Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally(in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season(in 63 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to(in 63 reviews)

I enjoy the customer interaction

Store Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEnjoy the chance to grow

Consno concerns at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementModel theBehavior you are looking for

i love working at Michaels

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service (Current Employee)

Prosits great being around cusdtomers and all the different crafts you get to learn to do and the different challenges

Consthe only downside is the infraction system which is good for people that abuse the sick time and call in but the people that never call in are abuse it should not get the infractions

Advice to Senior Managementpraise your employees for what they do and give them feed back on store visits and let them know they did a good job when they do a good job and not only let them know when they do a bad job usually if they do a bad job its due to training

michaels is a fair place to work

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

Proslots of room for adavancement from within the company
    employee apperciation discount is awsome
    friendly ppl working
    extremly good benifits for full time associates and benifts offered to part time
    good employee reconition program
    upper management listens to ideas and issues
    focus on customer service

Consnot so amazing raises for associates
    bonuses are a reflection of store numbers not management skills
    customers are extremly needy
    asked to do alot of things with not alot of hrs (customers take up lots of time asking and showing them where everything is time consuming but great customer service)

Advice to Senior Managementneed to restructure the truck process espically with coloaded shipments. boxes are being touched to many times. Also corp visits seem fake to me bc the stores that genreally have a neat well maintained store year round have to be less appercitated bc visits are announced and gives all the stores time to clean up and impress when really they wouldnt have looked half as nice in a supprise visit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great customers, managers, and co workers

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility with schedule
    Friendly coworkers
    Managers do everything that associates do. I have never been asked to do a task that I have not seen a manager do themselves

ConsPay could be a little better
    And of course sometimes we get cranky customers, but the reality is that every where you will work in life has some customers that aren't so wonderful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! I have no complaints about the managers I have. they have all been more than helpful to me and other employees.

Loved working for michaels

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Webster, TX

Prosgood people over all awesome work experience

Constheir corporate department makes unfair calls

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Overall a good place to work

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Fullerton, CA

ProsGood pay with a great bonus program compared to a lot of other retailers. Lots of opportunity for advancement if you know what you're doing.

ConsPlannogram overload....why the hell are you sending us a whole new plannogram when ONE item gets discontinued? Count on your managers to make the right decisions for the store rather than overburdening them with paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementPump a few more hours into each store and you won't have to cry and moan about why things aren't getting done all the time.

The expectations are high, but the rewards are high as well.

Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee)

ProsQuick promotions if you do your job well, go out of your way to help others, delegate and manage your team appropriately, and have a good attitude. (In other words, all those things a manager should do anyway!) Upper management in my district is supportive and appreciative. The constructive criticism is professional. They let you know what you need to progress.

Store of the Future has been a good experience for me, even if some kinks need ironing out, it shows that Michaels is committed to finding ways to please the customer and allow management to get their mound of tasks done with as little frustration as possible. The new portal system is great too.

ConsThe benefits are good, however the benefits department is just terrible! They take weeks to call you back, lose your paperwork, never answer emails... this list goes on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hold your benefits department accountable. They couldn't care less about helping you, even when it's a serious situation. They wait a week to return your call, if at all. I can't imagine that behavior being tolerated from anyone in a store.

Fun Place to Work, Great opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsI have been with Michaels for several years and have always been treated well. My managers have always been very helpful and any new policies are always explained in detail. I feel like my hard work is noticed. If I don't know how to do something I know that I can ask and not be looked down upon.

ConsI wish it was easier to get rid of the people who do not have good work ethic. I don't understand why you would stay somewhere if your unhappy. If you are that great of a worker you should have no problem getting a job somewhere else where you will be happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep treating your employees with respect and we will keep working hard for you.

Great coworkers, friendly customers, okay pay.

ProsCoworkers get along well
    Customers are for the most part friendly and pleasant
    Pay is about normal for an entry level retail job

ConsMust be able to work some nights and weekends.
    Not much training...Sink or swim. (But it's not that hard to learn)

Advice to Senior ManagementCoupons and rewards program need some kinks ironed out. Employee discount could be a little better.

Enjoy working for the company

Product Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosopportunity to advance. encourages personal and professional development.

Consnot enough hours in the day. lots of projects. crazy deadlines. very typical of this industry.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus more on the people, if the associates are happy, the consumers will know and they will be happy...it should be a fun place to work and shop.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!