Michaels Stores
www.michaels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally"
    in 55 reviews
  • "I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to"
    in 60 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's more enjoyable to shop there. Never buy an item not on sale: Get a coupon orWait one or two weeks and it's on sale.

Framer (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsMy area had some celebrity shoppers. Seasonal smells?

ConsWhile employees are supposed to be suggest products to sell to customers, poor management prevents it. You are not trained. If you are trained, it is by someone who wasn't trained. Many customers come to the store with projects in mind but no idea what supplies are best; untrained staff can't help them. the main duty of most staff is reshelving.

Almost all staff is part-time; my store had PT employees typically working 3-16 hrs a week. The stores are really dirty, and the stock and shelving style is difficult to keep maintained. In framing, you are tasked with upselling what is already overpriced services/parts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees Employ more full-timers who can provide knowledgeable insight to customers.Offer low prices instead of stupid rotating sales. Ever notice that the frame shop is always 30-60% off? It's not a sale when is never regular price; the sale IS the regular price.

management

Category Management (Former Employee)

Prospay, schedules, were all ok

Consmanagement, no flexibility at all

Advice to Senior Managementstick to policy

Another corporation that cares only about profit, not people

ProsStaff discount
    Free classes
    Lack of supervision
    Can go as slow as you want
    Lack of security cameras to monitor you

ConsUnderstaffed
    Unrealistic expectations
    A lot of product waste
    Poor training
    Low wages
    Low hours
    Email collection requirements
    Management is impersonal and uncaring

Advice to Senior ManagementYou would have less turnover if you pretended to care about your staff. The way you staff your store is a joke.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WORST company EVERR

Seasonal Cashier (Current Employee)
    Sugar Land, TX

ProsNone. Company is horrible and so is corporate

ConsHorrible company ! I just quit today. To much work required of cashiers such as answering the phones while busy and etc. low pay, horrible management, and disrespectful co workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds new management!

Don't work here

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsLot's of interesting craft merchandise in stock.

ConsManager disrespectful, expect you to be fast all the time, poor training for employees, disorganized store with wrong labels for the merchandise. Work part-time hours, not enough to live on after taking out medical.j Have to live on Food Stamps. What fun!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees so they understand how the store works. I worked at another retail store and set up planograms for new merchandise. This store I have no idea how this store works.

Zero training, but high expectations.

Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the staff is very nice. They have an employee discount.

ConsZero training. I was thrown on the floor without any knowledge of what I was doing. Thankfully, I'd been a frequent customer there, so I knew where some things were located. My questions for management are never answered. They just tell me to ask the other manager about it. But, the training is the biggest con to working here. It's very hard to help customers properly when you have been given no tools to be able to do so. Also, I understand the need for headsets, but it is very frustrating to be trying to assist a customer when someone is talking in your ear, asking you to do something else.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease provide mandatory training for new hires. I think it's very important to at least go over basics - such as safety training and where things are in the store. Just a few hours of good training can make a big difference.

Unorganized store, unorganized management

Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsYou'll stay busy. There's never a dull moment working as a cashier. The headsets make it very easy to communicate with other employees without having to run around the store too much.

ConsI was hired as seasonal help and given zero training, save for some basics on how to run the register. That was it. Return policy? What do to before opening and closing? Break policy? No one told me anything. My first night there I was apparently the closing cashier, meaning I had a list of things do to before leaving the store that night; and of course no one briefed me on what those things were until after they should have already been done, at which time I was treated as if I had acted irresponsibly by failing to do my job. Note that I was not told I was the closing cashier either. Basically they put you on a register and say "good luck."

Management does not communicate with one anther and will assume someone else already did something, and they will give associates conflicting instructions on how to do a task, leaving a lot of clueless associates and unfinished work. No one knows what is going on, and everything is always up in the air, which makes for a terrible and stressful work environment.

There are never enough associates to man the sales floor, meaning that cashiers have to do it all: ring up customers, answer their questions and direct them around the store (without being able to leave the cashwrap area), answer the phone, and handle returned product. Because I wasn't trained, I ended up having to ask the rest of the staff a ton of questions, often getting rude and snarky responses from management and full time staff. Is it because I'm seasonal, or because you think I don't know anything? Maybe with 10 minutes of training I would be able to handle these issues on my own.

On top of the lack of training and ill-tempered staff, there's the store itself. It's always dirty and always completely unorganized. Sale signs are put up a day early (meaning a lot of angry customers at the register with items that were marked as "sale" that don't ring up that way; and of course, cashiers aren't alerted to this beforehand), items that aren't on sale are placed into sale sections, and it's impossible to keep product organized with the limited staff we have available.

The pay is also nothing to write home about, especially for the heavy workload. Employees get a 25% discount, which would be great if most of our coupons didn't give a better deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees- ALL of your employees.

Worst job I've worked at

Replenishment Associate (Former Employee)
    Delray Beach, FL

ProsI love arts and crafts so it was nice helping customers with their project ideas

ConsYou work your tail off for low pay, I was getting 11 hours a week when I originally told I'd get atleast 30 and then it would be full time. The management is very disorganized and really do not care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate your store managers and ask employees what improvements can be made

Money does not pave the road to happiness

Store Manager (Current Employee)

Proscustomers (greatest)
    associates (real talent is wasting out in the field)
    pay

Conspayroll
    priorities all wrong. More thought is given to bonus than customer.

A Company not much interested it's employees, only corporate matters.

Frame Shop Manager (Current Employee)
    Bozeman, MT

ProsWorking closly with customers in framing dept is nice, some great employees trying to improve on discordant management/corporate guidiance

ConsArbitrary goals with no real world backing, having same expectations from all stores regardless of the extreme differences in socio-economic dynamics of areas. Not the highest of quality materials.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of something other than performance bonus, realize that your employees are what make or break a store. Actually listen to feedback and address issues.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michaels Stores CEO Chuck Rubin . All 824 reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees.