Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally(in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season(in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to(in 64 reviews)

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very demanding high-volume manufacturing environment

Quality (Former Employee) City of Industry, CA

ProsMost workers are long time employees and are generally very friendly and helpful

ConsArtistree is the custom picture framing division of Michael's Stores Inc. or "Michael's Arts and Crafts".

Daily production goals are unrealistic and leave NO room for error, which breeds paranoia in the factory full of mostly unskilled labor workers. When individual production numbers are not met consistently, workers have been written up and then fired. Recruitment has been difficult because few people can meet the standard, and those that do, can't handle the fast paced, demanding enviorment long-term.

Promotion opportunities are available within the factory
    Average compensation for unskilled work
    Company does offer paid time-off, and partial medical, dental, vision

Advice to Senior ManagementPer person production goals should be lowered.

it's not the best

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Granada Hills, CA

ProsI really like working around the environment I pretty much know where everything is at, it's a pretty easy job for me

Consthe schedule is horrible, the pay isn't very good considering you're doing a lot of work in a four hour shift, don't expect full time hours that's only for management or some cem's, they play favorites a lot, If you don't make the money planned for the day and have a closing shift expect being rushed out

Advice to Senior Managementgive the people who deserve more hours more hours

Rotating store manager for large volume store

Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) Ventura, CA

ProsYou get an employee discount.

ConsSay goodbye to weekends, holidays, and any of your family time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the schedules out on time, Manager get hands on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

For retail it is not a bad place to work.

General Manager (Current Employee) Foothill Ranch, CA

ProsMany great people to work with and work for.

ConsIt's retail. The commute is horrible and there is not a great work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate places too much of an emphasis on what they think, rather than what they know. The answers come from the stores, not to the stores

Unsatisfied Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Tustin, CA

ProsFlexibility in schedule. Great co-workers. Nice products.

ConsAlthough Michaels has always been understanding of my limited availability there have been many times over my three years there where I would get anywhere from 1-5 shifts a week. Being a family woman such unpredictability makes it difficult to know how much money you'll have to pay your bills. Michaels is known for its lack of training new hires and for giving new employees, especially seasonal ones, more hours than its long term employees. There are rarely enough people to work the sales floor during the day leaving too much mess for the closing team. Their bins out on the sidewalk are precariously put together and there is too much weight stacked on it causing injury to some closing team members either through the bins running over their feet, items falling on them, or back injury from pulling them in every night. You are not likely to be promoted from the inside but at least can expect a yearly raise if you really bust your butt. Do not expect recognition for your hard work as, sadly, management does not seem to care enough to give it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your new employees better. Spend some money on better storage for the sidewalk to avoid employee injury. Do something for your employees of the month or employees celebrating their anniversary there. Use some money on putting at least 2 more people on the sales floor during the day. Give more predictable hours. Make a 2 week schedule so people are not left waiting to figure out if they work or not a few days after they receive their schedule. And provide more opportunities for your employees to move up into management.

the people you work with are very nice

Stock Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosthe people on the floor look after each other

Consthey have too many shifts, and they keep switching around

Advice to Senior Managementkeep shifts constant; huge turn around because by moving hours people can't go to school or get a second job

it's a nice job if you like arts and crafts, but not nearly enough hours.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Granada Hills, CA

ProsThe store is awesome and I love being around the things they have in the store an helping people.

ConsThe only people who get consecutive hours every week are the managers, everyone else gets little to nothing, I've been at michaels for five months, I'm probably one of the best people I can sell anything but I'm working only 12 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees who actually do their job efficiently and quickly more hours, over the ones that they favor.

Good and bad.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Inglewood, CA

ProsMeeting new people everyday and learning a great deal about art and crafts.

ConsPoor store management, constant change of managers and none of them ever knew how to run the store or bring structure to the store. For some reason they kept hiring and hiring more people which caused the older employee's hours to be cut drastically (sometimes I would only work 4-8 hours a week). Mangers only cared about themselves and their "favorite" employees. The favorite employees would often slack off and would essentially get paid to do nothing. Requesting days off was pointless, managers never looked at employee's request (it personally happened to me). Who ever was in charge of the schedules never put into consideration about our other part-time jobs or school schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that have actual experience in managing stores. Managers that are truly leaders and care about all employees.

Must love to work with products and not people

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Lakewood, CA

ProsSolid and stable company with a good outlook

ConsNo life outside of work. They try by giving every other weekend off but then you are working 6 days in a row every other week.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore work life balance. It is not OK to work managers to the bone so that the work gets done Don't be so stingy with labor and payroll.

It has been fun but something new needed

Night/Weekend Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIt is a fun environment and a great place for a first job or any students.

ConsIt is constant change. Snobby customers in LA. Sometimes store managers belittle its employees just have to ignore and move on.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter communication with employees. Store manager belittles employees.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!