Michaels Stores

1,108 Reviews
2.9
1,108 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Depends Heavily on the Store; Company = Not so Great

I have been working at Michaels Stores (more than 3 years)

Pros

-flexible scheduling
    -close knit employees
    -some room for creativity
    -not overly challenging, just tedious
    -promotes from within; I personally have had great experiences in the growth aspect at Michaels due to a very supportive SM. the store is always looking to find candidates who already work there to fill a higher position rather than bringing someone new in
    -some great, supportive managers on store-to-store basis
    -you meet some great artistic people, both employees and customers
    -flexible transfers. I know quite a few people who have transferred from one Michaels to another with little trouble, as well as leaving for school and being welcomed back when they are available to work again.

Cons

-poor HR
    -constantly understaffed; 2 people required to do the work that 10 people would normally be assigned to
    -constant corporate visits and 'new ideas to implement' without the time, people, or resources to do so
    -corporate has no backbone; they give SOPs to follow, then scold you for following them at the first hint of customer dissatisfaction
    -outdated technology
    -loss prevention focuses disproportionately on employee theft. takes little to no action to prevent the constant grand theft carried out by 'customers' on a regular basis
    -regularly schedule more people than payroll allows for, then cuts the employees the day they are supposed to come in OR
    -underschedules and then depends entirely on manager on duty to 'call people in' who often, understandably, already have plans on their day off
    -overall, corporate is VERY stingy with their money, seemingly to their detriment in the long run. customers are constantly complaining (about most of the stores) having no one on the floor or not enough cashiers, often leaving their merchandise in their carts because they either can't find help or the lines are extraordinarily long.
    -very little training; it is really on a day-to-day basis, which is good in some ways because the employees learn as they go, but a really terrible method when the new employees need to call for help during every other transaction because they weren't trained to deal with that particular situation. problems still arise with employees not knowing certain things months after they've been hired because there is no proper training

-better training for new employees
    -more support of employees (corporate, not in-store) overall
    -more logical SOPs, and follow through with them
    -better communication methiods

Overall a good job

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hickory, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Great people to work with, nice atmosphere, customers are normally very nice, tasks are generally easy, and get to see all the pieces of art done by customers.

Cons

No real training, pay and the hours stink, email collecting is a major part of the job, and have to work long hours just to get a break.

Treat employees better and give some sort of a raise.

Quit after 5 years. Frustrating management and company practices. Good and bad, some nice people there.

Former Employee - Sales Specialist/Events in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist/Events in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Creative surroundings are a plus. Lots of pretty things to look at. Free craft classes for employees (supplies not included, of course) Birthday parties for kids were fun. Get to move around a lot.

Cons

Full time employment required open work availability making other aspects of life unrealistic to pursue e.g. education, or any other activities outside of work. Hours range is all over the place and schedule is different week to week. Raises yearly on lower half of a dollar hourly, usually around .30-.50 cents. Can take years for promotions to become available and usually require working in a different city away from where you're living. Lots of waste and seasonal products thrown out. Lots of junky pre-landfill products sold. Various invasions of personal privacy e.g. bag and coat checks daily and all locker combos required to be kept on file to search employee lockers whenever.

Show your employees you value them as assets to the company. Give incentives. Foster and encourage growth and development.

Worth the work

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Durham, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

While the customers are rude most of the time, the other employess at this location are great. My boss is understanding if we need to switch shifts with each other, she doesn't overload us with work, and if we need extra hours she makes sure to either schedule for some extra days or call us in first when someone calls out.

Cons

Don't always get enough hours to start off with, and can't always find someone to switch shifts with if I absolutely need to be off that day. Small store, so it gets very crowded very quick.

A slight raise for sales associates and cashiers would be great. For dealing with people the way that we have to do, I believe we deserve to be paid a little bit more. 9$ an hour or so as a base pay would be a good start. Firing people who do not do their job and excessively call out for no reason would be a huge improvement also.

Used to be great / now not so much

Current Employee - CEM in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - CEM in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Fun environment if you like arts and crafts. Clean stores and ever changing merchandise . Flexible scheduling if you're part time or non management .

Cons

WAY, understaffed. Expectations are ridiculous with the amount of work vs the amount of help you are budgeted for. Not a lot of room for advancement .

Go back to having more than 1 FT. Sales associate . We used to have 4 not including framing and now we have 1 with the same amount of work. It's unachievable. Hobby Lobby kills us on the customer service because of the lack of people in the sales floor. Hold managers accountable ,stop slapping wrists and dangling carrots in front of people who are genuinely interested in moving up . Associate appreciation is lacking which creates poor morale . That along with low wages for part time associates does not make for a successful operation .

An experience worth making

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers
    Decent pay
    Flexible hours
    Usually nice customers
    Fun environment

Cons

Can be very hectic especially around the holidays

Job was fun, employees weren't

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job was really enjoyable, most customers were nice to talk to. You get the chance to be creative and helpful. Generally, its a pretty easy job depending on who your working with.

Cons

Weekly goals were difficult to reach and when you did reach them it still wasn't appreciated or noted. Many other employees had trouble preforming their jobs and needed more assistance then they should've, managers were often rude and difficult to work with.

Recognize when your employees do well and pay attention to how people preform their jobs. To many people were detrimental to the over all production in the frame shop which made everyone look bad.

Relaxed

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job is easy, customers are nicer than the average person, laid back environment.

Cons

shifts are short to cut costs on benefits, which causes you to work more days of the week for decent pay check.

give employees shifts longer than 5 and a half hours if thats in your power.

Good start

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Fun people to work with

Cons

Tough hours to work with

Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provides great training to effectively perform job role

Cons

minimal room for advancement, Takes extremely long to move up in the company

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!