Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally(in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season(in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to(in 64 reviews)

A Corporation That Doesn't Value Its Employees

Cashier (Former Employee) Dublin, CA

ProsI liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts.

ConsThey start you off with a low salary and if your lucky you get a less than 30 cent raise a year. They intentionally have a bare-bones staff so that on paper it appears they have a low operating cost. It was always chaotic and unorganized. The people from corporate are unrealistic in their expectations especially in proportion to the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want quality employees, give them quality pay. For a company that made upwards of 5 million dollars per year in a single store, I know you can afford to bump the pay. Also, give more hours to your stores. I know you're trying to be impressive on paper, but don't forget that it's the work of the "lesser" people that fills your pockets.

Taking the passion out of art

ProsNot very many to speak of...

ConsI worked for Michael's originally because I fancy myself somewhat of an artist- but quickly learned that like all companies, they just want to turn a profit and don't care about art. I worked in the frame shop and was punished for not always selling the most expensive items. I would retort that I was trying to give the customer what they wanted and could afford. That was never enough. Between this, struggling to get hours and complete production of framed art- enough was enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry inspiring creativity instead of just generating rev inure and maybe you'd have more returning customers.

If you are seeking a job at Michaels, just be prepared.

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsIf you are part time and you don't really need the money, then this is the perfect job. Plenty of time off, and no worries for them to mess up daily plans.

ConsIf you are planning on moving up, then be prepared for a very political journey. It is a must for you to brown nose your way to the top, and if you play your cards right you can get all the way to store manager in just as little as a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the working of your stores, look more into the situations than just what your store managers tell you because they could be the very ones causing the problems from the get go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience can't be described in one sentence.

Cashier, Framer (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsEasy to get hired, gives you experience, opens your eyes to just how rude middle-aged and cranky old ladies can be.

ConsEverything about working at Michaels sucked. I'm not going to sugar coat it. I went in with high hopes. As a person who loves art and crafting, I figured there's no better place to work than a craft store. I was wrong. Don't be misled. They say you don't need craft experience but it helps...no it doesn't. You'll likely get angry parents shopping for school projects and scrapbookers, and those people who like to shop for floral stems and make you bag them all individually. You'll get customers who complain about the price of things to you like it's your fault. They'll complain about company policy, which you have no control over. You'll realize how lazy people truly are one you have to do recovery. I started as a cashier, by the way. That was my title, but don't worry little ones, you'll have to do recovery and many other horrible things. For example, cleaning the bathrooms. The men's restroom always smelled like a dirty animal shelter and if you're lucky like my store was, your managers will lose the keys to the trash and you'll have to dig it out and put it in another bag...our rip the bag out and pick it up off the floor. Your choice. I started as a seasonal employee...prepare to have glitter everywhere if you work at Christmas. People will dust you with that crap like they're the freaking sandman. They will throw stuff at you and they will not apologize. They will get really mad about coupons too. They will ask, 'what do you mean I can't use ten 40% off coupons? Well, I don't want this stuff anymore.' Prepare to wait forever for a void. Then you'll get people who expect you to do 10 separate transactions so they can use all their coupons. Don't. You're only allowed to accept one coupon per person per day...and expect people to get mad about that. To get away from all this, I switched to framing when the holidays were up.I got a great raise...and cut hours. Let me tell you, if you think people at the register are bad, they're a whole new level of horrible when placing framing orders. I can't even tell you all the verbal abuse and stupid crap I and my fellow framers put up with. The best thing to come from this job is the people I met. The pay sucked, management sucked, hours sucked, customers sucked, my life as a Michaels employee sucked. I hated getting up to go to work everyday. And don't expect a full time position, they're few and far between. A Michaels unicorn, if you will.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe whole email collection thing is ridiculous. We get a lot of repeat customers, so it's not like I can get a whole lot of new emails everyday. It's not right for your employees to get written up for not having 25% email collection when it's the customer's right to reserve that information and if they've already given it. I don't want to be penalized for not forcing a customer to give emails. I asked everyone. Also, hiring a bunch of part-time employees and hardly any full time is not great. It got to a point that barely anyone was getting enough hours to pay bills. It was beyond ridiculous. My particular location had a new manager who hired so many new part-time employees that he over scheduled a bunch of hours and then cut everyone's hours to fix his mistake. I got maybe 10 hours a week if I was lucky.

Was great at first, now not so much.

Part Time Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

Prosdiscount, coworkers usually are friendly, easy to learn

Conspay you minimum wage to do 3 jobs at once. no training, and expectations are way too high especially since they cut hours pretty much every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions/ job opportunities should be for those who have been there for a while, not for those who just started. Also treat your employees with respect. If you never give any, they won't feel the desire to actually work or try their hardest.

An unethical corporation who does not give recognition for hard work and contributions to the organization.

Product Designer (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsTalented employees, Talented employees, Talented employees

ConsExtremely political with no opportunities for advancement; Promotions are strictly based on favoritism not talent, skill set, or work performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost innovative and progressive organizations understand that treating employees well is essential to maintaining stability and profitability. More engagement is strongly related to a better bottom line for the company. Until this issue of unethical politics is addressed, more employees will continue to leave and take their talent and skill set elsewhere.

Love customers but hate senior management

Department Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsEmployee discount ,benefits are ok

ConsStore managers are lazy while expecting everyone else to work like crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen to your employees when they come to you with important issues and not sweep them under the rug

Unappreciated, Overworked, Underpaid: Not Worth the Peanuts for Which You Work.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThankfully, there are a few positive comments I have to make regarding this company. They offer reasonably flexible scheduling based on your availability (although you might have to remind your manager if they schedule you incorrectly, in which case the problem can be resolved). So far I have had few issues regarding one's permanent availability.

Secondly, the new discount policy for merchandise is quite good. They finally responded to feedback and tossed their employees a small bone by giving them a REAL employee discount: 30 percent off all items, including those on sale.

Lastly, most of the people I get to work with are gems. They are kind, and are also unappreciated, overworked, and underpaid, so they understand my issues and sympathize. At the very least, there is camaraderie amongst sales associates and cashiers, which is one of the only things that keeps the store from falling apart.

ConsSince the cons to working at Michaels stack up much higher than the pros, I'll try to keep this as short as I can in list formation:

- You are grossly underpaid for your value: a mere 8.25$ to start. While it is more than minimum wage, it is vastly underrating your value to this company and how much work you actually need to do on the job.
    - Speaking of which, you will be performing the jobs of three or four people: sales associate (which you were hired for), cashier, replenishment, and an additional sales associate which they didn't care to schedule because it isn't in their priorities to staff their store appropriately.
    - Customers are constantly expecting a bad experience and a slow checkout...which makes them grumpy at you. They have very little patience for errors in pricing, signage, and slow lines... all of which are frequent at this location - all of which will be blamed on you.
    - You only get 15 minutes of break unless you work more than 6 hours a shift.
    - You will likely have to work on holidays...only to find that the store is practically barren at these times. For example: Thanksgiving night. Until midnight. In a barren store.
    - You will constantly find yourself fixing replenishment's mistakes or recovery mistakes that you did not make because someone did not have the time to do their job properly.
    - You are more likely to be enthusiastically criticized for a mistake in your work than gratefully applauded for doing your job well.
    - Closing shifts involve a lot of panicking and scrambling to try and do the jobs that no one else could finish during the day.
    - Corporate, aka "The Support Center", is constantly butting into your job and telling you how to do it, even if their way reduces your productivity for no practical reason.
    - You will be patted down and your bags will be checked after every shift as if you are a criminal that cannot be trusted.
    - You will be blamed for "shrink", i.e. theft levels in the store, even though there are very few reasonable preventative methods you can take to actually reduce theft that the company will allow. For instance, if you see someone leaving with a box of candy without having paid for it, you cannot tell them to "stop", "halt", or call them out on their behavior. You can only kindly suggest that they approach the register, as it is over here to pay for their candy, or simply exclaim, "Why, that's a lot of candy you have there!" How useful.
    - Beware of short-term availability changes, as they will often go unnoticed and/or ignored until you say something more than once. Leaving notes for management and speaking with management directly regarding a temporary change in availability due to a doctor's appointment or otherwise may not prevent you from being scheduled during the exact time you need to be out. In addition, management will place the responsibility on you for getting a shift switched, rather than simply correcting their mistake in the system. Also, they don't provide you with your fellow employees contact information so that you can make these arrangements more easily.
    - If you are new to retail, the training program is practically nonexistent here. You will be eaten alive, while being yelled at by the manager who was supposed to train you for not doing your job perfectly. Even if you are not new to retail, expect little to no help in getting to know the store layout.
    - Asking questions due to your lack of training, as previously noted, is discouraged, as the training manager is likely to berate you and yell at you for your incompetency, or otherwise ignore your inquiries.
    - Speaking of which, depending on the manager of the day, you will or will not have good management help when you need a manager for a customer, for a void on the register, to answer a question, etc. You may also receive unnecessary attitude for asking questions or requesting assistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the Store Management:
    Something is clearly amiss when your sales associates are constantly finishing up the jobs that replenishment failed to complete and are thusly prevented from doing their own to their best ability. In addition, receiving multiple daily complaints from customers regarding confusing placements of signs, incorrectly stocked products, and incorrectly placed labels is not only a nuisance, but costs the store money at the register when our policy is to give the item to the customer as it is labeled on the shelf. It is embarrassing for employees, and for the reputation of the store, to have items appear this way for the customers. It also sets the cashiers up for failure when determining the actual price of an item, and whether or not the customer is truthfully speaking about a mislabeled product or lying to get a discount. For instance, while cashiering on one occasion, I had two young ladies claim an item was discounted more than it was for that week because a sign stated so. Had I not seen the item on the floor earlier, and its sign, I would not have realized they were lying about the price to gain an additional discount. All in all, it seems as though replenishment is unable to do the tasks they are assigned with the people they have. This means one of two things: one, they are understaffed and need additional manpower; or two, they are ill-trained and inefficient and need additional training to perform their duties adequately.

You have otherwise been regularly supportive of our efforts, and I deeply appreciate this. Some of you even take it upon yourselves to help customers when all the sales associates and cashiers are preoccupied with serving others. However, there are some cases where you forget just how understaffed we are, and how that translates into the work that actually is accomplished in the store. I can count many occasions where, due to the presence of only one cashier in a rather busy, large store, I have been forced to back up that cashier for most of my shift, thereby leaving much of the work I could have accomplished in helping customers and cleaning the store (the work I was HIRED for) left undone. The closing associate has to make up for lost time, often leaving the store inadequately cared for. Rather than hiding the problem from corporate by having a panic-filled "big cleaning day" to conceal poor employee resources management, staff appropriately during open AND closed hours.

Finally, please, for the love of all that is good, adequately train new hires. While it is understandable that employees must learn by experience, having to continually teach cashiers how to perform basic functions that should have been covered in a shadow-training or a practical exercise at the register should not be part of your training program. Most of the employees "trained" in our store leave because the "training process" is an unreasonable nightmare where one is tossed into the water and expected to swim without knowing how, and the water is filled with sharks. Had I not been well trained in another store, I am certain I would not have lasted more than a month. Certainly, none of the other sales floor associates you attempted to hire did. New sales floor associates were tossed on the floor without knowing how to answer the phone, how to use a price checker, where any items were located in the store, without being practically cross-trained in cashiering, and without knowing the meanings of the planograms.

In sum, concrete suggestions for improvement include the following:

- Have new hires come in for training an hour before the store opens so that they have ample time to learn the layout of the store and/or how to operate the register without customer interruptions. If replenishment is already working, and there is a manager available, No extra time would be required to bring an employee out for training them.
    - Alternatively, have the new hire shadow an employee for a day, assisting them and asking them questions so that they are able to learn exactly what they need to know - things not often covered in training.
    - Alternative, invest in/find a way to simulate the store layout or a cash register on the computer so that new hires can explore their functions in the break room on their own, and out of the way of others.
    - Create a balance in hours for the replenishment team, sales floor associates, and cashiers. Right now, it seems as if you have too few hours to adequately spread so that the store is reasonably covered during open hours. Since this is when revenue is actually gained, it might be wise to fix this problem.

Take note, "Support Center":
    Your employees keep the store from falling apart. If you expect them to work at poverty wages and perform jobs that ought to be split between three people every day of the week, then don't be surprised by the high turnover rate and dissatisfied customers. Yes, that's right: dissatisfied customers. A happy employee that isn't stressed out of their mind is more likely to be helpful, accurate, and available to customers who need help. I cannot count the number of times I, as the only sales associate in the entire store, have had to back up the cashier, only to receive phone calls requiring my attention that I couldn't take without leaving the register, or calls to unlock items in lock-up that only I could help with, but was unable to do so. If you set your employees up for failure like this, your customers will be disappointed with their experience. It has been proven that having satisfied customers is good for business, and that having a low employee turnover rate is good for a company. So why not help foster an environment that will accomplish these things?

Concrete suggestions for improvement include the following:

- Allow stores the budget to hire and staff their stores adequately. Our store is a perfect example of one that is grossly understaffed during the day due to the need for hours for the replenishment team. The necessary hours to staff a full replenishment team should not drain your budget to the point of having a skeleton crew during the day. Also, many of the problems stores have with slow checkout lines or bad customer service are due to the fact that there simply aren't enough employees to do the work required to provide the fast and excellent service you are aspiring towards.
    - Pay your employees a living wage. Gap has started paying their employees 10 dollars an hour at a minimum, regardless of position. Walmart may soon be joining them. Minimum wage is not a living wage, and employees are less like to be able to stay if they cannot make ends meet on the wages you pay. You insult us by offering pizza parties, drawstring bags, and cheap, plastic cups from China as rewards when we work around the clock for peanuts at hours you yourself might scoff at working and offer us only a QUARTER for a raise every year we perform with excellence. I have heard from several EXCELLENT employees that they are seeking new forms of employment because they simply can't afford to pay for a tiny apartment and food on their salary. A high employee turnover rate costs companies money, so encourage your employees to stay by rewarding them adequately for their services.
    - Despite being a store devoted to encouraging creativity in others, your micro-management of your stores, constant audits, and constant unecessary policy changes only stifle the creativity in your employees. Forcing them to scan items a particular way, rather than the way that is most efficient for them to scan at the register, is just one frustrating example. Rather than supporting your employees through your policies, you have created only more frustrating and rather meaningless hoops for them to jump through to avoid receiving "audit" points. You seem to care very much about what the store "looks" like when you come in for a check, but just because a store looks exactly like all the "other" stores ought do does not mean it performs well. To use a phrase, a pig with a gold ring in its snout is still a pig.
    - Please make sure that sale prices and item locations are properly updated in the system by the date of those sales or on the date those items must be located in a particular planogram. It is embarrassing when we have to override a price in the system because the sale signs you sent us are not syncing up with the prices ringing up at the register... on a weekly basis.
    - Numbers aren't everything. Even if they are, it is vital that you learn what those numbers actually mean, and why those numbers are appearing. Cashiering score is too low? Find out why, and find a concrete, long-term solution. Maybe it isn't always the fault of the cashier or their managers. Maybe it has something to do with the system they work with.
    - For a "Support Center", you really don't do much listening to your employees. I have heard many employees bring up the same or similar points as I have regarding the company and its direction, and so far, the only changes we've gotten are vests so the customer can "recognize us" (because company shirts weren't enough) and more policies that can get us audited for the way a store appears rather than how it actually functions. Please straighten your priorities: Satisfying your customers, making a profit, AND enabling your employees to accomplish these things for you. Without the last one, you aren't going to accomplish the former two.

A great place to feel unappreciated

Sales Specialist and Senior Framer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI've worked in four different stores. One of them truly embraced my creativity and allowed me to inspire customers, impart knowledge, and increase sales significantly. I started as a part time seasonal associate and was made permanent within a month, and full time just a few weeks later.

ConsI came in to my next store with framing experience and when they needed a senior framer, I agreed to take the position under the condition that it would promote to management when the frame manager promoted. When she promoted, they didn't post the opening, but instead, gave it to a Customer Experience Manager with no frame experience and told me to train her. I left the store for another, taking a part time position and was told my insurance would be reinstated as soon as a full time position opened. When I took a full time position 6 weeks later, the corporate office told me I had to go through the initial waiting period again, even after three years with the company. I been diagnosed with cancer, and, with no insurance, I left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want people who know the products and how they're used, and who possess a creative talent, you might want to treat them better. Pay them well and keep your promises. Because you didn't just lose the best employee you've ever had, you lost a lot of loyal customers. Including me.

Appalling

Part Time Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) Hamilton, ON (Canada)

ProsMy replenishment team was great. We all worked very hard and got along well. Employee discount was very good as well.

ConsThis was quite honestly the worst part time job I ever held. I went into this position with hope, because I wanted a local job that I could walk or bike to. By mid-autumn favouritism became the way of the managers. If you played like them, for example, flinging sparkles at each other when stocking the Christmas picks, then you found yourself in the favoured crowd. The favoured crowd benefitted from more hours, week to week.

The worst for me was when I applied for another position within the store and the store manager and customer experience manager sat side by side, and as I answered questions the customer experience manager was rolling her eyes. I withdrew my application a few days later, after thinking about how it would be to have to work with someone like that.

I was planning on looking for new employment in March of 2014, but an opportunity arose so I gave my notice. Neither the store manager or customer experience manager spoke to me after that. On my last day, I said good morning to the customer experience manager and she walked right by me.

I have had plenty of experience with customer service having years of retail and more recently front line government and service positions. What I witnessed was so horrible I consider Michaels the black hole that was seven months of my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers together are like those mean girls in high school who corner you in the girls change room and tell you how lame you are. They all need to grow up and take some sensitivity training, or maybe stop sniffing the Scensicles.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!