Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally(in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season(in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to(in 64 reviews)

awesome

Cashier (Current Employee) Great Falls, MT

ProsThe people who come into the store.

ConsKeeping up with the changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the good work.

I grew quickly with this company!

Store (Former Employee)

ProsI learned very fast what was important to stay on top of. Building a strong team in your store was the only way to be successful and happy. I did not want to move into District management with Michaels. The bonus system for store managers was not very good, considering what their annual salaries were.

ConsWe put a lot of hours into training good people but couldn't keep them because we never had enough hours to go around.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam building with area store managers, it's not all about competition. Better planning handed down in a timely manner to the store level. (!!!!)

Don't care for this company anymore...

Cashier (Current Employee) Fresno, CA

ProsYou receive 30% discount, a raise every year, check your schedule online, learn new crafts.

ConsMost of the managers are rude for no reason. A few managers get pretty nasty with their words. The pay raises are minimal (13-19 cents/year). Cashiers are always getting blamed for a lot of unnecessary things. Their needs to be a better way to train. They just threw me on a register around Christmas time. Managers have favorites, so it's hard to go up in the company when they pick their friends instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for new comers, need a better system for the long lines

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job started good then was treated unfairly with hours and pay.

Support Specialist (Former Employee) Troy, MI

ProsFriendly associates, flexible shedule and time off

ConsNot given enough hours work per week, no opportunity for advancement, adapting to changes in the company that make work difficult

Advice to Senior Managementwork life balance, promotions, more opportuinty for hours worked

Seasonal Cashier between Thanksgiving and Christmas

Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsFestive and artsy surroundings, flexible hours, employee discounts

ConsManagers played favorites; they would give promotions without really giving every employee and opportunity to apply for that promotion. Difficult to get hours unless it was Christmas or Black Friday. If you think it's the place to further your art career or craft career, it's not unless you become one of the manager's favorites. The pay was nothing to really brag about, but I didn't expect much working retail anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not EVER play favorites.

It's okay

Cashier/Sales (Current Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsThe new discount is great, the starting pay is good, flexible hours, relaxed staff and management

ConsCustomers can be very rude and are very particular about their coupons. The technology in my location is very outdated. Cashiering can be very boring in the off season because of lack of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate puts too much emphasis on minor things such as email collection, and cash register organization rather than focuses on things that could actually improve the company such as better product selection for things to sell. Too much investment in things such as "Boo dolls" and One Direction and now enough investment in things people will actually buy.

Meh its not bad if you like crafts

Sales Associate (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsIt was a fun place to work and the people were quite great there.

ConsTo many crafts, and it reeks of cinnamon.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot really much you can offer as advice to a craft store. Find new ways to bring in customers

No recognition for hard workers or seasoned employees

Replenishment Manager, Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOpen minded work environment, and good discount.

ConsTraining is poor. The company is all about saving every penny they can so they can maximize profit.. Pay is a joke, and knowing how to work the politics is a must to get anywhere. Michaels Cares? Right.....

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees what they are worth. Recognize seniority, hard work, knowledge, and promote accordingly. And stop telling associates that everyone is expendable because that does not encourage employee loyalty and job satisfaction. This should be common sense for a multi-billion corporation.

Bottom of the chain

Cashier (Current Employee) Montgomery, AL

ProsNice atmosphere good part-time benefits

ConsPoor management skills litte training no upward advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help new cashiers as far as training. The sonk or swim method does not work for everyone. Not only do employees lose out on creditable information but the company loses due to improper training. There is no room for advancement. The management and associates are nice and it is a friendly environment with decent benefits for part-time workers but overall there is no real job stability and the pay is not enough to sustain or support you much your work does not go unappreciated but it ddefinitely isn't worth the pay. The jib outlook isn't great and the turnovers are constant. Management is apathetic and don't really give tou opportunities to grow and mostly don't carry oit their own managerial duties they dump them on other associates. Great job if you plan on staying there for a short amount of time

Use to be a great compnay

ProsThe people I work with...We try so hard every day to assist customers and just run the place efficiently..

ConsNot enough associates to do the above, too few hours, unrealistic goals....junky, over priced, cheap dollar store merchandise has replaced the quality arts and crafts supplies this company use to sell...

Advice to Senior ManagementIf corporate even sees these pages, go back to being a quality arts and crafts supply store...get rid of the junk, bangles, clothing, stuffed animals, glow sticks that do not glow, cheaply made storage solutions, art tables and floral containers.........I miss the old Michaels, when I actually use to buy things there....

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!