Michaels Stores

1,034 Reviews
2.9
1,034 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the company I helped to build.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome associates, compensation, discount was good. The time off policy is good in writing, but not strictly adhered to.

Cons

The company has grown considerably, as has the double standard of upper management. Before we (the company) can publicly declare that (I believe that we will win!!!") you should probably have a plan to determine exactly how "we will win"

Personal growth is ok. If you want give up all you hold dear. There is no such thing as a work-life balance. The benefits get worse every year, every year for the past 5 I have had to prove that the same 4 kids are mine and legally insurable. There are surcharges ($500) for insured associates AND ($500) for their spouses if you do not complete an "optional" health screening annually. It will also cost you an extra $1000 a year if you are a smoker.

Good employer with ability to advance

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in New York, NY

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyable work environment. Good place to learn how a retail store is run. Good job setting if you're a self-starter who can work without much supervision.

Cons

Retail schedule is tough.

Ok job..

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Easy for a college student's schedule

Cons

No chance for advancement/ no adequate reviews

Motivate your employees

Miss working there....

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in Naples, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work at Michaels for almost 10 years between 2 states. I was paid well and I worked hard. I am a crafty person so it was an ideal job!

Cons

Lack of staffing...customers kept waiting. Lots of hours in busy season and none is slower.

List is advice to corporate. You gotta spend money to make money. A lot of people walk out unhappy and without purchasing what they came in for because the register line ups are long or there is no one on the floor to give them help.

Good advancement opportunities, great co-workers

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The coworkers are great, the products are a lot of fun, and there are lots of advancement opportunities if you are hardworking and responsible.

Cons

The customers can be pretty awful. I have other retail experience, but Michaels in particular seems to attract rude, miserable, high-maintenance soccer moms who are trying to distract themselves from their loveless marriages with a perfect Pinterest-ready craft project.

Seasonal part time sales associate

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great associates, discount, hours are ok

Cons

Pay is at min wage, most sale items do not ring up on sale, some managers need up training and/or sensivity training, no steady hours- scheduled until 10 but usually leave early and don't get paid for it, extremely unrealistic goals to ask for emails- we ask but the customer doesnt give - hours reduced

Uptrain mgmt, come up with another policy with emails, maybe have a loyalty program or send them a $5/off for shopping, etc

Good first job but that's it

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Blaine, MN

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Business gets busy and really slow so you have time to rest. Easy job. Good first job teaches great customer service skills and cashier skills. They move you to sales associate after a few months so you can get skills in that also. Not very many employees total so keeping names in line is easy.

Cons

Can't get very many hours. I only got about 10-15 a week. Had to work thanksgiving but was sent home after an hour because it was slow, my family was already up north by that time. Pay is not good but for a first job it is something.

Fun Place to work for but still.....

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Class Instructor in Middletown, RI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Class Instructor in Middletown, RI

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very fun to work for, especially if you love to craft and create. Nice co-workers. Family Friendly.

Cons

Not so great pay, Minimal Hours, Too many seasonal employees (not enough hours for the rest of us) Email Collection goal is unrealistic. Timing our transactions is unrealistic as well. Customers will always have questions that need more time. No benefits for Part-Time employees. You will not be full-time unless you are a manager. If you are a Class instructor you get the same pay as a sales associate (it should be more) Class/Event Supplies should not get thrown out, they should be given to charity. Kids club crafts should be more simple for ages 3-6, 6+ can be more complex, easier directions to do the crafts as well. Our classroom is always freezing cold so maybe easier access to heat. Outdoor displays should be kept inside on very cold/rainy days.

Better training guideline. More experienced management. Easier to read coupon exceptions. Easier access to the heater. No outdoor display.

Fun and creative

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A fun place to work. I like staying busy and there is always something to do.

Cons

Email requirement is way out of hand, especially if store is busy. Would you rather we wait on the long line or get emails? Customers get upset that we ask them over and over for their email. District manager needs to talk to employees not only management. Hours get cut in half for part time people but then there are 3 managers in store,how is that a budget cut?

Listen to employees

Friendly people

Current Employee - Cashier in Garner, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Garner, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I LOVE LOVE LOVE working at Michael's. I think I might even try for career since I love it so much!

Cons

Never get advancement or full time! People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time.

None! I think they do a seller job!

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!