Michaels Stores Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is useful if you're an artist (in 85 reviews)

• arts and crafts enthusiasts ideal job (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • part-time medical benefits being taken away (in 76 reviews)

• We've lost 5 amazing people just this year because they left to pursue other jobs that hired them full time with a crap ton more money (in 74 reviews)

1. Michaels Distribution Center

Former Employee - Material Handler in Lancaster, CA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Lancaster, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

The work was fast paced as a material handler so time flew by quickly. HR was very understanding and reasonable. They also held fun activities for employees every so often.

Cons

when work was light, we were sent home early so it kind of messed with our pay. But I guess that can be said for any warehouse nowadays

2. I love my job.

Current Employee - Cashier in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

The atmosphere is very bright and optimistic, my coworkers are lovely people and I enjoy working and talking with them, we sell honestly good products that inspire creativity, and it's wonderful to see people happy with their purchase and what they plan to make with it. I've heard many sweet wedding stories, people making the most intricate designs or the most darling. I love my job.

Cons

They hire a lot of part time workers so hours are sparse unless you've specialized in a class or a department like framing.

Advice to Management

The management at the michaels I work at is the best. They are so supportive and kind and upbeat, and genuinely care about you.

3. Department Manager

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great team atmosphere

Cons

Low wages in management, retail hours and working holidays. Ridiculous 'point system' for clocking in/out at the wrong time

5. Sales Associate / Cashier

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun store, great discount - 25%. But in four years of working there, my salary only went up by $.75. It was insulting as we had to attend meetings where we were told how well the store was doing financially.

Cons

At least at the store I worked at they did not give any promotions to older employees. Teenagers got all the good positions and better pay/raises. Most positions are part time and they are strict about clocking in and out on time. They also hire too many people so some weeks employees may only see as little as four hours on their schedule.

6. LOVED IT! Wish I had pursued this job earlier in work experience!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-As P/T Seasonal....made comfortable -Team oriented with encouragement to perform well enough for Permanent hire position -Sympathetic to individual personal problem (ex:undue situation led to unexpected homeless situation, very understanding and proposed possible assistance depending...)

Cons

Really weren't any...well MAYBE the process to re-apply is same as new-hire...wish I could contact corporate and establish a 2nd chance-temp to perm trial that I totally win because I am dedicated and appreciative as well as determined and focused!

Advice to Management

They seem to have a well structured program, so I feel I should just state....Keep up the greatness...you have a loyal previously seasonal worker who would and continues to praise such an establishment!!!!

7. Disappointing

Former Employee - Seasonal Fulfillment in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Fulfillment in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- If you like/love crafts. Its a great place. - Decent discount.

Cons

- Schedule is (hopefully) made on Wednesday night. You could have to work Thursday morning (graveyard shift), without knowing until schedule comes out. -- NO training - Get 4 hour shifts maybe 3 or 4 days. - NEVER enough time to do the tasks you are supposed to. - Treated like animals - no respect. - Products are all non USA Made. Disrespectful.

Company SUCKS to work for, but co-workers are awesome!!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to work if you are a crafty people person. Lots of new merchandise all the time to learn about.

Cons

The schedule is (hopefully) made on Wednesday night and you could have to work that Sunday without knowing until schedule comes out. The company does not want to pay to have coverage on the floor/ registers. There is NO training in this place, which is ridiculous! You only get 4 hour shifts maybe 3 or 4 days a week and NEVER enough time to do the tasks you are supposed to do, as you are too busy trying to collect emails!! It is so stupid to be focused on customer service to turn around and have 1 cashier and 1 on the floor, so that there is NOBODY on the floor to help customers because the line is getting long, so you get called for back-up.

Advice to Management

How about you people spend a little more money getting supplies needed and coverage on the floor to make the customers happy!! Word of mouth goes a long way and nobody is happy when they cannot find what they need or the line is a mile long!! The schedule should be made a minimum of 1 week ahead....not 3 days!! If you'd pay slightly higher than minimum wage, you'd get what you pay for with at least half of your employees!!

Good for a first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Encino, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers were friendly and easy to get along with. Easy and helpful training.

Cons

The pay isn't great for all that they make you do working only part-time. Not much room for growth, employees seem to stay stuck in the same place for a while.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities for growth to move higher up.

10. Overall a fun and creative outlet for a work environment.

Current Employee - Custom Frame Manager in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Custom Frame Manager in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like working with your hands and feeling a sense of accomplishment on a job well done, then framing is for you. You can release your creative side and use artistic skills to help create designs that are completely unique.

Cons

If you can handle a fast pace work environment and can retain all the knowledge that is needed to understand your job to its fullest extent then you really don't have any cons to worry about.

Advice to Management

The management does a great job at helping you with your team and putting you on the right path for success. The only advice I might give is for upper management to understand the value of some of their more knowledgable staff and pay them more accordingly.

Stay Busy

Current Employee - Cashier in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- flexible for school hours - great co-workers - Get to really connect with customers

Cons

- Low pay! Have been working here for around 2 years and I'm still making minimum wage! - Time off sucks! You MUST work thanksgiving and black Friday as well as christmas eve! My significant other is in the military and when he only gets holiday leave for a few days like thanksgiving and christmas i have to spend my time working at Michaels and miss seeing him! - too many employees = not enough hours! - Management is rude! Especially when the holiday season comes around! They could care less if you are going out of town or have some important family matter you're working while they get the time off cause they're management. - Pressure to get everyones email (almost got fired because i didn't get any emails one day) - Never praised for any job well done - No opportunity to move up

Advice to Management

re-evaluate how you run this business. stop treating employees like we are stupid or don't deserve anything and give us some praise when we do something worth praising!

Showing 39 of 1,436 reviews