Michaels Stores

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Michaels

Current Employee - Replenishment
    Current Employee - Replenishment

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Working at Michaels is okay. It seems to me people get hired very easy, they of course hire a bunch (about 20 depending on size of store) of people around seasonal time and you basically have 1-3 months to prove how good you are and you will probably be kept.
    The work environment really just depends on how good & bad your managers are. If they are lost & dont really know what they are doing then everyone else is lost too.

The employee discount got better this past year, it used to be 20% off entire purchase regular price items, but thats dumb because there is always a 40% off coupon, so everyone just used the store coupon. Now the discount is 30% off entire purchase sale & regular price, so when the seasonal items hit 80% off and then you get the 30% on top of that its pretty awesome.

If you are available, rarely call out, work hard, & show some common sense you could get promoted pretty fast. They definitely like to promote from within so that is available.

Coworkers are friendly, its a creative craft enviroment, so people are always bringing in bakes goods.

401k plan for everyone, it use to be they met every dollar, I dont know if it is still that.

Cons

Fight for hours, if management likes you, you get hours if they dont you dont. But in my experience the workers who work hard and arent complete idiots get at least 12hrs, I usually get around 20- 35 hrs. It helps if you can do multiple things. If you are on replenishment ask to be shown how to do register/sales floor and vice versa. Management just likes be able to have someone be able to do whatever comes up.

Not a lot of full time positions available, its usually just manager, asst. manager, replenishment manager, front end(sales floor) manager, & framing manager. Other jobs like replenishment specialist & floral designer vary depending what size store or volume store it is.

Higher corporate people have unrealistic expectations, they want everyone to do more with less hours, they start up stupid rules or store promotion things. So you can tell they never actually worked in a store.

glitter everywhere! Especially if are on replenishment team and stocking product during the christmas season, you will be covered in glitter.

Train! Train! Train! People do better when they know what to do and what is expected of them.

I like working for this company not the best job but I can see future opportunities.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's nice to work on the sales floor because you can talk to anyone, learn new things daily

Cons

Michaels have over 900,000 skus over 50,000 items all from frames, jewelry, craft, paint, school supplies, seeing, decorative items, cooking and seasonal and floral etc

Work harder recognized employees more give them support.

Everchanging

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work hard, make money & take a partner

Cons

Leadership changes lead to inconsistent direction

Be Consistant

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's alright, but does need a lot of improvement

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people to work with the only thing that makes it enjoyable, store manager not so much he always calls the employees lazy. nice discount though. Managed to get a week off for family reasons after only being there for 2 months. Will work with you to help balance your schedule. Some nice customers hear and there who will bring in cool things to frame. Decent pay

Cons

Bad training, they have you do an online course and it really only teaches you the benefit statements of frames and some framing vocabulary. You get kinda just thrown out to learn on your own. Not enough employees, Nearly impossible to get all the orders done with enough time to make sure they're all done right. Kind of impossible to do quality checks. Which makes for angry customers. Some have a right to be, others are just picky and are verbally abusive. Getting in trouble for not collecting emails for cashiers and for framing that with people's addresses(which feels very odd to ask). If the rest of the store needs help framers are obligated to help, but if framers need help the rest of the store will rarely help out.

Hire more people, have real training procedures for when you do hire people not just some online test after a slideshow. create some realistic goals

my time working there was well spent and i wish i had more work ethic back then.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Keene, NH

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

after a few months as a morning stock associate i was promoted to sales associate with nearly a dollar raise. the work there was easy and fulfilling all at the same time.

Cons

the only real challenges i faced were self inflicted problems.. more or less

stop with all the damn cupons as youre employers seem to respect them even if they are no longer valid

Good and Bad, overall a middle of the road experience.

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate
    Former Employee - Replenishment Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

The combination of good hardworking and amicable employees was unbeatable. Usually management was nice and understanding as they are people too, and most of them are very empathetic to life's situations.

Cons

The combination of bad management/ bad or lazy employees was a killer, everyone feels the effects. Sometimes management took the role being the disciplinarian too far, never for me but I'd seen it done and thought, "that just wasn't a fair judgement call" for the most part nice compassionate people who reward (use the term loosely) hard work though. Getting a raise was a nightmare, went into every yearly review with good reviews but cents on the raise.

The above reviews aren't from a disgruntled employee overall I was good at my job and well liked by the management, and left on my own terms for personal gain in another venture. To the management, be more selective with the managerial candidates, yes you want a motivator, and no you don't want someone who will be too much the associate's friend but sometimes the line gets crossed between a leader and a dictator.

Good job with stable company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Comfortable; there a long time. Legal department was like a family and everyone worked together well. Chance to cross function. Lots of employee activities. Good with community service activities.

Cons

Spread too thin. Paid below market; needs to get back to being more employee focused. Runs many departments too lean. Top heavy with executives. They get all the perks. Lower level employees are not compensated fairly.

Become more employee focused. Realize your value in the lower level employees.

Friendly associates, hard working associates

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We are a very customer oriented company and the manager is understanding about our employees having outside lifestyles and work well with our college students. He will work with you when it comes to family problems where he may have to change our schdeules

Cons

Not enough hours to be able to maintain above poverty level

So much fun, but not realistic with goals

Current Employee - CEM
    Current Employee - CEM

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are passionate about being creative and love a fast paced environment this is the place for you. It is constantly changing items per season. Lots of artsy things. Generally fun.

Cons

They have very unrealistic goals, if its a high volume store it is nearly impossible to get all the work done that is required of you. Really doesn't pay well. They don't give pt employees enough hours so if you have bills to pay not good job for you. Employees need better training.

Have your cooperate team analyze stores by volume and check and see if what your require of employees and management is really able to comply. Otherwise change your requirements or put more people on payroll. Also need a better screening procedure for new hires. employees need better training on merchandise, especially the best selling items.

Laid-back, fun place to work but the pay was not very good.

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Austin, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Helping customers create custom frame orders
    -Putting custom frame orders together
    -Cool people to work with
    -laid back
    -flexible
    -art supplies

Cons

-Hourly pay was low
    -sales goals were impossible to meet
    -muzak is like Chinese water torture
    -occasional impossible customer
    -the corporate computer does not have any empathy for humans

You know what's up

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!