Michaels Stores
www.michaels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally"
    in 52 reviews
  • "if you love arts and crafts this job is perfect for you"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season"
    in 54 reviews
  • "Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to"
    in 53 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Disgusted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHour's are consistent, most of the time.

ConsPay is horrible seniority, means nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employee's especially those whom have invested years. Yearly raises on average are between 8 and 21 cents. That's an insult.

Was a good company

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 10 years

ProsFellow employees are great to work with...

ConsUnless you are full time, you feel disconnected from the store/mgmt/company...Hours are cut all the time, not enough help on the floor for the customers....If we don't hit the daily sales projected for the day, people get called to not come in, yet the freight piles up in the stockroom, planograms cannot get set, new merchandise sits in the back because of it...Need to get it to the floor so it can be sold......Corporate has no clue

Advice to Senior ManagementDo spot checks of stores, UNANNOUNCED....Stores are cluttered, dirty, not stocked properly, this needs to change as shelves, peg hooks and buckets are empty..

Minimum wage, unpleasant atmosphere

Cashier (Current Employee)
Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsCoworkers were pleasant for the most part. Everyone below the managers seemed to understand that working there was complete crap.

ConsLow pay, inconsistent hours, inconsiderate management, inconvenient customer and coupon policies.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people to work with, fun products.

ConsUpper management doesn't ever tell the truth, they hardly ever promote from within, they hire managers from other retail stores that have no clue as to what Michaels is all about and then expect us to train them, they never have enough hours to get everything done, on a closing shift they schedule 3 or 4 people at the most to cover the entire store! Frame shop, cash, floor, recovery, customer service and they expect everything to be done on time and perfect. Managers are lazy and inexperienced!

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, quit hiring Assistant managers from outside and give it to employees who have been there for years!

Never get a job here

Coppell, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores as a contractor for less than a year

ProsYou can build retail, marketing, and corporate experiences.

Cons- High politics between co-workers, managers, departments
- Combined 3 people jobs into 1 position= working through lunch hour, staying late, over time hours on the weekend, no time to take compensation hours or vacation
- At least 3 meetings on one day
- Gossip between women. (90% of this company is women)
- Managers who does not have power or knowledge of about the job move up to higher positions
- Miscommunications, no communication between vendors, different departments and corporate.

Terrible

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some tough people with great sense of humor who stick it out with this company, and I made friends with several of them at my old store.

ConsManagement is terrible. You can tell corporate is full of people who have never worked in the stores as they make up policies left and right that do not make sense and are almost anti-customer in that you would think they were trying to scare customers off! For example: the stingy coupon policy and having to collect customer IDs for cash returns. Neither of these go over well! And many of the customers don't seem to understand that corporate policy is corporate policy - they will take out their anger and disappointment on the cashiers and sales floor people who have no control over the rules. Also, the company habitually hires people so there are too many employees and not enough hours to go around. And last but not least there is no formal training for new employees, as Michaels seems to think it foolish to invest in their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a real training program, stop hiring so many people, and stop changing your policies so often! Change your focus from expanding the company with new stores to investing in the stores and employees you currently have. Your employees and customers will thank you for it!

This is not a good company in general

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

ProsNot many pros, your associate discount is less than most retail.

ConsLittle hours, minimum pay, and no chance to move up. You give them a lot of yourself for minimum wage.

promise of raises and full time but it never happens

Floral Designer (Current Employee)
Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI was given freedom to use my own designs to improve sales and i enjoyed many customers that i worked with.

Consas the floral designer at michaels for 4 years i was told that if i made sales of 80,000 a year i wouldbecome a full time associate with benifits. In the 4 yrs that i was with the company i was number one in sales for the district the majority of the time. earned many awards and execeeded sales expectations sometimes by 40% even with that store sales declining i was told if i made 80,000 for the year in custom floral i would be full time. I achieved sales of just over 80,000 the last week of the fiscal year . I was congratulated by my store manager first one in district to make it to full time. Three weeks into the new year i was still at 24 hours a week so i asked district manager when i was going to full time he said I dont agree with this but cororate said it was a leep year so it doesnt count . This is not a joke this really happened. I worked my butt off with promises of raises and full time for 4 years. Michaels changes the rules every day so if you work there and were promised a raise dont count on it.

Advice to Senior Managementknow who your leaders are and take care of the employee as you expect them to take care of your store, and help earn your bonus.

not a fun place to work

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Proslot of great people to work with at store ,fun customers,nice discount 25%

Consmicromanaged,lack of communication in district and regional level,long hours,be ready to do lots of moving of merchandise

Advice to Senior Managementpeople at district and regional levels need to be more honest and not talking out of both sides of their mouth

Bad Management

Stock (Former Employee)
Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe only good thing was my co workers..........we all went through the same thing

ConsThe manager is an ego maniac and a male chovanist. He will degrade you as much as he can and in front of anyone who is around. The stock manager allows his workers to be treated like dogs, and does not stick up for them

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to train their managers to show respect for their employees

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michaels Stores CEO Chuck Rubin . All 729 reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees.