Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated April 19, 2015
1230 reviews filtered by
1,230 Reviews
Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

Replenishment Specialist, Sales Associate, and Cashier

Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in San Jose, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Great first job/transition job for students, flexible hours, quick hiring process, opportunities for advancement available, co workers, customers, projects and creativity, and 30% discounts on merchandise.

Cons

Not enough hours granted to allocate the necessary amount of employees on the schedule to complete all-store tasks, the work of 15 people is expected be done by a team of 6 in a part-time shift, short-handed most of the time, multiple job responsibilities expected to be executed under one sole job title, and overall work insisted does not justify pay rate.

Advice to Management

In a perfect world, I would advise the allocation of more hours to stores so the necessary employees can be scheduled on a needed basis, especially low level performing stores that need that little extra help to demonstrate they can meet the expectations of an A store. With that in mind, if current employees specifically those holding the most longevity in the company would be considered being compensated just a bit more, then they may continue performing what they love doing with more speed, quality, and consistency. With that said, perhaps there wouldn't be a need to hire more employees during peak and non-peak seasons.

Good steady work in a poorly run company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is steady and not difficult. As you discover in any retail job, the customers are generally some of the worst human beings imaginable, but it can actually be fun to help them realize their project goals sometimes.

Cons

Pay is not very good, and raises are absolutely atrocious (a 'good' raise is $0.30-$0.60/hr). Management cannot focus on a single goal at a time, and consequently, every aspect of the store suffers. Easy work can attract lazy workers. Extremely few hours for PT employees. Company absolutely refuses to have as many employees on hand as needed (have you ever been there and not seen a single employee on the floor to help you find something? Michaels is aware of their terrible customer service and refuses to do anything about it. Embarrassing.) Everything sold at the store is incredibly cheap plastic junk from China that is marked up so high from cost that it should be illegal. Whereas it used to be an artsy store that smelled of paint and crafting, and was full of supplies and happy workers, now it just another big box store that smells like plastic and sells junk that people glue onto other junk - the art is gone. Morale is extremely low among employees. The corporation is focused more on things like collecting emails and addresses from customers to bomb them with ads than actually helping the customers in store.

Advice to Management

Return to the basics of customer service. Give the hours needed to keep employees on the floor helping customers, stocking, cleaning, etc. Saving a few dollars by only having one person on the floor to help (who inevitably ends up on the register anyway) is a poor model for good customer service. Focus on making the current customers return because the have a perfect experience rather than trying to get their email addresses to fill their inboxes with spam.

3. Great Atmosphere

Former Freelancer - Scrapbook Instructor
    Former Freelancer - Scrapbook Instructor

I worked at Michaels Stores (less than a year)

Pros

I was able to make up my own class schedule. Manager was flexible with with my availabilty due to the distance I was traveling.

Cons

There was not enough interest in classes so a lot of times I would go to work with nothing to do.

5. love my job

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Good discount, nice co-workers, creativity encouraged

Cons

Low intro pay, never get weekends off

Good place to work if you're not trying to make a living.

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Scarborough, ME
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Scarborough, ME

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Enjoyable and creative work. Mostly relaxed environment although the Christmas season is always hectic. I learned a lot about framing and art preservation.

Cons

Frame Shoppe was a little understaffed so any schedule changes were difficult to make. Pay was not very high for a job that involves sales, design, production, and customer service. Software could be very glitchy, but it did improve while I was there.

Advice to Management

Michaels needs to pay more competitively, especially in the framing department. Don't micromanage so much: Corporate dictated exactly what tools were and were not allowed in the shop, but that did not include basic things like a utility knife or hand-held mat cutter. Corporate should trust trained employees to do a good job, or at least visit a store to see how jobs actually work.

7. Replenishment mgr

Current Employee - Replenishment Manager in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Replenishment Manager in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

The employee discount is great!!

Cons

Not enough time in the day!!

8. Cashier and Class Instructor

Current Employee - Cashier & Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier & Instructor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and supportive management, as well as competitive instructor commission with the ability to develop my own teaching schedule. Great employ discount--larger than most retail employers offer. I began as an instructor, and am very happy with the management that sees and reward potential with more work opportunities.

Cons

Low pay--as with nearly any cashier/retail position. It isn't a living wage, which means my great employee discount can rarely be put to good use.

Advice to Management

Continue working with and for the working body; I've seen great strides in store organization, and progress with efficiency. It is a promising outlook, and am hopeful that this progresses.

9. Not what i expected

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in League City, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in League City, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Fun co wokers. Helpful manager. 15 min breaks.

Cons

rude customers get pdr if you dont get 25% collections

Advice to Management

Stop forcing employess to ask customers for email address.

10. Business Analyst, E-Commerce

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Great company, great salary, great benefits. Very amiable environment. I worked at the Coporate Headquarters in Irving, TX.

Cons

None that I can name.

11. customer experience manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

People were excellent and others mangers very nice too. Nice store to work in and had a great time helping customers with craft projects.

Cons

You are in a very busy environement and on your feet for a long time. A few bad customer experiences, but 90% of the customers were very nice.

Advice to Management

Good job in supporting your people.

Michaels Stores Photos