Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally(in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season(in 63 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to(in 63 reviews)

I would look for growth at this company

Support Specialist (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

Proswork life balance is ok, if you're not in mgmt. meaning as a part time cashier, sales assc.

Consno training for anything, you're just pushed into the work and expected to know what to do.
    no part time benefits, time off is requested

Advice to Senior Managementget your thoughts together, spend more payroll hrs. to meet expectations, it's a race against the clock to get things in order when the higher ups are paying a visit to the store. Get rid of the dead weight employees who do nothing.

Michaels -don't trust them!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers, we actually got along pretty well. The actual job was okay most of the time. Some customers were genuine & pleasant. I don't have to shop there anymore.

ConsCompany spends too much on stuff that isn't needed, like 5 star, excess signage, etc.., what a waste. And paying bonuses to managers, while it's really the employees that work the hardest so the manager can get those big bonuses while we may get up to a 25 cent raise if that. They can close your store for no reason. Don't trust them! They don't care about their employees. Late trucks are common.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't spend money on stuff that isn't needed, like pedometers and pens, it's wasteful. We know you don't appreciate us, so don't try to convince us that you do by giving us more cheap stuff from China. Concentrate on your store employees and what they need to get the job done in the stores. Employees are the real assets. Treat them better. All these changes to SOPs every year are a waste too. Oh, and how about supporting the USA and buying more items made in the United States. And put the help desk back in the United States too.

The Actual work was fun and challenging, but I had issues with the way things were run/organized/scheduling.

Cashier (Former Employee) Saratoga, CA

ProsFun environment, interesting customers.

ConsSchedule was posted only one week at a time, and usually with little notice, subject to change frequently. Little to no training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Will hire anybody

ProsYou can move up fast if you become friends with the management.

ConsThey are always changing the management and never telling the employers. You go to work and they will be a new boss that doesn't introduced themselves. The employees are the ones that end up training their new bosses.

Worst job ive ever had

Cashier (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsOther stores might be better,

ConsLow pay, short notice of work schedule, rude employer

It's more enjoyable to shop there. Never buy an item not on sale: Get a coupon orWait one or two weeks and it's on sale.

Framer (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsMy area had some celebrity shoppers. Seasonal smells?

ConsWhile employees are supposed to be suggest products to sell to customers, poor management prevents it. You are not trained. If you are trained, it is by someone who wasn't trained. Many customers come to the store with projects in mind but no idea what supplies are best; untrained staff can't help them. the main duty of most staff is reshelving.

Almost all staff is part-time; my store had PT employees typically working 3-16 hrs a week. The stores are really dirty, and the stock and shelving style is difficult to keep maintained. In framing, you are tasked with upselling what is already overpriced services/parts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees Employ more full-timers who can provide knowledgeable insight to customers.Offer low prices instead of stupid rotating sales. Ever notice that the frame shop is always 30-60% off? It's not a sale when is never regular price; the sale IS the regular price.

management

Category Management (Former Employee)

Prospay, schedules, were all ok

Consmanagement, no flexibility at all

Advice to Senior Managementstick to policy

Another corporation that cares only about profit, not people

ProsStaff discount
    Free classes
    Lack of supervision
    Can go as slow as you want
    Lack of security cameras to monitor you

ConsUnderstaffed
    Unrealistic expectations
    A lot of product waste
    Poor training
    Low wages
    Low hours
    Email collection requirements
    Management is impersonal and uncaring

Advice to Senior ManagementYou would have less turnover if you pretended to care about your staff. The way you staff your store is a joke.

WORST company EVERR

Seasonal Cashier (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsNone. Company is horrible and so is corporate

ConsHorrible company ! I just quit today. To much work required of cashiers such as answering the phones while busy and etc. low pay, horrible management, and disrespectful co workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds new management!

Don't work here

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsLot's of interesting craft merchandise in stock.

ConsManager disrespectful, expect you to be fast all the time, poor training for employees, disorganized store with wrong labels for the merchandise. Work part-time hours, not enough to live on after taking out medical.j Have to live on Food Stamps. What fun!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees so they understand how the store works. I worked at another retail store and set up planograms for new merchandise. This store I have no idea how this store works.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!