Michaels Stores

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Good match for me at Michaels corporate support center

Current Employee - Director in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location and mostly friendly people. I can relate to the customer. Bonus program for corporate managers can deliver strong $ when company performs well.

Cons

Poor IT department - very little knowledge retention, everything requires a ticket to be submitted and its sheer luck if it gets assigned to the right area, departments have no clear contacts or relationships with IT team.
    Overly reactive to day-to-day sales results.

Figure out how to execute to solve the known problems in store and at the support center. We know where our weaknesses are but we have trouble actually making progress on improving these issues.

Loyalty needs to be both ways

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Peers are great. Discounts are OK

Cons

Top Management has no loyalty. All decisions are made without department heads input or knowing what is happening.

The company may be successful but start caring about your employees. Michaels could even be more successful.

Corporate is not as creative as you'd think

Former Employee - Product Designer in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the category, there are occasional comp shopping trips that can be very inspiring. If you haven't traveled overseas yet in your career, there's regular trips to China for hands on experience (after awhile this can become a negative to most people). The benefits are okay, about the same as most corporate companies in DFW. The work-life balance is good, there's not a whole lot of after hours or weekends. There are occasional events that require a Saturday or Sunday's work but they aren't frequent enough to be a problem.

Cons

The re-structuring of the product development process was a terrible move. The buyers have all the control and the product brand managers think they're designers and basically tell the designers what to do. As a product designer, you will basically be reduced to slapping pictures on a page and calling it a 'style guide'. Unfortunately those pictures are ones the buyer and PBM tell you to use. Designers are basically production artists and art directors to China, without the title of Art Director. The management is useless and they don't appreciate, respect, or foster true talent.

The culture is very negative in the sense that you won't get ahead by actual skills, talent, and/or hand work; it's basically a competition of who can 'play the game' and kiss the most behind. They've isolated the passionate designers that actually have the experience and skills to be great leaders but because they're not doing the 'look at me' routine, they aren't 'engaged enough'.

If you ever want to create a truly creative, inspiring culture, promote the people that put in the actual hard work, have unmatched talent, and experience. There is a well known notion that the only people that get promotions are those that kiss the most behind and compromise their integrity to get advancement. In my opinion, an excellent manager is someone that has rich experience and knowledge that I can actually learn from. I shouldn't have to be teaching my manager about my job.

I'd also recommend to let the designers actually design. The purchased art, art direction to China, and jumping through hoops for the buyers and PBM's is a practice that kills any creative person's morale.

Over worked and loves to blame others

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

large company, can meet new people and co-workers. Access to cafe which was nice considering I never had time to even enjoy an actual lunch hour

Cons

poor guidance, hired and given brief training then expected to know everything. Most where scared of upper management and would stress out highly over everything, even things out of anyone's control. Truly over worked and micro managed, if managers actually tried or listen to their employees on opinions then some things could of worked better.

don't give up to quickly on people and doubt them for every small mishap. Create an actual training program specific to departments.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is amazing. There are always fun contests and events happening at the World headquarters.

Cons

middle Management could of been better.

Decent company but very challenging work environment

Former Employee - Product Designer in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid and secure company. The corporate culture has experienced some much needed overhauling. A lot of those who were part of the problem have been dismissed by the new CEO. I experienced great working relationships with my buyers and project managers but I had to work at it. The benefits are decent. There are a lot of opportunities to travel domestically and internationally. Great place to gain experience and knowledge of several different craft products and categories. Compensation tends to be above average. Annual pay increases and bonus compensation may not be ideal but at least you get them in what can be considered a soft industry.

Cons

For people on the merchandising side of the business you've got to have a strong personality if you want to be successful here. The buyers can be very demanding and their expectations perhaps a bit unrealistic. The people you work alongside in your category can also be very competitive. For product designers, the work load is intense and the stress level very high. Performance expectations can be unrealistic. The managers have a hard time dealing with complaints. They prefer employees who pretend to be happy. Your attitude matters more to them than your talent (I've actually heard them say this). Politics here can be very taxing. So the favorite advice provided from management is to "manage your perception". Upward mobility in the design studio is difficult - experience gives way to favoritism. True "leadership" is lacking with the current group of managers. They know how to 'manage' but leave a lot to be desired in terms of being a true source of inspiration and trust.

To design management: Relax. Let go of the obsession with control. You're in the craft business not the military. The structure doesn't have to be so tight. You're stifling creativity rather than fostering it. You can't control or put demands on the attitudes of your direct reports. Talent DOES matter and the right attitude can be cultivated by managers who know how to lead rather than just delegate tasks. Show a sincere level of caring to help your direct reports be in the best position to succeed on multiple levels rather than only complete their tasks for you. Giving unchallengeable advice you believe is right isn't the solution. Listen intently and do not devalue the input of your direct report no matter how absurd you think it may be. They're trying to tell you something. It's your responsibility as a leader to listen.

Last of vision, lack of execution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees care and try to do the right thing

Cons

Turnover at the Exec level has cause confusion and fear in employees.

If you are going to say you have open communication is has to be across the board, not just on the non-important items.

Good company to work

Current Contractor - IT Project Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Contractor - IT Project Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Culture, Various Systems, Best Retail industry experience

Cons

Integrated systems, not Technology oriented

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Summer hours and relaxed dress code

Cons

Huge workload, to many systems used to manage inventory and write orders.

Where Creativity goes to die.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Design Studio had the most talented people I have ever met and worked with.

Cons

The leadership is a joke. I've never met more unethical people in my life. They have no idea what true leadership looks like. They disrespect people that have good work ethics. They lie and mislead their employees into thinking they can move up in the company when they have no intentions of promoting anyone based on job performance, dedication, or skills. If you lower your standards/ethics and play their games, you can be promoted. The leadership there rewards those that spy and report on others. Its full of favoritism and shady politics. They preach work/ life balance but do not support it. The workload is overwhelming. Employees are expected to do the workload of at least two people. You will be reminded often, how many people are waiting for your job and how quickly you could be replaced.

Change the culture there. Those in leadership roles are allowed to treat their employees with disrespect. It's a very caddy atmosphere there. Leadership that actually cared and lead by example would be a good place to start.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!