Michaels Stores

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.9

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 70 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 72 reviews)

• If you are not a manager of a department or of the whole store, you will not be full time (in 69 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't even know where to begin.

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like working in the store, with my co-workers and love working with the customers, I enjoy helping them get what they've imagined into reality. The discount is nice.

Cons

Some unrealistic expectations. I know from first hand experience of the expectations this company is now placing on its employees. They are pushing and pushing employees to crank out 6 to 8 hours of work into 3 or 4 hours they are pushing employees to move faster and faster over looking or turning a blind eye to doing things right.. Michaels is pushing speed over safety. A person can only maintain a certain rate of work performance( speed and movement) for so long of a time( continuously for 1 maybe 2 hours, but not 3 or more) before their body gives out straining a muscle or exertion to the point of shortness of breath and becoming light headed. Not to mention the stress. Working only 2 or 3 days a week 3 or 4 hrs. each day also does not allow the body time to become used to such a routine. Employees shouldn't be in fear of losing their job so much that they work themselves to the point of damaging their bodies.

Someone needs to re-evaluate the amount of time allotted to do a task. Not all tasks times are for certain job tasks unreasonable but its very lopsided. I’d like to know when the job of a manager dealing with keeping employees on task and time turned into what is now taking place in the work place
     Corporate needs to come out from behind the desk and spend a few months as a stocker and cashier etc.

Replenishment Team Deserves Better

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great work/life ratio and they work around your schedule if you'e in school, so a great part time job for anyone who isn't looking to get a lot of hours or pay.

-Most of the employees and managers at the store I work at are amazing people. This makes working easier because you're not always on your toes afraid to be judged or whatnot.

-Basic benefits for part time employees that include life insurance, dental and vision (but none of them really cover much of anything) and you have to enroll when open enrollment begins, which may mean waiting for a while.

Cons

I will address many concerns that I have with Michaels and here are the things I will be addressing below:
    ~Low Pay
    ~Not Enough Hours
    ~The way that some of the things done at Michaels are just way too old fashioned when you compare them to other companies
    ~Not being recognized for hard work
    ~Constantly being haggled for going over hours because of things we cannot control.
    ~Hardly ever an opportunity to move up/being promoted or switch job roles

Here we go:

-Michaels does not drug test or do background checks, where as this may seem like good news to some, the way I see it is they'll basically let anyone in which causes a problem for other employees. Once you've been around the person for a while you get to learn more about them and often that turns out to be a bad thing.

-I worked with a few newly hired people that I found out some things about them that would cause other employers to fire them on the spot. I still wonder how they are still working there, even after being there for a few months and never improving their work ethics and basically being lazy and giving off a "I don't care" attitude about everything. Just makes me shake my head, we lose really amazing people who get replaced with people who just don't care. It's very irritating.

-They pay could be MUCH better. They hired me at 5 cents more than minimum wage which is still pretty bad for the amount of work the replenishment crew does for the store. We keep the store running, keep the shelves stocked and neat, we come in at 3am to unload the freight trucks, BY HAND, box by box. We get no breaks, no lunches and are constantly RUSHING around the whole time we're at work to get everything done in time to be able to get off on time (which never happens because there's just too much to do within the amount of time they allot us to have) and then we get talked down to for going over hours. I don't even have time to take a restroom break half the time because of how fast and hard we're working.

-I just recently got a raise, only of 19 cents. 19 cents? Really Michaels? My manager told me that it was so low because I had not yet been there for a full year to receive my entire 25 cent raise that I would have gotten if I had been there a full year. Then he proceeds to praise me on the hard work I do and how well I do my job and how happy he was to have me as an employee. Oh yeah, I'm sure you're really happy to have me as an employee. 19 cents is basically taxes people. I know so many more places that pay at least $8 an hour to new hires and give them automatic 25 cent raises one or more times a year. But nope not me. I was only a month off of being there for a year. A month. But nope, 19 cents is all I get.

-There are so many things that corporate can change at Michaels that would make the replenishment crews job so much easier, that would make unloading the truck go by MUCH faster, and we could get out on time like they would like us to, but the way things are done at Michaels makes it basically impossible sometimes to get off on time. Yet we get talked down to. We work so hard to get everything done, and are never rewarded for it or even acknowledged for it. When inventory and Audit came around, the replenishment crew worked so SO hard to make everything as perfect as possible so that we would pass with flying colors. We did really well, our manager and our district manager had promised us a free lunch for passing so well and working so hard. We never saw that lunch. We even asked if it was going to ever happen, our manager assured us we would get it. Never got it. So much for showing your appreciation for our hard work guys. This is why you are losing great employees.

-The work itself is not hard, what makes the job unbearable at times is the fact that everything is done in such a fashion that it's just, well, WAY TOO OLD FASHIONED! When we get our freight trucks in (which sometimes, specially in the holiday season, turns up to be a completely full trailer load just for our store) the truck is loaded completely mixed. Everything is on pallets, but the boxes are completely mixed. All of our stocking boxes have labels on them that tell you what section of the store they go in. Be it fine arts, floral, scrapbooking, candles, kids you name it they're labeled. So why do they load the pallets mixed up? Can they not put each section's boxes on their own separate pallets? Apparently not because we end up breaking down the pallets, unloading each pallet box by box and sorting them on to separate U-BOATS until they are full up, then we have to take the time to push the U-BOATS out to the store, drop the boxes on the floor in front of each section, go back, load it up again and continue the same grueling cycle until the whole truck is unloaded. Would it not be easier to have the pallets already sorted, bring them out with a pallet jack or hell even give us enough room in the stock room to have a small forklift back there so we can go ahead and pull the pallets off, the truck driver can leave and we can continue as planned. There is absolutely no reason why unloading the truck has to be this time consuming. It takes us between and hour and a half to sometimes three hours maybe a little longer just unloading the truck. Then we have to stock it all. And corporate wonders why we're always over hours!!! Even if we had plastic reusable pallets at our disposal we could load the boxes onto the pallets and go drop the pallets onto the store floor rather than taking countless U-BOATS out and unloading them. It just takes too long to do such a simple task!

-You don't get many hours. Almost every position available at Michaels is part time, unless you are management, Employees can get anywhere from 10 to 17 hours A WEEK 20 if you're lucky. You get around two to three days of work a week. If they like you and the work that you do you get a maximum of 4 days a week. Those hours, plus the basically minimum wage that they pay does not amount to a very good paycheck. Majority of the time I don't even make enough every paycheck to even have any state taxes taken out of my check, just federal and all that jazz. I get paid in one month, half of what someone would make elsewhere with just one paycheck every two weeks. It's almost insulting. "We're not gonna give you any breaks or lunches or give you enough hours a day to even allow you a lunch, but we're also not gonna give you enough hours or money to make working here worth your gas wasted." is basically how I feel. I work so hard for this company, and even though I come in with a smile on my face, ready to work and work with people I can have fun with, that isn't going to keep me there if something else pops up that pays me more. We've lost 5 amazing people just this year because they left to pursue other jobs that hired them full time with a crap ton more money. Our store manager knows this, and he hates to see them leave but there's nothing he can do about it because corporate just is not willing to pay us more.

-It's hard to move up at Michaels, specially if you are on the replenishment crew. I've seen one person get promoted whilst I've been working here and she went from being in framing to becoming a manager on duty.
    You're pretty much going to be stuck in your position for quite a long while.

This isn't just to management but to corporate. Pay your employees more! You lose so many people a year because of your low pay, as well as not giving lunches or breaks to your employees. At least that's what I've seen while working replenishment. People at McDonalds get paid more than we do and we do more work than almost anyone in the store (other than management). We work so hard for you, why will you not give us anything in return?

UPDATE THE WAY WE UNLOAD THE TRUCK! We're not cavemen. Even Pet Smart (who has the same size store as us) has room in their stock room for a small forklift and they bring their pallets out to stock onto the store floor and stock from the pallets. Why do we have to unload it box by box that are unsorted? Why are our trucks loaded like this to begin with? Can they not stack the pallets with like items/sections to begin with? Why is this being done in such a way that it takes us hours upon hours just to unload the truck. Simplifying this would make our jobs easier, and easier on you guys because we won't constantly be going over hours.

Honor your employees more. Reward them for their hard work instead of only pointing out the wrong things going on (which is rare).

Things can be done so much better around here, and I'm baffled that things are still they way they are. It's 2014, not the 1900s.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Very flexible with hours, people are nice and friendly. management does seem to care about you. good place for kids to learn about job responsibilities

Cons

holiday hours are long. You definitely aren't going to get rich working here.

Fun, stressful, decent place to work.

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to move up if you are competent and reliable. I started off as a cashier/sales associate, then moved onto part time framer after a month (awesome because of my degree in Fine Arts), then was promoted to part time Customer Experience Manager after 2 months. I'm now a full time Custom Framer. I did interview for the Framing Manager position but didn't get it. Both the Assistant Manager and General Manager wanted me in the position, but the District manager vetoed their votes....whatever. If you love art, then you're in the right place. The store and sometimes the customers are a constant source of inspiration. I get to work with other creatives, which is nice. The management is laid back.

Basically:
    1. Creative environment.
    2. If you're a good worker, you'll get hours and you'll move up easily. (Don't make yourself too readily available, or you WILL be called in ALL OF THE TIME... I made that mistake, now i'm always the go-to when someone calls out. I learned just about everything in the store, except Floral, so at least twice a week i'm being called into come in early or come in on a day off. Being "part-time" night and weekend manager...I already have no life.)
    3. If you have a bit more experience and education, you'll start off making a bit more than minimum wage. My bosses fight to get me higher pay because I do have a degree, and i'm a hard worker.
    4. Laid back management, within the store.
    5. AWESOME associate discounts that layer with coupons.

Cons

Minimum wage. If you've been working there less than a year and it comes around to appraisals, you won't get a full raise. I got a third of a raise, but that's fine because they started me off higher, and i've gotten 3 pay raises in the 6 months i've worked there.

The store is messy and very disorganized. The sales are often confusing and misleading to customers, so we get the joy of explaining things to them, which just frustrates them more. Joys of retail, right there. If we had more people on the floor, it'd be a lot easier to get the work done AND keep the store clean and organized.

Constant sales. A lot of the products are marked up in price, and there is always a constant sale going on for it. For example, canvases, frames, flowers, and ESPECIALLY Custom Framing. (Look up the dispute between the state of New York and Michaels for custom framing...) If there is always a sale....is it really on sale? It's flat out deceitful.

We are often very understaffed, but can only do so much due to the hours being given to us. As such, the few people who ARE working get very stressed very quickly because of fact that we are tasked with the store running smoothly and efficiently. This is a corporate issue, it has nothing to do with the GM and AM.

Give us more hours to schedule more people, not just during peak season. Higher pay, especially for full-time employees.

Good store fun you have a lots of good people working at the store.

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Very positive group of people
    Helpful group of people
    Offered benefits

Cons

Very Low hours!
    Decent pay
    Price checkers barely worked

Time off policies you have to wait at least 30 days to call out of work.
    Very Good company so many ways you can advance.

A decent part time job

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Occasionally getting paid for crafting (e.g. creating samples or leading children's activities)
    -Decent employee discount
    -Generally fun atmosphere among coworkers
    -Flexible hours
    -Discussing projects and crafts with customers

Cons

-Pressure for email collection. My store has many repeat customers, making it difficult to meet the percentage, which requires NEW emails. Also, many elderly customers without any email address.
    -Lack of hours overall and highly variable shifts from week to week. Customers often complain about no one on the floor to help them.
    -Strict coupon policy which directs customer frustration and anger towards employees, cashiers in particular.
    -Little chance of a full-time position. They are few and far between.
    -Pressure from corporate which, I feel, often translates into management frustration that is sometimes directed at other employees.

Part Time Worker

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Novi, MI

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not very challenging, flexible work hours

Cons

Minimum wage, managers are clueless

Lack of communication

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managers are understanding. The discount is great and I've learned a lot!

Cons

There are often changes in policies or procedures and only a few people are told about the change. Each manager tells you a different thing and it can be really confusing. The coupon policy is a little strict and costumers get really upset about that.

Maybe hold meetings monthly so each employee is aware of any changes that may have occurred with polices.

meh

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Great People, fun class events free to employees (minus supplies)

Cons

Cant buy clearance, opened from 1pm till 10 pm (meaning 36 hours) thanksgiving day/black friday, No holidays off regardless if you have a flight home or not. Pay is pretty bad... like really really bad.

Hard to move up, great for high school or college students looking for a part time position.

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in League City, TX
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in League City, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The medical, dental, and vision benefits are fantastic if you qualify for them, the schedule is relatively flexible.

Cons

Almost impossible to move up in certain stores, some store managers are incredibly lazy and take advantage of their more high-spirited employees.

Watch your store managers more closely and make sure they are keeping a paper trail of their vacation and time-off requests. Make sure all store managers are following full SOP and not half doing it until corporate comes in for safety, quarterly and homecoming audits.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!