Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Great store

Cashier (Current Employee) Moorestown, NJ

ProsGreat managers, all of them. The team members are all pleasant to work with, always ready to help and answer questions. I am very grateful to be part of such a wonderful group of people. The manager works with you as far as needing time off and is very fair and understanding. I love going to work!

ConsSome of the customers have attitudes that have to be dealt with. Otherwise, I have no cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing their best and I say keep it up!

Great co-workers, decent hours and fun environment.

Replenishment Associate (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing. After the holidays when seasonal items go on sale, we get a 40% discount plus the sale price, and can choose what we want before the store opens.

Nice co-workers, everyone is very friendly and understanding/helpful when you make a mistake, especially when you're new. However, there is the one guy/girl you will have a problem with, like any other workplace.

Rewarding experience, especially for framing and replenishment crew as they can come in to the store and look at/be proud of what they accomplished during the day.

Management is very nice and understanding, and almost 100% of the time grant you time off requests unless at least 3 other people from your team have also done it, or its peak season like Halloween or Christmas.

They are VERY flexible with when you can come in, which is a possible reason they have so many employees. Like stated earlier, you are almost guaranteed a day off or will never come in before/after a time you have stated unless they are DESPERATE for people.

Very nice and easy to use online scheduling system. Changes are made available to view immediately and can be adjusted as many times as needed. All my friends either have to go into work to view/collect the weeks schedule each time there is a change, or get an email EVERY time ANY employee has a schedule change.

ConsNo set schedule or hours. Some days I am there for 8, others 4, and a few times only 2 hours. There is never any set schedule, so flexibility is key to this job. They require 14 days notice to have a day off, so you need to make plans with friends way in advance and not assume you will or wont be working certain days.

The time frame is also not the best. One week you could start shifts at 9am, and the next week it could be 5am. They do try and keep some consistency here though. Replenishment mostly starts at 5 and works until 9am, 11am or 1pm, framers always start at 9 and work until 1:30, when the next framer comes in to close at 9pm. Cashiers always start at 9am also, but they tend to put teenagers on this position so there will be a staff change at 1pm and 5pm. Finally, sales floor members are also 4 hours, and are coming and going throughout the day.

Hours (again). They also do like to hire too many people or not enough people, making it very hard for everyone to get many hours during the week. However at the 2 locations I worked at, the bosses did play favorites and gave some employees on the same team more than others.

If you are not a manager of a department or of the whole store, you will not be full time. Ever. The most you will ever work in a week is 25 hours. The benefit package they tell you about is simply an exclusive club for managers and team leaders. However, you aren't missing much.

Some employees keep to themselves about when they have a problem, and leave it alone for others to find, making double the work. Like if they broke something, or couldn't find the correct home for an item, they just leave in on a random shelf instead of cleaning it or asking for help.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive current employees more hours instead of constantly hiring new ones. There is literally a new employee every 3-4 weeks.

Great place to work. Friendly associates, great creative customers.

Sales (Current Employee) Woodbridge, VA

ProsFun, creative, fast paced, learn something new everyday.

ConsThere is very little monetary raises.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The job was mostly rewarding.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Spartanburg, SC

ProsGreat customer interaction, knowledgeable associates, very hands on without the need to be an expert in anything. Rewarding to get a project just right for a customer.

ConsThere is a disconnect between field management and store management. The expectations changed without any real idea of what it took at the store level to complete your project or goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in the stores to be an asset to managers and not just to point out failures.

Short experience due to employment elsewhere, but great

Cashier (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsFriendly managers, working with materials related to my interests.

ConsI would have liked to have been immediately trained to be in framing (what they said they'd like me doing, since I had experience with matting artwork etc).

It could be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's good for a first job

ConsIt's a nightmare if you don't like tiny trinkets and stuff...

I learned the value of team work.

Cashier (Current Employee) Carlisle, PA

ProsThe coworkers, the atmosphere of creating, and the attitudes of the people.

ConsManagement was laid back on most days.

Easy work place.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsThe work is easy, the people are friendly, and this is a job you can do in your sleep.

ConsCannot get over 12 hours, and the pay is minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many new people and give hours to the people working there.

Have work ethic and ambition? You have a career.

Replenishment Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPromotes from within. If you come in and decide you want a career, you will have one. You won't always be equipped with the training most people demand they need, but if you're a go-getter... this company is the place for you.

ConsHigh workload. They expect a lot from their associates for the compensation provided. Great opportunities for advancement, but you have to fight through the trenches to get to that point.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery person thats been around from sales to cashiering to management knows that the replenishment crew are the heart and soul of the store's workforce. Compensate them. Stop jerking them around. We lose great employees and potential assets because we pay the employees we demand the most from the same wage as sales associates and cashiers...and then give them less hours than the aforementioned. They can't survive on minimum wage (or close to it) and 5.5-11 hours a week. And we can't thrive with complete turnover every 3-4 months.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oswego, IL

ProsFlexible environment, new products always arriving, knowledgeable staff. Lots of community opportunities through teaching classes and fun birthday parties for kids

ConsUpper mgmt not actually working in a store, sometimes unrealistic with expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult store level staff more for hands-on ideas to improve day to day operations

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!