events
- Unlimited caffeinated beverages to keep you going all day (with free breakfast on Mondays)

Cons- Work/life balance; those who succeed put in long hours
- Older windows in the Chrysler building, can sometimes feel a draft in the office
- Employee-only trips offered as incentives for top billers on a quarterly and annual basis (as opposed to trips involving family/spouses or just a monerary reward)
- Benefits don't begin until 3 months/90 days of employment

Not very attentive as a staffing agency should be.

Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Michael Page International full-time for less than a year

ProsTheir online timesheets are effective

ConsNot attentive
Hard to get a hold of if I had any questions
Wasn't helpful as a liason between the company I worked for and their staffing agency
I felt the agency was more concerned for themselves
I was promised commission, but only received it once in the time I was there

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the best interests of the people you staff instead of your own interests.

Go For it

I worked at Michael Page International as an intern

ProsIf you are in it to win it, work Michael Page. Ability to learn, quarterly bonuses, great atmosphere, if you want experience or the ability to be an entreprenuer-this is where to be

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Learn the ropes, then get out into a sane company ASAP

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)
Stamford, CT

I worked at Michael Page International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood brand name, anyone who looks you up online will be impressed and probably comfortable talking to you

Decent infrastructure - lots of offices and support staff

Eat what you catch culture

ConsTerrible practices in play. They still use metics and stats as the basis of every management decision, you might as well be talking to a computer if you want qualitative advice.

Call call call call call.......close close close close close. In a business around building relationships and longevity, as well as industry reputation, they put almost no stock into these things and just want the fee NOW, no matter what you had to do to get it and what the implications are. This attitude comes right from the top, and trickles all the way through.

There is a lack of dignity to it too. They would think its office banter, but it really isn't. If you are over 25 or basically anything older than a grad, you'll find the atmosphere very base. The MD's jeer people all the time about their figures, people get threatened with being fired in open air, you got harrassed for not being on the phone every second of the day, the way they talk about the candidate and clients is pretty unprofessional, its like a locker room full of jocks.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up a bit. Recruitment might have looked like this in the 90's when most of the MD's were juniors and there were so many opportunities that you would be fine, but now during a downturn you need to have an impeccable reputation and be professional to be credible, and this place is known as a juvenile training ground full of boiler room tactics with no long term strategy and vision other than pound the phones and push every call to close deals.

Times change, MPI hasn't.

Terrible company, Unprofessional, Rude, and Incompetent

I worked at Michael Page International

ProsNone that I can genuinely think of

ConsThey do not recognize true fits and talents for their available roles.
They do not strive to build relationships with candidates.
Horrible work environment, and modest pay.
This company is a prime example of a failed enterprise due to poor management decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust quit and stop making others miserable.

Top opportunity for the right people

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Michael Page International full-time for less than a year

ProsPros for Michael Page -
Impressive onboarding/training provided for all new hires.
Great sales culture - an actual work hard, play hard environment - every company I've worked for claims they have one, this is the first time I've ever experienced it.
Easily accessible and helpful management in the office and across all our others.

Pros for Michael Page Houston-
We have a small but fast growing presence here in Houston and a phenomenal office culture. All our managers have earned their stripes in the agency recruitment space and are more than happy to help teach/coach any consultant needing help.

ConsThe same you'll find with any sales job - the hours could stand to be a little relaxed and the stress could be a little lower, but again, that's what you'll find with any sales job. Nothing anyone used to a sales environment or even a varsity sports background will find surprising.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Excellent International opportunites, strong brand, honest and ethical agency.

Senior Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Michael Page International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis company have nurtured, developed and looked after my career and continue to do so. I have been with the company and worked in 2 different countries. I have found the brand, ethos and mentality of the company to be consistent. This consistency in my opinion is based upon great people who invest their time, effort and ( company) money into those who are committed and professional. The individuals who thrive at Michael Page have honesty, professionalism, engaging personalities and who are looking to progress in a global organization.
Prior to joining Michael Page I had worked for other agencies so I am very aware of what is 'good' and what is 'bad' and I like the way in which Michael Page operate. This is what attracted me to this company.
I have worked in various Michael Page offices and the culture displayed is always that of a hard working environment but a fun, viberant and sucessful one. You are treated as a mature professional where you are encouraged to manage your own workload and you are rewarded for your hard work with generous bonuses and always a 'thank you'.
My transistion to the Houston office has been made extremely easy with a very supportive management team who are always there both professionally and personally to support, guide and mentor.

ConsIn my opinion, the pro's completely out weigh the cons. If I had to state any, it would be the nature of recruitment that would occur in ANY agency- the fluctuating markets, losing jobs, candidates letting you down etc but this is just part of being involved in this industry. The positives make my job worth while.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a globally publically traded FTSE 250 company who have been around for over 37 years, I think Michael Page are going in the right direction!!!

Worked for Michael Page International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michael Page International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michael Page International CEO Steve Ingham. All 162 reviews posted anonymously by Michael Page International employees.