Michaels Stores
www.michaels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally"
    in 52 reviews
  • "if you love arts and crafts this job is perfect for you"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season"
    in 54 reviews
  • "Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to"
    in 53 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hit or miss

Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
Garner, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsDepending on the store/managment is a wonderful company to work for

Consso many "rules" and "regulations changing to often, like dress code, which comes out of our pockets

I love working there

Certified Custom Framer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsVery supportive, good environment,

ConsIt's retail with retail hours

My experience can't be described in one sentence.

Cashier, Framer (Former Employee)
Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor for less than a year

ProsEasy to get hired, gives you experience, opens your eyes to just how rude middle-aged and cranky old ladies can be.

ConsEverything about working at Michaels sucked. I'm not going to sugar coat it. I went in with high hopes. As a person who loves art and crafting, I figured there's no better place to work than a craft store. I was wrong. Don't be misled. They say you don't need craft experience but it helps...no it doesn't. You'll likely get angry parents shopping for school projects and scrapbookers, and those people who like to shop for floral stems and make you bag them all individually. You'll get customers who complain about the price of things to you like it's your fault. They'll complain about company policy, which you have no control over. You'll realize how lazy people truly are one you have to do recovery. I started as a cashier, by the way. That was my title, but don't worry little ones, you'll have to do recovery and many other horrible things. For example, cleaning the bathrooms. The men's restroom always smelled like a dirty animal shelter and if you're lucky like my store was, your managers will lose the keys to the trash and you'll have to dig it out and put it in another bag...our rip the bag out and pick it up off the floor. Your choice. I started as a seasonal employee...prepare to have glitter everywhere if you work at Christmas. People will dust you with that crap like they're the freaking sandman. They will throw stuff at you and they will not apologize. They will get really mad about coupons too. They will ask, 'what do you mean I can't use ten 40% off coupons? Well, I don't want this stuff anymore.' Prepare to wait forever for a void. Then you'll get people who expect you to do 10 separate transactions so they can use all their coupons. Don't. You're only allowed to accept one coupon per person per day...and expect people to get mad about that. To get away from all this, I switched to framing when the holidays were up.I got a great raise...and cut hours. Let me tell you, if you think people at the register are bad, they're a whole new level of horrible when placing framing orders. I can't even tell you all the verbal abuse and stupid crap I and my fellow framers put up with. The best thing to come from this job is the people I met. The pay sucked, management sucked, hours sucked, customers sucked, my life as a Michaels employee sucked. I hated getting up to go to work everyday. And don't expect a full time position, they're few and far between. A Michaels unicorn, if you will.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe whole email collection thing is ridiculous. We get a lot of repeat customers, so it's not like I can get a whole lot of new emails everyday. It's not right for your employees to get written up for not having 25% email collection when it's the customer's right to reserve that information and if they've already given it. I don't want to be penalized for not forcing a customer to give emails. I asked everyone. Also, hiring a bunch of part-time employees and hardly any full time is not great. It got to a point that barely anyone was getting enough hours to pay bills. It was beyond ridiculous. My particular location had a new manager who hired so many new part-time employees that he over scheduled a bunch of hours and then cut everyone's hours to fix his mistake. I got maybe 10 hours a week if I was lucky.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsChill most of the time. Most managers are cool and fun just do your job and they will stay off your back.

ConsCrazy old ladies with there coupons coming in. Christmas season is crazy. Corporate used to make you just wear jeans with an apron on it but they decided it wasnt professional enough so now you have to wear khakis and a black polo.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Only Store Manager and part timers need apply

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are into crafting and don't need to work for the money then the 20% discount is worth your time.

ConsOnly the Store Manger and Assistant who are salaried get to have any kind of work/life balance. All other managers ( Customer Experience,Framing,Operations,) are hourly and are expected to work 3 weekends a month while the Store manager is off 3 weekends a month. Don't plan on advancing too quickly either. Seems the District managers would rather hire outside the company for Assistants and Store Managers rather than advancing someone from within who has experience.( I'm a 20 year retail management veteran WITH a Bachelors and in 7 years I got a lot of promises and no advancement even though my annual reviews were exceeds expectations) Raises are laughable: not a percentage increase. IF you are lucky you will get a whole .25 cents! In 7 years my hourly rate only increased by $2.15. Paid Holidays- only 2, Thanksgiving Day ( which they are open) and Christmas Day.Easter they are closed but you do not get paid. Medical has probably been affected by the Affordable Care Act, but when I started they did not give you insurance coverage for a WHOLE YEAR ( vs the 90 days that other retailers gave me), or paid vacation, or holidays. Until you are with them 3 years you do not get more than 40 hours of vacation. They also have sick time and 1 personal holiday but they cannot be interchanged.
            They don't invest much time in training and I found most store managers to be completely ignorant of Federal and State Labor laws as well as other Human Resources areas such FMLA and accommodating people with disabilities who work for them. Also, you better not get sick EVER and try to stay home and rest. Often there are only a couple of part time people scheduled with a manager and you will find yourself coming in for a closing shift with 1 cashier and a framer with the expectation to recover the entire store and finish go backs but to also do the job of the Replenishment manager and crew and finish their planograms and freight while trying to help customers with their projects. World Class Customer Service indeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in educating your Store Managers on Human Resources especially in states with stricter labor laws. Hire a Regional Manager for each Zone to keep the DM's accountable and let the Zone VP's concentrate on the business and financial operational costs. Store managers steal from the company every day by leaving early. Make them earn their salaries and give them only one weekend off a month like everyone else.

My First Job Good Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsI was allowed to have unnatural hair color, Under 18 years of age at time of employment, My hours increased fast, Pretty neat customers, Every day was interesting, Friendly co-workers, Buy your own uniform, Made above minimum wage, The one time I had to call in sick things went well, Stayed busy with lots of work - made the shifts go by fast,

ConsI did not feel very welcome at first, Near impossible to request time off even in advance

Satisfying 'beer money' job

Cashier (Current Employee)
Columbia, MD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros-Very flexible scheduling; it's possible to get a part-time job here even with very limited availability. Some associates work as little as 5-10 hours a week whenever they are free.
-Reasonable pay for a cashiering job. Some opportunities for raises and promotions.
-Easy and generally-stress free work. Can be a little mind-numbing, as one might expect, but certainly not difficult. There's always something (easy) to do even if the lines aren't long.
-Friendly work environment; I found my coworkers helpful and easy to get along with for the most part.
-"Customer-centric shopping experience," as the company puts it. I think that the way employees are taught to interact with customers is a good business model. I chose this job because I like arts and crafts, so I really do enjoy discussing projects with customers, recommending and leading them to products, and learning from them in return.
-Mutually respectful relationship between managers and their subordinates (although I have heard otherwise from former employees of other locations).

Cons-Lack of training. I'm sure this would depend on location but I was not trained at ALL for my position. "Orientation" consisted of my manager walking me to the front end and saying "You'll be ringing on register 2 today." Learned everything on the job and found out later that there was a whole packet of information I was supposed to receive, plus training videos, tours, etc. Didn't get a locker, name tag, or timecard for a few weeks and still haven't gotten my employee I.D. that allows me to receive discounts at other locations.
-Lack of clarity and consistency regarding policies and their enforcement, esp. those regarding coupons and the return of custom merchandise.
-(Still inconsistent) enforcement of very strange and inefficient policies. Cannot drink water while working, even if customers are not present. Associates are expected to memorize lists of information word-for-word that, for the most part, will not have any impact on the way they work. Recent changes in the policy regarding how merchandise is to be scanned were written by corporate workers who have probably never worked a register... scan rate has slowed down significantly storewide.
-Lazy employees sometimes get away with slacking off.
-Customers. Obviously, this is not the company's fault, but as with any retail job, expect to deal with rudeness and condescension from customers, at least on occasion. Expect to be held personally responsible for things you have no control over. Expect to clean up after messes. Expect to have to explain policies over, and over, and over. Most patrons are pleasant and easy to work with, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to change the way your employees do their jobs by simply handing them lists and expecting them to memorize them while providing no context, reasoning, or solid examples.
Don't write off feedback from subordinates!
Keep on focusing on the customer... but don't write off your employees.
Keep on working to change and improve policies.

Decent work, not enough hours.

Senior Certified Framer (Former Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsMichaels is a reasonable company to work for, if you can get enough hours. There's a wide range of tasks and getting to management level isn't hard if you are skilled and a little ambitious.

ConsLike most companies there seems to be a disparity between work to be done, and hours you get to do it. Benefits are okay, but the ebb and flow of hours as seasons change really hurts your paycheck. The point system for attendance and time-keeping is a little harsh, but I guess it works out in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the technical qualities of Store Managers and Assistant managers is not to be underestimated, Michaels upper management would be wise to not neglect the personalities of the people they put in command of these stores. If management has a crap attitude, that will trickle down to the people "in the trenches" and compromise both the work done, and the customer service delivered. Also, maxing out the hours of the full time employees that want the maximum hours possible would go a good way towards keeping them around.

Store manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores

ProsGreat company with lots of opportunities

ConsNo cons. Very good place to work

I have enjoyed working at michaels crafts

Stock (Current Employee)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood team chemistry
Great gruop to work with

ConsThe recent change in ceo has resulted in many cost cutting measures
Positionsat the store level have been combined so that one person does the work and responsibility ofwhat used to be three people. Hours have been cut across the board to the degree that there are not enough people scheduled to perform daily tasks and resposibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not loose sight of the forest for the trees. cost cutting in itself is wise. cutting beyond what is healthy for business at the store level is not.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michaels Stores CEO Chuck Rubin . All 729 reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees.