Michaels Stores

1,020 Reviews
2.9
1,020 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 83 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 73 reviews)

• If you are not a manager of a department or of the whole store, you will not be full time (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I'm glad I started here

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was my first job and I started almost a month ago and I think that this is one of the best jobs to start off with. It puts you in the situation of "Oh crap, what do I do?" since there's SO MUCH to do ALL THE TIME. It's really simple really... show that you care and request hours and show up early and be last to leave. Call and ask questions and just be the best there. Don't worry about being the best you can be because you don't know how good you can be until you've been put in overwhelming situations (like really long lines or lists, etc..). It's really a great environment and if you think their expectations are too high, then you're definitely not right for the job. Yes, it is very demanding, but that's what I believe is a great start and will definitely help me down the road.

Cons

The customers are very picky about their e-mails. It's hard to get their e-mails which is why I've told my friends that just started to always have conversations before asking for the e-mails. They'll feel way more attached. Besides that, I honestly can't think of anything wrong with it. I love the job!

Try to be more understanding. People are different. Some are shy and some aren't so maybe try to notice when some people are shy. I'm not but I know one person that complains about that. Also, we should switch over to texts! Multiple people have requested it and I think it will get us a lot more business because everyone has a phone these days!

Bad Management!!!

Current Employee - Cashier in North Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in North Aurora, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is great, makes a huge difference. If you are into crafting, use it as much as possible.

The shifts are usually 5 1/2 hours, decent if you juggle two jobs. Good place to learn how complicated retail and bad managers is like.

As a cashier, always fun to talk to customers who are passionate about similar crafts.

Cons

No/little training. I went my first week just thrown on the cash register with no training what so ever, and git written up for things I never learned. Managers are very snippy, act like you waste their time. Never acknowledge your achievements, only your failures.

The email collection is a joke. Asking for emails from everyone no matter how many times they come to the register is a hassle and irritates customers. Each week you are expected to have an insane percentage, what days you work or what times aren't taken into consideration. If it's 8pm everyone just wants to get home, not tell you letter by letter their long address.

Floral sales? Get real! I'm amazed anyone buys them at all. Being a cashier shouldn't involve selling something no on wants.

You have too many tasks: cleaning, check out speed, email collecting, floral selling, fixed time announcements, doing work the person before didn't do, phone calls...Asking for help while your assistant manager sits being paid to paint a pumpkin is irritating.

Check your Workbrain---if it works. Mine is for whatever reason not letting me in, do I'm terrified my schedule will be changed without my knowledge, happens a lot.

TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES, DONT PLAY FAVORITES. Forget the email sign ups, don't judge employees on just numbers. Take into fact the hours they work and how this may affect them. Praise efforts. Make corrections when customers are gone. Workbrain is glitchy.

Short experience due to employment elsewhere, but great

Former Employee - Cashier in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Naperville, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly managers, working with materials related to my interests.

Cons

I would have liked to have been immediately trained to be in framing (what they said they'd like me doing, since I had experience with matting artwork etc).

Company used to be great

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros ending when Chuck Rubin took over and brought in his own people.

Cons

All upper management has no respect for what has to happen on a daily basis at store level and the hours required to complete the workload. Management has to run a register or help out in framing instead of managing the store.

Start at the top with Chuck Rubin and make changes because ever since he took over everything went down hill. There is no respect for anyone at store level.

Stressfull, a strong team around you is vital. Will wear you down over time but fun never the less.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is solid for management.
    The constant change in moving products around is a dream come true for merchandisers. By far the most fun part of the job.
    You really learn a lot of the business fast. Custom Framing, custom floral and the fun/importance of those two departments.
    Training program is the best I've seen. Several weeks worth plus a week in Dallas to make sure you get things right.
    Had a great relationship with local stores in the district. Felt like your peers would look out for each other.

Cons

Work life balance is tough if you really care about your job. Expect over 60 hours a week. That doesn't include Christmas time which is more for sure.
    Almost no wiggle room with scheduling policies.
    With access to reports from home, it was safe to say I never really had a day off for a year. You found yourself making the schedule or checking numbers all the time. (To be fair that was my fault too as I was always checking in on my store, but it was hard not to.)
    This company micro-manages like no other. Its annoying but I can see why its needed. So many details need to get done, its easy to miss something.

To be honest, I wish I still worked there. Very profitable company, as long as you're willing to put in the hours, and you're passionate about crafting, its a great job. Advice to upper management would be to treat the managers with equal respect. Seemed some stores had the new District Manager in their pocket, which caused frustration among peers.

Wonderful

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago Ridge, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love my co-workers, and the work itself is a no brainer. I always look forward to working!

Cons

The pay is too low.

Used to be my dream job, ended up in a miserable high-turnover store!

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Access to a wealth of crafting supplies & experienced, savvy crafter coworkers. Stores with full, well-run classroom programs can offer new learning experiences for employees.

Cons

Training is mainly computer based through self guided slide show presentations with intermittent tests. Most management is unwilling or too pressed for time to supplement training individually. Employees are also encouraged to finish all portions in less time than is allotted for training modules. If you're in the wrong group environment, the catty politics that tend to erupt can destroy working moral. Moving up in the company from entry level is essentially gone with a new flattened organizational structure throughout all stores. Hourly store management is forced to rotate through positions in many stores in order to be "promote-able" even though it rarely happens within 8 years of achieving management level.

Store level operations are not being reviewed higher up in management. I have worked in several stores with countless complaints being made against Store Managers, Assistant Store Managers & District Managers. Many of these concerns were never seen to be addressed by any level of senior Michaels' Management. In fact, many cases led to the employee being retaliated against by the Manager in question after finding out who had talked. The "Open Door Policy" is often treated as an obvious way to remove employees who have concerns by Management looking to protect themselves rather than motivate staff. When I first came to Michael's, I loved every day I got to go back in & spend my shift with wonderful, motivated people who genuinely wanted to be at work. When I left, I had been insulted, undermined, overworked, written up in absence, injured & forcefully threatened out of management. Seeing many of my coworkers leaving at the end of the day looking disheveled, exhausted, emotionally crushed or upset became too much for me & as I could no longer keep myself from feeling the same way; I left Michael's after 5 long years.

Fun Seasonal Job

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Norridge, IL
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Norridge, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores (less than an year)

Pros

employee discount, easy to sell a fun product, happy crafting customers

Cons

closings can make you stay over an hour past your expected release time

Great company

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great compensation. Customer base is a pleasure to work with. Ability to be a merchant and drive sales.

Cons

Knee jerk management style - ditch to ditch decision making that then chases the right avenue.

Could be better.

Current Employee - Cashier in Evergreen Park, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Evergreen Park, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This store is a decent opportunity for people looking for that "first job" to get their foot in the door for future endeavors. Creativity is everywhere, and that's great if you like that type of atmosphere. Beware though: Glitter is also everywhere. For the most part, coworkers are very helpful and warm.

Cons

Sometimes management can be very unhelpful. I have gotten complaints from customers almost every day that I work about a "terrible" manager or employee, and have been told that I do a better job than people who have been here much longer than I have. Expectations are not always clear, and when they are not met, fingers get pointed instead of something constructive being done. Support can be lacking, and it is very difficult to stay motivated when people are unwilling to help at all. I received very little training and had to figure many things out on my own, and have been outright blamed for messing up.

Communicate with the team, don't point fingers, and take time to teach those who need to learn.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!