Michael Page International

Steve Ingham

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Driven, Intelligent colleagues

London, England (UK)

I have been working at Michael Page International full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking in teams with intelligent, ambitious colleagues
FTSE 250 company, good organisational structure and international opportunity
Forward thinking Marketing team

ConsIn some areas, flexibility and being reactive to market trends becomes difficult where approvals are required

Good training for grads, provides opportunity to build a network but too political, poor pay and awful work/life balance

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Michael Page International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Good graduate training scheme
- Lots of good recruiters / fun colleagues to work with
- Highly sociable

Cons- They pay well under market rate and the team bonus structure means that you very rarely get what you deserve (it often feels like you're doing all the work to line the MD's / management's pockets)
- Very rigid structure, they promote a meritocracy but it's hard to progress (lots of promises often get broken)
- Dog eat dog at times which means back stabbing is commonplace, difficult to trust management
- High turnover of staff, lots move to competitors who offer much more money and quicker career progression

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the Consultants more, change the bonus scheme so staff are better rewarded and provide more support (especially to new joiners)

Michael Page Graduate Scheme - Not Exactly what I Expected

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Michael Page International full-time

ProsThe Learning and Development team cannot be faulted. The training for graduates was excellent and they equip you with skills that can be used in any career.
The opportunities to network are endless - fellow graduates have become close friends/colleagues since leaving Michael Page.

ConsThe work life balance is non-existent - in my second week I was expected to work from 8am - 8:30/9:00pm.
There really is nobody to reach out to for advice, support - nobody seems to feel a duty of care for any employee.
Staff - turnover is exceptionally high - there were 100 graduates in my intake and I imagine less than 20 remain.
The compensation and benefits package is awful and compared to other graduate schemes you will be seriously underpaid at MP. The 'discretionary' bonus structure is very unclear and opportunities to make money are far less than advertised.
The rigorous interview process for the graduate scheme leads you to believe you will be working in a highly commercial role, with opportunities to develop business, earn fantastic bonuses and climb the career ladder. Sadly this is not the case.
Michael Page really is a dog-eat-dog world, with consultants doing all they can in attempts to earn a fee.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe graduates that are attracted to this graduate scheme are simply not suitable to the roles they are filling.
Listen to your employees instead of burying your heads in the sand - when 4 people leave a team in a week there is a problem and its not the employee!

Horrendous place - felt like a prison sentence

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Michael Page International full-time for more than a year

ProsNone that I can recall

ConsVery cliquey, jobs for the boys attitude in every office I visitied in the UK

The best place in market to learn recruitment but not to earn big money!

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Michael Page International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros* Strong culture.
* Excellent processes, structure and senior leadership.
* A business that promotes best practise in house and out.
* Career opportunities for aspiring managers.
* A well maintained candidate database and a fast access to legacy IP.
* Client relationships often maintained despite turnover, due to management engagement.
* Invests well in corporate hospitality and brand marketing.

Cons* Culture is strong but in some cases a bit too public school, which can lead to a market perception that is not always positive.
* Such focus on kpi's can sometimes hinder genuine market acceptance as a specialist.
* They hire great candidates looking for a new challenge...but struggle to compete when it comes to earnings. The model is genius and very profitable but this means that experienced high performers will always earn more else where.
* The business has traditionally been positioned as the premium mid market recruitment solution. Unfortunately it is this market that has been impacted most by RPO and linkedin.
* As the industry continues to evolve the MP model is really best placed to partner with tier 2 or 3 clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementMP is by far the best in class amongst the big agencies however in order to continue to grow the business needs to evolve its practises, it's remuneration and its solutions.

Really good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Michael Page International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork with really bright motivated individuals that have a hard work ethic.

Get valued for your contribution to the business by Management.

The work that is produced is of a high quality and standard and you don't realise until you leave how beneficial this is for you.

Performance reviews every six months with a bonus and an annual pay rise.

I worked for Page for 15 years all in and left to do an MSc, despite being ready to move onto pasters news, I did value my time there. I took a role for a small company post my MSc it really brought it home what a difference a structured, organised and management who are passionate and have a strong strategy makes to your work life... I missed that.

ConsMore support staff who work hard should be recognised as making a difference to the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing whatever it is you do. Having experienced working for another company... what you do works!

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Michael Page International full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgreat training process in recruitment

Conslong hours and not much flex

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the needs of consultants

Page personnel finance

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Michael Page International full-time for less than a year

ProsGood brand behind you (Michael page)
Warm relationships with clients already to build on
Clear commission structure
Nice people
Opportunity to move around (UK & abroad)

ConsIf you are after quick commission and pay rises like you expect in sales - think again. Recruitment is quite slow
Expect to work long hours with little appreciation -'it's just expected of you!
Enthusiasm is expected 24/7

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more

Decent place to get a good grounding in recruitment

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Michael Page International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get a good level of training when you first start

ConsMicro management and very poor work / life balance

Advice to Senior Managementbetter work life balance

not really good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Michael Page International

Prosit's seems no good reasons to recommend this company

Consit's not well organized company

Worked for Michael Page International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michael Page International reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michael Page International CEO Steve Ingham. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Michael Page International employees.